VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I imagine this has implications for high-speed video delivery. But, I confess the technology is above my head. Could someone read the following short article and "translate" it into simpler terms?

http://www.physorg.com/news3523.html
    Quote Quote  
  2. I quess one would be.Slower CMOS Products would be Faster,Thats sounds funny as thats what I think its saying.Very Interesting Stuff Alecwest.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Means we can now have 10gb connections thru optical cables powered with cmos.Right now most people on broadband only get 10mb as it is with copper cable.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0
    Means we can now have 10gb connections thru optical cables powered with cmos.Right now most people on broadband only get 10mb as it is with copper cable.
    Nope. Apples and oranges.

CMOS isn't the conductor in the cable, like copper is. It's the semiconductor technology. The breakthrough means they'll be able to fab the driver circuits using CMOS instead of bipolar or GaAs. Much cheaper, higher volume, and higher yield from the wafers.

And, BTW, copper goes way higher than 10MB/sec in twisted pair configuration
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Capmaster
    Nope. Apples and oranges.

CMOS isn't the conductor in the cable, like copper is. It's the semiconductor technology. The breakthrough means they'll be able to fab the driver circuits using CMOS instead of bipolar or GaAs. Much cheaper, higher volume, and higher yield from the wafers.

And, BTW, copper goes way higher than 10MB/sec in twisted pair configuration
    I wasnt comparing cmos with copper,just stating that we use copper cable for our broadband and that we get 10mb only cause our servers are too cheap to goto 100mb,i know cmos is used for circuits,the article is referring to broadband connections to go to 10gb using optical.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i know cmos is used for circuits,the article is referring to broadband connections to go to 10gb using optical.
    Ahhh ... that puts things in a clearer perspective. Recently, there was a local news piece showing Verizon men installing optical cables ... cables that had the ability to carry multiple television signals (like current cable TV does) as well as ultra-high-speed Internet service. When asked if this was a competitive response to Comcast's recent upgrade, they just laughed and said, "We wouldn't know about that." My local Comcast provider just bumped up my 3ghz connection to 7ghz with no price increase.
    Quote Quote