VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7
FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Thread
  1. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Intel and Microsoft seem to be hinting at Windows 12.😱

The next major version of Windows will likely be focused on new AI-powered features thanks to x86 chip advancements.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/1/23618276/microsoft-windows-12-intel-hints
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Probably reasonable to assume the next version of Windows would be 12.
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Windows 11 update breaks PCs that dare sport a custom UI.

If you're using ExplorerPatcher or StartAllBack, this is why your computer won't start.

https://www.theregister.com/2023/03/01/microsoft_windows_11_crash/

P.S.:
    COMMENTS: https://forums.theregister.com/forum/all/2023/03/01/microsoft_windows_11_crash/
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 3rd Mar 2023 at 02:41. Reason: update :-)
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    There's a new version of ExplorerPatcher that fixes the issues.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Microsoft finally fixes Windows 11 slow file copy issues over SMB.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-finally-fixes-windows-11-slo...sues-over-smb/
    Quote Quote  
  6. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Latest Windows 11 update is causing slow SSDs & WiFi connections, BSoD, and more.

Would you really expect anything else? 🤡

https://www.techspot.com/news/97973-latest-windows-11-update-causing-slows-ssds-wifi.html
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    The formal EOL for W-10 was set for Fall 2025 (and it can probably still be used for some time after that), so no need to panic.
    Some new, negative disclosures about TPM -- one of the things I want no part of ! -- on W-11, per the AskWoody site today.
    None of my hardware meets the required specs for Win-11 in any case, and I have no reason or any plans to change it.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  8. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Windows 11 KB5023778 update adds promotions to the Start menu. 😒

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-11-kb5023778-update-adds-promo...he-start-menu/
    Quote Quote  
  9. I am extremly dissatisfied with windows 11. It is somehow worse than windows 10, and uses WAY more resources.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by ron spencer View Post
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Windows 11 makes you (more) stupid.

«Microsoft still working on 3D emoji for Windows 11.»

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/31/22910171/microsoft-3d-emoji-windows-11-work

[Attachment 63147 - Click to enlarge]
    People love Emojis.

I'm surprised there isn't an emoji OS
    well there was this https://youtu.be/iyybPvRsEuY
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Even if your copy was "Free", with 10 / 11 YOU the USER become the payment commodity . . . so, direct promos being served up in various places is simply part and parcel.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As long as there is an unlimited supply of people willing to buy a new windows every 5yrs to get slightly different rounded window edges, MS will continue to do what there doing. They know its wrong and genuinely don't care in the slightest, they thrive on undermining peoples lives, they thrive on making us play musical chairs.

Ive been with vista for nearly 15 yrs and its been such an unbelievable rock solid stable os, been using win10 on two laptops for about a year now and the amount of bugs, disgusting limitations and violations of privacy, mass intrusions with all sorts of pop ups is scary, its scary as it shows were the world is heading and the masses are driving it.

The new windows 11 wallpaper imo summarizes MS and what they represent, it looks pretty on the outside, a front, but is a complex labyrinth of poison, it their way of saying 'we have all the time in the world, eventually we will get you'

Think i will start looking into alternatives now like linux, even if it means no games, vid editing. Im fine with that.
    Quote Quote  
  13. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Microsoft is changing the function of the Print Screen key in Windows 11.

https://betanews.com/2023/04/11/microsoft-is-changing-the-function-of-the-print-screen...in-windows-11/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gurd99 View Post
    As long as there is an unlimited supply of people willing to buy a new windows every 5yrs to get slightly different rounded window edges, MS will continue to do what there doing. They know its wrong and genuinely don't care in the slightest, they thrive on undermining peoples lives, they thrive on making us play musical chairs.

Ive been with vista for nearly 15 yrs and its been such an unbelievable rock solid stable os, been using win10 on two laptops for about a year now and the amount of bugs, disgusting limitations and violations of privacy, mass intrusions with all sorts of pop ups is scary, its scary as it shows were the world is heading and the masses are driving it.

The new windows 11 wallpaper imo summarizes MS and what they represent, it looks pretty on the outside, a front, but is a complex labyrinth of poison, it their way of saying 'we have all the time in the world, eventually we will get you'

Think i will start looking into alternatives now like linux, even if it means no games, vid editing. Im fine with that.
    You always have the option of taking a still-well-functioning and app-loaded machine offline, in regard to stasis and security. That would cover things like programs and drivers no longer supported in the subsequent Win OS versions. I know personally of at least a couple people who have done that with XP. Or staying with older app versions that one preferred. (Just where you opted to get off the merry-go-round is a matter of personal preference: could be Vista or Win-7, or perhaps 10.) So, they just do their email and web-surfing with some other, more contemporary rig, which is not the "Production" machine. A tad less convenient, but I'm running multiple computers anyway, and could see myself adopting this scenario. The key issue is going to be whether the hardware remains working. I've had very limited success in transferring OS-&-All to newer, different hardware. The later (unneeded and unwanted by me) in-hardware security features like UEFI Secure Boot and that TP 2.0 (or whatever the F it is called) are additional stumbling blocks, which is why I've standardized on certain older hardware that predates those requirements. I also need to add VirtualBox Guest OSes to the toolbox: it's just a matter of the learning curve and putting in the time.
    Last edited by Seeker47; 13th Apr 2023 at 12:42.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Microsoft is changing the function of the Print Screen key in Windows 11.

https://betanews.com/2023/04/11/microsoft-is-changing-the-function-of-the-print-screen...in-windows-11/
    this has got to be one of the dumbest changes I've heard of
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The function isn't changed,it's just another choice since you can switch it back to print screen.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I use the Win 10 snip tool almost every day so that feature would be helpful to me when I ever upgrade to Win 11.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You can basically do the same thing (Snippet capture) using [WIN] + [SHIFT] + [S] in Win10. I do this weekly. So being able to do it with 1 keypress will help things.
    Especially since it is switchable, certainly NOT one of the dumbest things.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  19. Reading through some of the comments in this thread reminds me that there are way too many people that can not seem to grasp the notion that the purpose of a business is to make money and Microsoft is a business.

They sell software and services, and one of their sources of revenue is Windows. Since they can only realize revenue from the average user once, when they sell a copy, then they have to keep changing Windows enough to justify selling a new version every few years, as well as the support contracts that are associated with the new versions for businesses.

For the record, Microsoft is not alone, Apple does it with OSX, various Linux based vendors do it, it's the way you ensure business continuity.

In theory, Microsoft could have very easily stopped releasing any new Windows versions with XP64 and simply added new functionality as a service pack, such as new DX versions, new HAL's, new kernels, new GUI's, and same thing with Office, but then that would severely impact their revenue and all the people that directly, and indirectly, earn their livings from new Windows and Office versions.
    Last edited by sophisticles; 17th Apr 2023 at 22:45.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Johns0
    I use open shell plus ExplorerPatcher(https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher) lets me have the same functions as a winxp quick launch bar.
    Thanks very much for that, both make Windows 11 useable.
    Last edited by Alwyn; 15th May 2023 at 10:31.
    Quote Quote  
  21. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Century #20: "if you create a computer that even an ¡d¡0t can use, then an ¡d¡0t will use it".
    Century #21: "if you create an operating system that only the ¡d¡0ts can like, then only the ¡d¡0ts will use it"

Microsoft is getting rid of the following File Explorer features on Windows 11:

https://www.windowscentral.com/software-apps/windows-11/microsoft-is-getting-rid-of-th...-on-windows-11
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    Reading through some of the comments in this thread reminds me that there are way too many people that can not seem to grasp the notion that the purpose of a business is to make money and Microsoft is a business.

They sell software and services, and one of their sources of revenue is Windows. Since they can only realize revenue from the average user once, when they sell a copy, then they have to keep changing Windows enough to justify selling a new version every few years, as well as the support contracts that are associated with the new versions for businesses.

For the record, Microsoft is not alone, Apple does it with OSX, various Linux based vendors do it, it's the way you ensure business continuity.

In theory, Microsoft could have very easily stopped releasing any new Windows versions with XP64 and simply added new functionality as a service pack, such as new DX versions, new HAL's, new kernels, new GUI's, and same thing with Office, but then that would severely impact their revenue and all the people that directly, and indirectly, earn their livings from new Windows and Office versions.
    Then, OTOH, I use a file manager for the last easily 20+ years, that has had new, free updates every couple of years, and a light-duty graphics editor about which ditto. The latter has never asked me for more $$ after the original license, and the former has done so I think only once (with a major version upgrade), at a nominal fee. That may be fairly unusual, but is hardly unique. Of course, each of those developers is much more towards the opposite end of the scale, as compared to behemoth MicroSoft.
    Quote Quote  
  23. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Microsoft cautions that Patch Tuesday Windows kernel bugfix could break something. 😆

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-cautions-that-patch-tuesday-windows-kernel-bugfi...eak-something/
    Quote Quote  
  24. I've run an old win10 for a number of years without any updates and it run just fine (with an up-to-date antivirus and browser).

I've recently updated to Win10 22-H2 and am now faced with monthly windows update russian roulette. The fact that older win10 versions don't get updates anymore should be considered a bonus.

If you want secure, private computing probably use linux instead ? Sure, there is a learning curve but given the amount of effort it takes to get windows working... Also no need for activation.

For those who need windows and are frustrated with it, I would recommend trying out WinaeroTweaker.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I updated Firefox on my Windows 7 computer this morning. They informed me that this will be the last update for Windows 8 and older operating systems. Chrome did the same thing a number of months back. I prefer browsing on my Window 7 computer. I have the Waterfox Browser installed as well and hopefully they don't do the same thing. On my Windows 11 computer I use the Waterfox Browser for the most part.

The thing I hate the most about Windows 11 is that I set up a Microsoft Account and I feel less anonymous when it comes to browsing. I remember I installed perhaps the Brave Browser because it had a built in VPN and when it launched and it said "Welcome and my real name" which freaked me out so uninstalled it right away.

On Windows 11 I have been installing all the updates except the Windows 11 H2 and so far things have went well.

I am thinking about trying to set up a private account to use instead of a Microsoft account.

Back to browsers the thing I hate about Chrome is that even when I have it set in the settings to delete browser history on exit of the browser it never does it so I delete all that manually.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Every day my linux switch starts making more and more sense
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by rrats View Post
    Every day my linux switch starts making more and more sense
    I stayed on win 10 but started us an iMac (can't get the hang of it tp go fulltime). Linux still scares me but thinking about it. Win keeps getting worse, I can't even update to 11 not that I want to.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I have gotten to like the Windows 11 mini pc quite a bit. Not as much as my Windows 7 Desktop but it does have some merit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tom Saurus View Post
    I updated Firefox on my Windows 7 computer this morning. They informed me that this will be the last update for Windows 8 and older operating systems. Chrome did the same thing a number of months back. I prefer browsing on my Window 7 computer. I have the Waterfox Browser installed as well and hopefully they don't do the same thing. On my Windows 11 computer I use the Waterfox Browser for the most part.

The thing I hate the most about Windows 11 is that I set up a Microsoft Account and I feel less anonymous when it comes to browsing. I remember I installed perhaps the Brave Browser because it had a built in VPN and when it launched and it said "Welcome and my real name" which freaked me out so uninstalled it right away.

On Windows 11 I have been installing all the updates except the Windows 11 H2 and so far things have went well.

I am thinking about trying to set up a private account to use instead of a Microsoft account.

Back to browsers the thing I hate about Chrome is that even when I have it set in the settings to delete browser history on exit of the browser it never does it so I delete all that manually.
    I set up a private account as I installed Win11 on the advice of an IT friend. I also prefer win7 but one has to move on and now that I finally know where things are 'hidden' Win 11 is quite responsive and now do almost everything on it.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  30. Something weird today. I was using a Python Streaming Tool and it says near the top I have Windows 10. So I found out to check my Windows specs and it says I am running Windows 11 Pro Version 21H2 OS Build 22000.2176
    Quote Quote