VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a free software package that will sync up audio with the video or close to it wothout a dvd??
    John
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Need a LOT more information from you to really give you a good answer, but AviDemux and MKVToolNix both allow you to specify a delay (positive or negative) for the audio stream. If your problem is bigger than a simple audio/video offset, then your solution would also naturally be more complex.
    Do or do not. There is no "try." - Yoda
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What type of info? I have a video of someone answering a phone and she picks up the phone after the ringer rings. How would I know if its an offset? I used a home dvd and a vhs to mpg cable(totmc) from my home dvd to my computer. Is there one that allows you to see a picture and uses sliders to use the offset? John
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just for background for newer members: There are generally three main types of audio/video sync errors.

An offset error is where the sync error stays the same throughout the video.
    You can usually adjust the start time of the audio (Or video) with a offset. Some video editors have that option.

Second type is where the sync error gradually gets worse during playback. Most times that's because the audio and video are different lengths. Adjust one or the other so they match.

Third is a combination of both sync errors occurring different places during the video.
    This can happen when there are separate edits in the audio or video and they were recombined
    or they are from different sources. The fix may be to chop it up to fix each of the individual errors, not easy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by RBCC View Post
    What type of info? I have a video of someone answering a phone and she picks up the phone after the ringer rings. How would I know if its an offset? I used a home dvd and a vhs to mpg cable(totmc) from my home dvd to my computer. Is there one that allows you to see a picture and uses sliders to use the offset? John
    If it's on a DVD already, the first thing I would do is rip it directly to the computer using a DVD drive, that way you get an exact copy of the DVD. Then it's the same quality as the original, and it rules out problems caused by the process of copying it via cable as you described.

If you no longer have access to the DVD, then that's obviously not possible, but for future reference....
    Do or do not. There is no "try." - Yoda
    Quote Quote