VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    I know this must have been answered somewhere, but sorry I can't find it. So I am capturing VHS tapes from Blaupunkt RTV-950 (clone of Panasonic FS200) through a Sony TRV33 miniDV as a passthrough. The signal goes straight from miniDV by Firewire to PC to WinDV.
    It is not stated in the specs but most here agree that this Sony does have a good TBC which can't be turned on or off. The Blaupunkt does have a Line TBC. So shall I have it On and thus have 2 TBCs involved in capturing or Off? I know that I should test this by myself. For me it seems that I should turn it OFF. But I may not been so keen and don't have so good vision. So maybe there are folks who have allready tested this many times and can tell their opinion?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I also have a Panasonic NV-FS 200 and also the Sony DCR-TRV33E (what a coincidence) and used them both in combination for VHS captures in the past.
    While the TRV33 does straighten horizontal jitter a little bit, the FS 200's line TBC is much more effective at this. Thus you should turn the TBC of the FS200 ON.

However, there is one thing you might have noticed with the TBC of the FS 200/RTV-950: when engaged it does introduce a slight greenish tint to the image.
    I compared with and without captures and found that what it does is it simply offsets either the U or V channel (can't remember right now, have to look it up in my scripts) by +2, introducing the greenish tint. This can be corrected in AviSynth very easily and without loss using ColorYUV and off_u/off_v.

If you haven't noticed it yet try switching the TBC on and off while observing the image at the same time – when it's on there should be a slightly greenish tint.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TBC in Panas NV-HS930 also adds greenish tint :/
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Whell what I discovered during a playback of a TV test table through Sony TRV, when turning TBC On (Blaupunkt) the vertical lines became fatter, smeared and shadowing. With TBC Off the lines became more concrete. So I think the Sony miniDV did it's job of TBC and the Blaupunkt's TBC somehow disturbs it. When watching the same table directly to LCD the TBC of Blaupunkt does the same fine job of straightening the lines.
    Panasonic NV-HS860, LG LV 880 HiFi 6 Head, Sony SLV-SE 630 HiFi, LG BL-162W, Sony TRV33E miniDV for Capture, Canopus ADVC 55, Panasonic DMR-ES10, Sony Vegas Pro12, WinDV
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You cannot compare anything faithfully on an LCD TV as they have to apply lots of processing to the signal to be even able to display it and usually add some other things on top of that. It means nothing if it looks alright on the LCD TV but not through the TRV33 on the computer.

Originally Posted by Pinto007 View Post
    TBC in Panas NV-HS930 also adds greenish tint :/
    Might as well be just an offset on the U or V channel, can be corrected.
    Quote Quote