VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. OK, if you own a non-HDMI receiver like me, you are probably wondering how you can get 5.1 DD from various sources like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc...

I was wondering if it's possible to run a HDMI DIGITAL AUDIO TO ANALOG CONVERTER 7.1 CH like this one - https://www.google.com/search?q=1x2+HDMI+Splitter+with+5.1+analog+Audio+Outputs&source...9CemuR9PeOM%3A

Can the product ABOVE deliver lossless audio to my Yamaha RX-V1's 5.1 analog audio inputs?

Would this be better than using optical audio?

I've read of folks using Blue-ray players that have 5.1 analog audio outputs into AV's 5.1 analog inputs. Of course the Blue-ray DVD player would be doing the processing before it hits the AV receiver. Receiver would just amplify at that point.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    AC-3 is a lossy digital format. If you're asking about "lossless" to the analog inputs, the question doesn't really apply in that context. I would be more interested in the quality of the splitter's D/A converter versus the converter in the receiver. For example, I have a Denon DVD player with superior Burr-Brown converters that actually sounds better going analog into my receiver than using TOSLINK. Another issue is HDCP; will this converter pass a protected digital signal?
    Quote Quote