VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Why "Screen Record" (Desktop video capture in VLC) does not save video file. After press "Stop" button a video file with 600 bytes size saves! Video input mode is "Automatic" and all others are as default. I have not changed them.
    Any help?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ten View Post
    Why "Screen Record" (Desktop video capture in VLC) does not save video file. After press "Stop" button a video file with 600 bytes size saves! Video input mode is "Automatic" and all others are as default. I have not changed them.
    Any help?
    what type of video are you trying to screen record ??
    Quote Quote  
  3. screen:\\
    Capture mode: Desktop
    FPS: set to 15
    Convert settings: H.264+MP3 (MP4)
    Save directory: Desktop
    Last edited by ten; 4th Jan 2022 at 22:39.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    what type of video are you trying to screen record ??
    I want to record screen (like OBS) in MP4 format (x264), not capture a video.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    No! But I know there is ton of "Screen Capture" apps out there on the web like OBS, SnagIt, FSCapture, Adobe Captivate, XBox Game Bar (Windows native reorder) and ...
    I need to know what is wrong with VLC to solve it and use it as screen recorder (I use it as player and converter). I don't want to install new app, just keeping my OS minimalist!!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I am doing the exact same way to record (mentioned above).Select source as "Desktop", "FPS" to 30 and convert to "MP4". If I change output format (as webm or avi) the recorded video is shorter than real time (I don't change FPS=30).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Try "Destination File' to a real place on your hard drive instead of "Desktop". (like the sample shows in the fonepaw link)
    Make a new folder first and name it something you will remember and save to that. Let us know if that works.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by ten View Post
    Why "Screen Record" (Desktop video capture in VLC) does not save video file. After press "Stop" button a video file with 600 bytes size saves!
    My guess is the audio and video streams are disabled in VLC's capture/convert settings. Use MediaInfo to get a report on what's in the file.

Desktop is fine for VLC output. The Desktop is just another folder in Windows. Usually C:\Users\username\Desktop.
    Quote Quote