VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just bought a couple of ritek g04's and they will not burn at 4X.

I use a Sony DRU-500AX and it is supposedly a 4X burner. It can only go up to 2X on the G04 discs.

I upgraded the firmware to the latest one available but it still only burns at 2X.

Anyone know whats wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  2. check your media with DvdInfoPro to confirm type
    Always check helpfiles/instructions before leaping...
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have the same problem.

I bought a 50 pack of the Riteks, because I never had a problem before.

Now, I spend the money on a 50 pack, and these will not burn at 4X.

They came from Meritline.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The problem is not with the media, it is indeed real Ritek G04 discs.

I think the problem is with the drive itself. But i have no idea wut to do now.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought some G04 disks branded TDK and the first 6 were fine at 4x, then the next 5 turned into coasters at 4x. Then I tried burning them at 2x and they still are having problems, maybe I got a bad batch of them who knows .
    Quote Quote  
  6. not that I own the same burner (i own a lg gsa-4040b) but i had a problem with Ritek g04's. I think i had a bad batch... some people believe that 3rd parties have accidently branded ritek b grade media as a grade. Anyways 80 percent of the discs would stall out while attempting the lead-in.. didn't even burn anything on the discs. I slowed the speed to 2x and they worked fine. They were ridata dvd-r 4x's. I bought them cause i had riteks that were labelled as y's power, so i figured a ritek is a ritek. Anyways the discs play fine on my dvd player.. just burned slow.

The other day I finally got a new spindle (cause i burned through the other one).. and insteal of a dulls silver top these ones have a shiny top and are not labeled as being from RIDATA.

so it might be you also have recieve one of these mysterious bad batches of discs.

btw i'd ordered my batch from rima.com. They were cool though refund me 10 bux and mailed me some samples from another batch to see if there was a problem. the samples worked fine. Thats why i believe theres just some bad batches of ritek media out there.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I also have the dull silver top discs labled from Ridata...

Also from rima...

They burn fine at 2X, just wont go past 2X.

Its strange for Rima to have "fake media" if thats what your'e saying. Should I call them?
    Quote Quote  
  8. You have a Sony DVD burner that wont burn Ritek G04 at 4x? Join the club. If you take a look around the many forums related to dvd burning you will find you are in the majority. Most Sony DRU owners can't get this disc to burn at 4x.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Had similar prob last week with G04's - was NOT media was my hard drive! - had got stuck (thank you Micro$oft) in PIO mode instead of DMA.
    See my reply to other post (nero speed) for more info.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Check your PIO/DMA settings for your IDE controller. Make sure it is set to DMA. It only needs to be set to PIO during flashing. I had the same problem after flashing mine to obtain the 4x. Once I set it back to DMA it worked fine at 4x.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I ran a test on one of my go4's

and it burns at 4x, but when I did a test w. dvdinfopro.. my avg speed was 2.75

I think that dvd had a hiccup,, b/c it had 42 bad read errors toward the end.

I think ROXIO messed somethig up
    *New Mac user*, been PC user 4 life
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have heard of bad batches from Ritek but maybe its luck or not but I have burned well into the thousands of disks of G03's and 04's silver tops, matte tops and white tops and I have had no more than 5 disks crap out. Of those it was my fault 1/2 the time for running too many things in backround. So if your disk is rated at 4X and it only burns at 2X..........it is most likely your drive or OS setup.

J
    All I've got in this world is my balls and my word.....

and I don't break them for no one!
    Quote Quote  
  13. oh, its definately the drive, this sony dru500ax sucks badly!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Riteck sucks. Go with Memorex especially the one by CMC
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by crashnburn
    Riteck sucks. Go with Memorex especially the one by CMC
    go for it dude
    Quote Quote  
  16. ur joking right?
    Quote Quote  
  17. well, i just bought a 25-pack of 4x Princo dvd-r's, waiting for them to get shipped.... ill let you know how they hold up against this sony drive.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Crashn, I'm going to kill you! How dare you blasphemy on Ritek!!!!! :P Anyways, if you've checked the media with DVDInfo, and they still won't burn at 4x, then yes, it's most likely the drive itself, although sometimes it's the program also. I don't really know since I have a Pioneer DVR-105, but search around, and see if there's any hacked firmware floating around out there. I used hacked firmware on mine to unlock the 16x ripping speed.
    Quote Quote  
  19. well i'll back up my theory that theres some sub par spindles of Ritek's out there.

i would of shipped them back to rima.com, but didn't want to have to pay duty again when the replacements game so i opted to burn the rest of the spindle at 2x.

but the samples rima sent me to try out burned at 4x no problems. maxells i bought from future shop also burned at 4x with no problems. MY previous spindle of g04's burned at 4x with no problem and my newest spindle (which i ordered from blankmedia.ca) burns at 4x without problems.

but i've read on other web pages that some rebranders accidently labeled ritek B grade media as A grade, and thats the possible cause of some errors.

so I was only suggesting it was a probably option that I didn't get the only bad spindle of the discs.

I tried reformatting, going to future shop and getting another drive, a reformat and a reinstall of windows. Nothing solved the problem.

so I'm pretty sure i'm qualified to say i had a sub-par batch of riteks. I know how good the discs are and how highly praised they are (hence why i bought more riteks even after my problems).

so I would recommend that maybe you go to the store, see if you can find some maxell's or tdks or something that can be burned as 4x on your drive, and see if it will, buy a 5 disc package or something so it doesn't turn out to be a fluke. If that works its a good bet its the media.

hardest part of trying to pinpoint a problem is trialing and erroring everything that can go wrong

and yah my drive is set to DMA, hence why i can burn everything else at 4x

good luck, I know how bummed i got when i couldn't burn my batch at 4x.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Eveyone by now should know that Riteks can be inconsistant. Its now only the Sony, but other drives have similar problems with Riteks from time to time. Seems the problems are just more likely to happen with the Sony when using Riteks.
    Quote Quote