VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. btw Zechnubis, what dvd media brands do you guys consider to be good over in sweden? If you can get it there it should be easy to get it here too, or at least it usually is. They sell so many "lame" brands here, like "that's write" and so on, and the MMore dvd's come with all kinds of mediacodes, hard to know what to trust. Hope Samsung with Tayio Yuden medicode will be available here soon, even if it will be only in +R its worth a try.
    Quote Quote  
  2. original firmware 1.06. have no need to update. hundreds of successful burns to date. 2-3 bad burns, but was my fault. ADVICE...stick with original AND use quality dvdrs exclusively. isn't it worth an extra 20 cents per dvdr for quality???
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes Noki, its worth it, but its not THAT easy to find good media. Some say Verbatim is so great, but they too care only about profit, i bought a 50-spindle CDR not long ago where only a few disks came out right, its the worst CD's i ever used or even heard about, and they still dare put their name on it. Then when looking for DVD media i read here, and the most is about Ritek and Taiyo Yuden, which never been available here...
    Quote Quote  
  4. hi thor300
    sorry, just read your "sign" and realize you are in Norway. do they sell Memorex, Fuji, or even TDK there? They are Ricoh-based DVD+Rs and works very well on all burners. notice i said +rs, NOT dvd-rs. they are not Ricoh but CMC.
    Quote Quote  
  5. i REALLY would prefer -R but am willing to try +R if i find a highly recommended mediacode. TDK is sold here, i have considered it, if i find a nice priced spindle. Am not willing to pay for jewelcases that i need to dispose anyway. Memorex... I really dont know, but its a common brand in other media so i guess yes. One store i dropped by had Ricoh DVD's, but way overprized, $2.50 or more. There is a limit for price My samsung -R media is said to be good, BeAll G40001 code, the best reason for changing is the 4x problems, but it dont bother me much, and i still think the NEC is to blame for that. Buy a new burner first maybe Btw, Samsung +R/+RW sold here has different medicode, i tried and it sucks, i guess thats why Samsung now change to T.Y. for +R.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey thor

"Good" media over here is Verbatim, but they are freakishly expensive...
    And becuase our government is a bunch of asses, they now put extra tax on recordable dvds, so theyre screwing us over royaly... ((
    Btw, when the difference between cheap and good media is as much as it is in price, ill stick to cheap media and burn at lower speeds. A princo or SW media here costs 9 SKR, and verbatim 21 SKR. Thats a little too much to be worth it...

And also i thought my drive had miracously started burning at 4x again, but was i fooled! Today it screwed me over again, so im now running EVERYTHING at 2x.
    Doesnt anyone want to switch my nec to a pioneer 106???
    Quote Quote  
  7. Go Sweden, extra tax on dvdr is just geniously. Thanx to the politicians for saving you from this evil, its like the alcohol taxes over here Im "impressed" with Swedish politicians lately, especially the thing about making it illegal to buy sex, that one was great. So ugly people will not have sex. Unfortunately, Norwegian politicians are often inspired by Swedish, the debate about NoBuySex came here some months ago, so tax on dvdr is next maybe?

Ok, Verbatim it is, same as here. All stores sell verbatim. Around the price you said. After i got that 50-spindle of non working verbatim CDR i lost confidence to them, i really dont want to buy their products anymore. Right now theres not much choice for high-end dvd-r. If i convert to +r i could use TDK, maybe i give it a try. And i wish MMore will stick to ONE good mediacode soon.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have now burnt 50 goallover printables all at 4x it is only the ritek printables which will only burn at 2x the second 25 of the 50 that is.
    must love pain
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    actually the verbatim dvd-r are quite good quality, so try em out

Maybe i can borrow a car, go to norway and stock up on dvd-r's. How many dvd-r's can you get into a volvo?
    Quote Quote  
  10. You will not find it cheaper here, the sales tax (VAT) is 24% + a generaly higher price level here so it evens out. I think NOK is noticeable higher than SEK nowadays, so maybe I should go to sweden to fill up a Volvo instead? Need to buy cheap tobaco anyway. i made a coaster at 2x yesterday for the first time, failed to verify, maybe my drive is dieing.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    come and buy Princo here. Its crappy, but hey its cheap as hell and works @2x, so what the hell
    95skr/10pack is nice-price. until the new taxes start kicking in...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Princo here too, lots of people use it, thats what happen for those who dont check out videohelp.com first. Princo 4x is NOK 96 pr 10 spindel. 1 NOK=1.11 SEK. Tomorrow i hope to get confirmation on Taiyo Yuden made Samsung +R, only NOK 105 for a 10 spindle, 248/25 and 490/50, thats only 9.80 pr piece. If it really is Taiyo Yuden i will make a big order, but i need to be sure. Its at www.psdata.no btw, online/mail order only.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    have you tried the Samsung DVD-R from that site?
    Do you know media code?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thats the same Samsung -R as im using and having problems with 4x burns. Its BeAll G40001, thats SamsungMedias own product. If you want Taiyo Yuden DVD-R in Sweden, i just read a post about Maxell using it on disks sold there.
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=896297
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ah, great! thanx for the tip!
    Quote Quote  
  16. I think that could be an HDD Speed problem to...
    have u tried the Nero´s Speed test?
    Quote Quote  
  17. For what its worth im using firmware 1.09 with memorex dvd+r at 4x and have had no coasters in over 70 discs.
    www.play247.com sell a tub of 25 for £17.99 inc delivery.

Dave.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    dvd+r seems to work overall better with nec 1300 than dvd-r does. but it freaking hard to find 4x dvd+r at a reasonable price here in sweden...
    Quote Quote  
  19. Got packet with DVDs today, a spindle of Samsung 4x DVD+R, which in forum.hardware.no was said to be Taiyo Yuden. I cant get any apps to read the manufacturer ID with the ND1300A 1.0A, DvdInfoPro say its not there and DVDDecrypter doesnt show much. Can this be a firmware problem or is there no manufacturer ID on the disks?

Another thing, for update of earlier posts in this thread, i also got a 25-spindle of Samsung 4x DVD-R today, BeAll G40001, and burned 2 in a row at 4x with success in verifying sectors, seems like these are from a better batch than the ones i got last time.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gazorgan
    Firmware 1.0A isn't possible. Factory firmware is 1.07.
    Actually my nec 1300a factory firmware is 1.05. Unit is oem in a cheap pc and burns consistantly well. fail verify on less than 1 out of 50 including cheap media
    Quote Quote  
  21. I had the same problem with the NEC 1300a writing at 2x instead of 4x even Nero is reporting 4x. The type of media I was using is RITEKG04 and RITEKG05 these should so 4x no problem but the write seem to have a mind of its own. I reflashed many times usually with Herrie's firmware even up to 1.0B but it still does help.

I have solved the problem with the NEC's original 1.0B firmware from www.necd.de/softwareoverview2.php/id/215/ . After I reflashed with the DOS disk, it started to write at 4x again.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Fact is that Nec drive is so damn picky about the media...
    Deserted my drive and went for a Pioneer 107D, best thing I ever did.

Btw, Memorex DVD-R has media code CMC MAG. AF1, and works really really good, at a cheap price. If you can, get them. They will work great!

Been gone from the board a while, spent summer at my parents, where there is no broadband... (but lots of sun and bathing)

/Zech
    Quote Quote