VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Only been able to burn TDK 4X + media at 4X with this drive and then the burn is not playable on both my DVD players although it will play in the Sony DRU500.

Burns 2x perfectly. Wish I had the Pioneer A06 but I will also wait for the dual layer burners although the cost of dual layer media has me a bit worried.

Setup is WinXP, 2.0 ghz, 768 mb ram. Firware is 2.0G
    You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nello_AU
    Only been able to burn TDK 4X + media at 4X with this drive and then the burn is not playable on both my DVD players although it will play in the Sony DRU500.
    This is the only media I use now - TDK +R x4 (media code RICOHJPNR01)

It has played in every player I have and has also played in about 30+ different standalones belonging to friends, all without problems.

What software are you using to burn DVDs? I've used Nero 5.5 for over a year withour any problems.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What software are you using to burn DVDs? I've used Nero 5.5 for over a year withour any problems.
    I have used Nero 6.x.x and DVD Decrypter.

They both work fine at 2X so I do not believe the software is at fault.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have a DVD compliant folder then I don't think the ripper you used matters that much - especially if you've then transcoded the VOBs.

I tried Nero 6 and uninstalled it after 10 mins without trying it - too much like Disney Nero.

I'm still using Nero 5.5 - if it ain't broke, don't fix it

I would suggest trying Nero 5.5 (it is still available on the Ahead www) to see if this helps.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  5. I just can not belive that soo many people have had problems with this drive, mine has worked like a charm since day one. I got mine in the US and have updated it with new firmware every time there has been a new one out and it has always burned 4x media at full speed except crappy Princos and Prodisc. Nowdays I only use Ritek G04 printable that I get at http://www.digitalpromo.co.uk/ The service and speed of delivery is the best I found on the net. Sometimes they are actually faster than on-line stores in Sweden. The only problem is tha shipping charges are a bit high so I have to order 200-300 DVD-Rs minimum to get a fair price per DVD-R when I have them in my hand.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using dvr-r from Bulkpaq and burns with X4 with no problem and firmware 2.0H.

But my problem is that this burner only read dvd with X2 not X8 anyone has a solution to that problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most burners are locked at x2 for ripping...
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rhegedus
    Most burners are locked at x2 for ripping...
    There must be a solution to this problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The solution is usually hacked firmware. But be advised that at least in some part, the reason for locking rip speed at a measly 2x reduces the wear and tear on the drive and in theory increases the lifespan on the drive. When you consider that by a lot of accounts here, many DRU-5xx drives just make it past the 1yr warranty mark before giving up the ghost, investing in a separate DVD-ROM or CD-RW/DVD might not be a bad idea. If I said 'never rip with your burner' though, that would be hypocritical. I use hacked firmware and rip at 12x on my 105.
    Nothing can stop me now, 'cause I don't care anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Well the liteon DVDroms are only $27 so I went this route. It rips at great speeds and then I burn with my sony. It is well over the 1 year mark, I bought it from Dell in October 2002.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think that's when I got my Sony too. It was the 1st batch when the bulk of them were on backorder. Mine is still alive and kicking but I have to admit it's not my main burner. I threw it in a USB2/FW case so I can use it with all my machines.
    Nothing can stop me now, 'cause I don't care anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I have burned primarily on TDK and Maxell 2 or 2.x media - R, Sony - and + 2x media has also worked well; upgraded to TDK 4x +R now that I know that the burner can handle it.

I've only flashed firmware two times - and am a firm believer of if it ain't broke don't fix it...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As a result of the discussions in this thread I decided to upgrade the firmware of my sony DRU500 to 2.H.

As a result I can now burn at 4X including Princo Disks.

This came as quite a surprise because I actually told Nero to burn at 2X. Now all I have to work out is what is wrong with Nero.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Been using a Sony DRU 500AX with 2.0c firmware for 14 months now. I use Rictk G04's now and always burn at 4X. Have also burned at 4X using Fuji and non-CMC Verbatum. It's been a great drive for me.
    Geronimo
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I took the piece of crap back after 2 days. Talk about nightmare
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's amazing how you either love or hate this drive. I got mine back when they were first released (Oct 2002) and love it. I know it's not the flashiest any more but as long as I use good media, the drive works great.
    Quote Quote  
  17. wow, i can't believe this thread is still going 2 months after I started it.

Well, i have figured out what to do about that sony drive. It was real easy and simple. I kick myself in the head for not thinking of this earlier....

All I had to do was rip it out of the computer, throw it in the garbage where it belongs, and bought myself a Nec ND-2500a which burns my Ritek G04's at 8X FLAWLESSLY.
    Quote Quote  
  18. still on version C 500ax...Taiyo Yuden inkjet printables burn 4x no problem either dvdlab or dvda (I forget which)..never upgraded b/c if it ain't broke...heard some bad stories after upgrade although theoretically it should be no problem to re-flash
    "As you ramble on through life, brother, whatever be your goal - keep your eye upon the doughnut and not upon the hole."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    purchased my DRU-500a in November 2002. I've been running with Firmware 2.0E for some time now.

I regularly burn Verbatim and Memorex 1-4x +Rs that are RICOHJPNR01 at 4X with no problems. No coasters.

With the exception of my old Hitachi GD-3000 dvd-rom drives, the discs are fine in all my PCs and DVD players.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had 2.0H and I couldn't burn 4x so I upgraded to 2.1a (it's on their site) and i have burned about 20 disks in 2 days w/ only one coster cause the power hiccuped.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Just came across this thread because I've just updated my 500ax to firmware 2.1.

The drive was firmware 2.0c when I first bought it, and it wouldn't burn at 4x. It still wont. Nero states that it's burning at 4x, but the time taken to burn disc is clearly 2x. Also, since updating to the latest firmware, it seems to take longer than ever when writing the "Lead-in" - took about 3 minutes on the last disc I wrote, before finally continuing and writing the disc properly (at 2x). Not sure if the Lead-in issue is a media related problem?

I have never once got my drive to burn at 4x no matter what media or firmware I use. I don't burn that many discs though, so am going to wait until dual layer is up & running before I buy a new drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone-I was ready to toss my DRU500a cause it wouldn't burn DVDs. Took it apart, cleaned the lens with a lens tissue(it was very dusty) and it came back to life. Flashed 2.1a firmware and it burns at 4X. Tried it with Sony and Fuji DVD+RWs and Ritek DVD-Rs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by housepig
    I have a 500ax, it's about a year old now. I haven't had any problems burning, still on the original firmware.

I recently switched to Memorex 4x dvd-rs for most of my media (sorry, don't have a media code, but it's the ones that are on sale at Best Buy all the time). They burn fine at 4x, and they are the first brand I've found that consistently burns at 4x.
    PRODISCS03 most likely.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote