VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    rick6612 wrote:
    I checked out cdfreaks over the weekend (for some reason, we're blocked from accessing cdfreaks forums from where I work!). Lots of interesting posts, but I didn't find anyone who said they were able to burn at 8x when using any brand of 8x media with a PX-
    There are lots of interesting posts but how do you know the information is there or not. Because you've stated you're blocked from accessing the cdfreaks forums. Within some of the posts there is information. Were you able to access information from 100 days ago? If you go to the bottom of the website it has "from" button where you can choose how many days back you may read from. Have you tried using NERO RECODE? In my opinion the problems you've stated are software related.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    hi guys i am amazed at the posts of rick . I have beeen using aPlextor PX-708A drive from 15of dec 2003 with no complaints . Earlier the 4x dvd+R's i was using came from www.ukdvdr.co.uk and the brand's name was bulkpaq dvd+r( 4x). Now i am using Ritek Silver 4x (8X) Speed 4.7gb DVD+R. 25 PACK with a product code of ( pr1) which is available on the above mentioned site and burning the same at 8x without any problem. I suggest that u use the same.I have already converted many of my friend's wedding dv tapes to dvd format and they are able to play the same on different dvd player's like (sony, pioneer, philips, jvc, panasonic, aiwa) etc without any problem's.
    note: use latest nero 6.3.0.3 for burning
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by budz
    There are lots of interesting posts but how do you know the information is there or not. Because you've stated you're blocked from accessing the cdfreaks forums.
    I am blocked from accessing cdfreak forums at work. That's why I checked it out over the weekend - when I am at home and not restricted!
    Were you able to access information from 100 days ago?
    No, I didn't dig in that deep. I didn't say there was no information, just that I didn't find it. It wasn't my intention to discredit you or the cdfreaks forums. I just didn't find anything specific to successful burning at 8x speed using 8x media in the PX-708A. If you know of specific threads I should be looking at, please tell me.
    Have you tried using NERO RECODE?
    I've used Nero, but not Nero Recode. I am authoring my discs, not copying store bought/rental discs, so I'm not sure what Nero Recode would do for me.
    In my opinion the problems you've stated are software related.
    It could be software related... I don't think it it, but it could be. I suppose if you consider firmware to be a form of software, then I would say it is definitely software related.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by pentagan
    hi guys i am amazed at the posts of rick . I have beeen using aPlextor PX-708A drive from 15of dec 2003 with no complaints . Earlier the 4x dvd+R's i was using came from www.ukdvdr.co.uk and the brand's name was bulkpaq dvd+r( 4x). Now i am using Ritek Silver 4x (8X) Speed 4.7gb DVD+R.
    I have no problem burning at 8x speed when using 4x media either. That is NOT the problem. The problem is when using actual 8x rated media. Then the PX-708A will only burn at 4x speed.
    I have already converted many of my friend's wedding dv tapes to dvd format and they are able to play the same on different dvd player's like (sony, pioneer, philips, jvc, panasonic, aiwa) etc without any problem's.
    I really can't say for sure how many DVD players really have problems playing 4x DVDs that were burned at 8x speed. I just know that a friend of mine has encountered some problems.
    note: use latest nero 6.3.0.3 for burning
    I have 6.3.1.6.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I've had a Plextor drive since Dec 2003. Some thoughts:
    1. Plextor support sucks. Period. They've sucked since about 10 years ago, and they still suck. But I can say that for pretty much all tech support that I've contacted.
    2. The drive works well with branded media (approved) DVD's and pretty much all CDs. But with cheap DVD's I've only been able to find 1 in 15 brands that work (will write and then read properly).

If given the chance again, I would probably go for Pioneer, since it's said to be the most compatible with media. I don't have the budget to always buy "approved" DVD media.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    firefoxx
    2. The drive works well with branded media (approved) DVD's and pretty much all CDs. But with cheap DVD's I've only been able to find 1 in 15 brands that work
    Again
    I don't have the budget to always buy "approved" DVD media.
    I was wondering, do you use water for your car when you can't afford gas?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by HAMP
    firefoxx
    2. The drive works well with branded media (approved) DVD's and pretty much all CDs. But with cheap DVD's I've only been able to find 1 in 15 brands that work
    Again
    I was wondering, do you use water for your car when you can't afford gas?
    I must admit I am guilty of shutting off the car and coasting to save gas in my younger days. I've never had a problem with my PX-708A and media. I had crappy Memorex +RWs that I recorderd on only 10 or so times and they refused to work....
    Quote Quote  
  8. I was wondering, do you use water for your car when you can't afford gas?
    Like using only approved GM auto fluid in your gearbox.. I was thinking of buying a plextor But I've gone off the idea now.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    RabidDog

Like using only approved GM auto fluid in your gearbox.. I was thinking of buying a plextor But I've gone off the idea now.
    I guess you off to the dealership to pick up that fancy new Yugo. Let us know how it rides when you buy it, then again in a couple more month's
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    firefoxx wrote
    The approved or what I call recommended media is expensive when they are not on SALE. I purchase them when it's on sale and buy in bulk. But then again to each's own. People blame the Plextor drive because it won't burn cheap ass dvd media. If you want to use cheap ass media then don't buy a Plextor drive.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by budz
    People blame the Plextor drive because it won't burn cheap ass dvd media. If you want to use cheap ass media then don't buy a Plextor drive.
    I blame the Plextor drive because it won't burn at 8x speed on 8x media that is listed on their web site as "compatible" and "recommended." That's what I've been complaining about.

The latest word from Plextor Tech Support is that it will ONLY burn at 8x speed on Taiyo Yuden or Ricoh 8x media. Despite what the web site says, these are apparantly the only brands of 8x media that will work.

The thing that is really interesting about this is that we called Taiyo Yuden and they told us it would be at least another month before their 8x media is available to consumers. And Ricoh brand name media is not even sold in the US! It is only sold under other brand names (e.g. Fuji, etc.) and then it is a guessing game as to whether or not a particular spindle of discs will actually be Ricoh discs!

I asked several times where I could get this elusive 8x media that supposedly will work, but they conveniently dodge that question everytime I ask!

What a joke.

To make things more interesting, they (Plextor Tech Support) asked me to send them some of the Verbatim and Memorex 8x media I have so they could "analyze" it and figure out what it takes to get their drive to be able to burn this media. Evidently they cannot afford to go out and buy a couple of spindles of discs themselves for testing purposes.

Don't be surprised if a new firmware version comes out before long that adds support for burning at 8x speed on actual 8x media.[/b]
    Quote Quote  
  12. "I was wondering, do you use water for your car when you can't afford gas?"

Your argument would sound more convincing if you didn't take it to the extreme (like most loyalists). A better comparison would be "do you use octane 91 when you can't afford octane 95?".

I should have stated my normal caveat (which usually stops brand loyalists from flaming me), and that is "my experiences/opinions are my own, and other's experiences may differ".

I have a Plextor 12x CDRW, and it still works fine after tens of thousands of writes. I would have been more satisfied with my Plextor DVDR IF it was able to competantly write on more than just one cheap brand in 15. That's an apalling track record, at least FOR ME. Yes, it does what it's advertised to do, and that is write on APPROVED media, which costs roughly 8-10 times the price of cheap media. I DO have the budget to put important files on approved media. I DON'T have the budget to ALWAYS write EVERYTHING on approved media.

It's a premium, expensive drive. If you also have the money to dish out on premium, expensive media, then this is certainly the drive for you.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I just don't get it. I've been writing on crappy Pengo media with my PX-708A without any problems. It's only 2.4X media but my choices around here are limited....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    firefoxx wrote
    It's a premium, expensive drive. If you also have the money to dish out on premium, expensive media, then this is certainly the drive for you.
    What's expensive to you? I purchased weeks ago MAXELL DVD-R 4x speed from OFFICE DEPOT, buy 1 15pack spindle get 2nd 1 for free, total cost $31.00 for 30 discs that's little over a dollar each. Purchased FUJI (TAIYO YUDEN) DVD-R 4x speed 10 pack jewel case from OFFICE MAX, reg. price was $26.99, instant rebate $7.00, newspaper coupon $10.00 and mail in rebate $5.00. Total cost for it $5.20 for 10 PACK OF FUJI DVD-R, that's 52 CENTS for each disc. I call that CHEAP price for PREMIUM DVD MEDIA!!! I purchased 3 of those 10 PACK FUJI DVD-R. All using the same coupons and rebates! Is that cheap enough for you????? :P :P :P I buy in bulk when on sale!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Perhaps I should have also written my other caveat: "I don't live in the US, but in Thailand". I keep forgetting that I wrote all these caveats in another thread, and not this one. My bad, my bad.

My choices for DVD media are rather limited. No 8x media AT ALL. There are no online media shops. Ritek brand media is not sold here. There are about 20-30 different disc types sold, and that's only if you look REAL HARD. Only the very cheapest media is sold in spindles, everything else is sold individually. There are no retail stores which offer sales like Compusa with their shock price spindle sales. Sales like that just don't happen here, retail or on-line. Most stores don't even carry name brands like Taiyo Yuden or Mitsui, since most people can't afford those brands. When I say that I've tried 15 cheap brands, that means that I've gone through nearly all that there is in Thailand.

The cheapest price for Taiyo Yuden discs is $4.50 per disc (4x DVD-R). The cheapest price for el-cheapo spindled discs is 50 cents per disc, and cheaper if you buy bulk.

I did say that my experiences were my own, so please consider that when you choose to flame me. Not everyone lives in the US. Not everyone has the luxury of unlimited choice.

I don't get it, but is it THAT bad that I criticize an expensive drive for not meeting my expectations?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by firefoxx

The cheapest price for Taiyo Yuden discs is $4.50 per disc (4x DVD-R). The cheapest price for el-cheapo spindled discs is 50 cents per disc, and cheaper if you buy bulk.

I did say that my experiences were my own, so please consider that when you choose to flame me. Not everyone lives in the US. Not everyone has the luxury of unlimited choice.
    I hear ya dude. In small town Japan where I am, I pay almost $20 for a 10 pack of Pengo DVDs. Out in town I've only seen 3 and 5 packs that sell for about $3 to $5 per disk on average. I can't remember seeing any spindles (DVDs) here at all...
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I too, am happy with my 708A. I too, burn 4x media (memorex CMC) at 8x speed. I have not tried 8x media. My biggest surprise was when backing up a movie DVD with a severe scratch on it. I use an NEC ND-2500 to read and the 708A to write with. After cleaning the DVD with toothpaste several times to ease the scratch, etc., the NEC would not read past the scratch with DVD Decriptor. I popped it into the 708A and it read perfectly without errors. I'm pleased with my 708A.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I've tried this new one but unfortunatly, after flashing bios and rebooting, when the system is trying to recognize the device, I've got the classic "memory error" with the blue page on the screen.
    What's the pb?
    Lanparty nf3 250gb, Athlon 64, ATI Radeon 128mb (256 bit), Plextor 708A, Pioneer 107D, Nec 2510 A, WD 80gb, Maxtor 160gb, Maxtor 200gb Sata, WD 74gb Sata 10000 rpm, Geil CL 2,5 1024mb PC3200, HP 1825 18".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    check to see if the drive is being recognized in your BIOS, make sure it's set to AUTO. How is the drive hooked up in your pc? Need a little more info on your problem. What chipset do you have on your motherboard? Is the 708A set to DMA mode?

__________________________________________________ ___________

Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    The drive is hooked as primary master on IDE 2 and it's recognized correctly in the bios. My mb has a nforce 2 chipset but the ide drivers are the ones of win Xp and of course, the dma is set.
    Lanparty nf3 250gb, Athlon 64, ATI Radeon 128mb (256 bit), Plextor 708A, Pioneer 107D, Nec 2510 A, WD 80gb, Maxtor 160gb, Maxtor 200gb Sata, WD 74gb Sata 10000 rpm, Geil CL 2,5 1024mb PC3200, HP 1825 18".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My mb has a nforce 2 chipset but the ide drivers are the ones of win Xp and of course, the dma is set.
    the problem could be the nforce chipset. you could either try uninstalling them and using the microsoft drivers or use alternate drivers from this website: http://mwarhead.motherboardfaqs.com/news.php

Or check the PLEXTOR FORUM at cdfreaks.com read the FAQ. here is the link: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=49767

acks !okie dokie it's time for me to leave for work! good luck

__________________________________________________ ___________

Quote Quote