VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It should burn DVD-R disks at 4X with no problem. I've burned about 25 -R and about 15 +R disk all at 4X. I'm VERY happy with this burner.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's NEC ND-1300A just like many other drives selling right now in Japan. They usually cost US$200 per unit, about a third more than the OEM price.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kennyshin
    It's NEC ND-1300A just like many other drives selling right now in Japan. They usually cost US$200 per unit, about a third more than the OEM price.
    And where exactly do get you "all-knowing" info from???
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orbital517
    Originally Posted by Kennyshin
    And where exactly do get you "all-knowing" info from???
    NEC Japan.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I checked NEC's website, and could not find any info about what you are saying. Please provide a link.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Info about that the TDK is a rebadged NEC? Check the photos @http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=65623#65623 and especially the FCC ID (A3DND-1300A).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That doesn't really seem like much "proof" to me. Just speculation, guessing, and assumptions. I'd like to see some REAL facts. I contacted TDK tech support and from what they told me..........it's not a rebadged NEC 1300. I really like to find out for sure though, so i'll probably contact TDK's corporate office to get some facts. The reason why i'm so curious is because i've had sooooo many problems with NEC products, so if I find out that the TDK440 is in fact an NEC, I will return/exchange it for the Sony drive. NEC is HORRIBLE.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Forget all those other wannabe companies. Just wait for the Pioneer A06. After all, THOSE are the people that brought us recordable DVD formats to begin with. And their new burner has both the -R and +R since they no longer compete in the media business.
    I'm not online anymore. Ask BALDRICK, LORDSMURF or SATSTORM for help. PM's are ignored.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by txpharoah
    Forget all those other wannabe companies. Just wait for the Pioneer A06. After all, THOSE are the people that brought us recordable DVD formats to begin with. And their new burner has both the -R and +R since they no longer compete in the media business.
    I've already purchased the TDK 440 multiburner. I also have the Pioneer 105 already. Both drives are great, but i'm wondering about my TDK now. I just hope it's not manufactured my NEC.
    Quote Quote  
  10. If your waiting for Dell cancel now...let's see I ordered a sonydru500a Oct 3, 2002....hmmm 20 billion phone calls later they cancel it March 2003. What did I get outta the whole fiasco? Just $75 off a 17" LCD. It wasn't worth it. Dell sucks for that kinda stuff.
    Quote Quote  
  11. orbital517: Well you can't get much more proof. Search the FCC site with the ID. Someone at the firmware page forum had flashed his ND-1300A into a TDK 440N and that worked without problems. Kind of hard to do if they are not identical...
    I find your whining on NEC in every thread really ridiculous. Just because you had some problems with your burner you don't need to mention that in every single thread. And if your happy with your TDK returning it just because it's manufactured by NEC is simply stupid.
    txpharoah: Well orbital can't buy a Pioneer writer either since they use NEC DSPs so he needs to throw away his A05 too now
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Isn't that what this forum is for? To warn other people on this forum of bad drives so that no one else gets it? If you like the NEC drive, then good for you, but people should know of all the problems that NEC drives cause so that they don't buy a crappy burner like I did. If I would have known about this drive, I would have never bought it. If you don't like my posts..........don't fu*&ing read it!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Do you guys have problems burning with NERO?
    Nero seems to refuse to burn -R due to "invalid parameter"

RecordNow, Roxio have no problem!
    Quote Quote  
  14. i get the same thing with ulead using +r....but roxio and nero work great.
    you better BELIEVE
    Disturbed
    Quote Quote  
  15. Hi!

It really looks like the TDK 440N is a NEC ND-1300...

Hardwarezoom.com made a review of the drive and took a closer look on the TDK 440N:
    http://www.hardwarezoom.com/images/reviews/29/drive-bottom-inside.jpg
    Here is the link for the full review:
    http://www.hardwarezoom.com/viewcontent.jsp?ReviewID=150&PageNo=1

By the way... i'd like to purchase a dual format dvd-writer for myself... what's so bad about the NEC drives?

thx
    Chris
    Quote Quote  
  16. hey -jsl- where can i find that post about flashing the 1300 to TDK440? ilook all over the firmware page website and i couldn't get it
    Quote Quote  
  17. I solved my problems by applying firmware patch (1.06)
    Now Nero burns DVD-R
    Quote Quote  
  18. Ok, so hows that TDK dual format holding, up and how many disks have you guys that have them burned so far?

Thinking of buying another burner pretty soon! 4x would be nice, and depending on price I'd grab a dual format. I only plan to burn -r/-rw for now though, so dual formats not that import to me. But if not alot extra might as well get it

Much more interested in the speed and reliabilty of the drive and media.
    I imagine 4x disks cost more? I'm sure the drive is backwards compatible with 2x and 1x media right? You folks burning any cheap 2x or 1x disks to see how they workin the 4x drives?

I'd most likely want to burn 4x when I have other stuff to do with the system or need a disk fast. Like when someone is waiting for their home movie DVD.
    But I'd burn cheap disks like 2x or 1x when I go to bed and don't care about time.

Any problems with compatibilities showing up yet?
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have burned about 100 or so disks including the cheap ones and also namebrand media (Sony, Ritek, Optodisc, Verbatim, Khypermedia). All have burned flawlessly. 1X disks will burn at 2X speed, and a full 4+ gig DVD will burn in under 15 minutes with 4X media. So far, i'm pretty happy with the drive.
    Quote Quote  
  20. You burning both formats, or mostley all one type like -r?

I'll be looking for a another drive soon, anyone know where to buy this one at a good price from a good company?

I buy alot at newegg, but they don't have this one yet. I don't think directron did either.

Thanks
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
  21. use pricewatch to buy is a lot cheaper to find what you need
    Quote Quote  
  22. Tried pricewatch, searched for tdk 440, got 4 hits, 2 were for same store.

Surely more than 3 stores are selling this drive though. Price was $294-$309 including shiiping.

Still looking, but I got a question now.

It looked like it's a 4x -r burner but still only 2.4 +r burner. Is that correct?
    Is a 4x +r burner being made? If so, would I be better off getting both a 4x -r and a second drive as a 4x+r burner and just run 2 drives?

Still a newbie, and not sure about this.
    Once I write a disk, will any burner read it, or does a +r normally only read a +r disk but not a -r disk?
    So if I pop a +r burnt disk into a -r burner, is that gonna see it as a DVD and not care what type disk it was? + or - ?

So If I had 2 drives, 1 -r and 1 +r, could I burn a master -r disk, then put it in a +r burner to read and make more -r copies latter? And also the other way around?

Thanks,
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
  23. hey guys i got this DVD Writer a week ago....i asked for a TDK IndiDVD 420 which is only a DVD+R Drive but they gave me the 440 instead soo i didnt complain since i got it for the price of 420..which saved me $50 and i get a $30 rebate...i love this drive..no problems with it soo far..burned about 5 DVD+Rs and 3 DVD-Rs and they all are 100% working...used Nero,Record Now Max, and DVD Decrypter and all worked! this drive is just great...i very much recomend it and yes it burned the 2 included DVD-/+R at 4x
    Quote Quote