VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. I can burn at 4x with the Ritek G04's. Right out the box with firmware 2.0c. That’s what the drive came with and I have no plans to upgrade the firmware. I probably wouldn't really complain if I couldn't burn at 4x. The DVD's work right?? Yea, it's just not lightning fast.

I agree with mickboss. Don't buy bulk blank DVD's without testing them. I bought a demo pack from blank-cd-cdr.com. It came with 12 DVD-R's, 2 each from 6 different brands. They range from 1x-4x. All have worked great. When I do use them up and my other generic 1x's, I'll probably buy a bunch of the 4x's...
    -- CMSurfer --
    Quote Quote  
  2. For those who can burn 4X Ritek G04 at 4X with 2.0e or 2.0c on dru500ax well more power to ya. 6 or 8 hours I wasted trying this and that. In the end Sony firmware 1.0d solved all my burning problems. So I've burned about 80 or so since then and not a single problem.

Here's a kicker for ya though ...I was burning on the fly 4X with Nero 5.5.10.15a and put in 5.5.10.20 and stupid Nero now only shows 3.1X for max for on-the-fly (don't get confused it still let's me burn 4X but not for on-the-fly copies).
    Quote Quote  
  3. i cant wait till 4x taiyo yudens come out or the apple -r 4xs drop in price... but as it is now, id DEFINITELY rather have quality 2x than questionable 4x. (and yes, i consider a g04 questionable when compared to a TY or apple disc). actually, tdk is looking almost affordable if u get 10 10packs (it's like $250 plus shipping and tax...so 2.50/disc, but its TDK for chrissakes)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Just to add to this - I upgraded to 2.0e have tried a ritex g04 4x using record now - only done at 1x ~1 hours to burn!).

Only got one as part of a sample pack (also have a Princo 4x to try out).
    Should I downgrade to 1.0d (or f/g) and try this at 4x. Previously running 1.0g and always recorded at 2x on 2x media.

Is there a definitive view on the IDE cable and DMA settings yet?

Thanks before I wait another hour for my 4x disc to burn!!

Del Boy Jr
    Quote Quote  
  5. I just bought a 10 pack of Verbatim +R media yesterday at Best Buy (9 +R discs & 1 +RW) The +R discs are 4X discs & they work perfectly. They come in a purple box & the +R discs are in slim jewel cases. I already went through the whole pack! They were $27.99. I'm using an HP300i. Burns perfectly everytime on every media I've tried unlike my Pioneer-104 which hated almost every media I tried. The + discs are no playing in an old POS dvd player that wouldn't play any of the -R/RW discs! Very happy with that purchase.
    Quote Quote  
  6. not to rain on ur parade but this thread was for sony dru-500 owners and the new firmware...but good for u on 4x burning i guess.

Originally Posted by frizb
    I just bought a 10 pack of Verbatim +R media yesterday at Best Buy (9 +R discs & 1 +RW) The +R discs are 4X discs & they work perfectly. They come in a purple box & the +R discs are in slim jewel cases. I already went through the whole pack! They were $27.99. I'm using an HP300i. Burns perfectly everytime on every media I've tried unlike my Pioneer-104 which hated almost every media I tried. The + discs are no playing in an old POS dvd player that wouldn't play any of the -R/RW discs! Very happy with that purchase.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I know, but someone asked if DVD+R 4X were even available yet. Just leting them know they were out now.
    Quote Quote  
  8. To all those ppl with the Ritek's GO4 at 4x from meritline.com or not, can you play them back on an Xbox or ps2 console? I still have cheap ass friends who refuse to get a real dvd player. The TDK's at 2x from meritline.com that I've burned are unreadable on my friends x-box.

So are your Ritek's DVD-R 4x able to be read on say an XBox or PS2?

Meritline.com also has new version Samsung DVD-R 4x, and suppossedly they are very reliable and longer lasting than others. Plus, they say that are compatible with Xbox and PS2.

Can anyone confirm this for me. Are the Samsungs good, as I am leaning to buy them, even though the Riteks are a bit cheaper because of my above concerns. (Burning at 4x, and compatible with Xbox and PS2)
    Hope to hear from you guys, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  9. does your friend have a Tomson dvd drive on his xbox?
    if the answer is yes..than..good luck on him..
    if he does have either philips or samsung drive, than Lead DATA whichs i used was working good on my xbox, it is cheap but works fine..
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have zero problems burning DVD-R at 4x. I am using fw 1.0f. I tired upgrading, but have gone back to this level since it works perfectly for 4x and 2x blanks.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Mr Zippy
    Ritek G04 burn at 4x here on firmware 1.0d, 1.0f and 1.0g with DRU-500A.

Have not tested v2 firmware with them, as I have none left.
    Same here.

I now have firmware 1.0g installed in my Sony DRU-500A and all my Ritek 4X disks burn at 4X, no problems.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Somebody asked this before but i still don't understand why DRU500AX needs firmware upgrade if it says it can burn 4x right out the Box?

I haven't tried 4x yet just curious.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Somebody asked this before but i still don't understand why DRU500AX needs firmware upgrade if it says it can burn 4x right out the Box?

I haven't tried 4x yet just curious.
    Not all firmware updates will increase burn speed. Most of them, such as the ones in this case for the DRU500AX give the drive the improved ability to read "more" types of media.
    Quote Quote  
  14. "improved ability to read "more" types of media."

Do you mean even though it says it can burn 4x with 2c firmware;
    without the new 2E firmware Sony can't guarantee burning compatibility on all 4x medias with 2c?
    Quote Quote  
  15. bayaraa_us, think of it like this. When you read something, it is different from you writing it, right? It's the same with your DVD Burner. Your burner also acts as a DVD ROM and can play and read media as well. There are so many different brands of media on the market, especially from these online retailers, that SONY only tests so many of them. They say they "officially" approve certain media such as name brand TDK and Verbatim, but they test many others. By doing so, they can keep up with the new media introduced by providing firmware "flash" updates. The same is true with DVD ROMS that just "read" the media.

I'll give you a good example. I had a Lite-On 163D before I sold it and got my Lite-On 166S. I noticed each and every time I put a "VERBATIM" DVD+R in my Lite-On, it took about 3 more seconds to read the disk, then it did most of my other media. I never thought much of it, but then I decided to give the newest firmware flash for that drive a try and when I D/L'd it, sure enough, my DVD+R disks were now being read almost as fast as I put them into the ROM, BUT, and I do mean "BUT" my ripping speeds DRASTICALLY reduced.

I had to experiment with four or five methods to finally get my ripping speeds back, but SOMETIMES updates are not necessary. For the most part, the same holds true with these Sony firmware flashes. Now, with the one firmware flash that gave the DRU500a the ability to burn DVD+R at 4x, if you burn +R media, you certainly want to D/L that...because that's what I consider a "significant" update. Basically, it goes back tot he old addage...If it "AIN'T" broke, don't fix it. I hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by You_Are_Alive
    Meritline.com also has new version Samsung DVD-R 4x, and suppossedly they are very reliable and longer lasting than others. Plus, they say that are compatible with Xbox and PS2.
    WHERE WHERE WHERE????

I really like the Samsung BeAll disks, but I want to start burning at 4X, and those only burn @ 2X. I don't see any 4X Samsung disks on meritline/cdrdvdrmedia, where did you see them?
    Quote Quote