VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. I am running test burns on the Media TEST PACK available at supermediastore.com

This pack includes: 2pcs Ritek DVD-R, 2pcs SUPERMEDIA DVD-R, 2pcs DVDPRO DVD-R, 2pcs Optodisc DVD-R, and 2pcs Optodisc DVD-RW, Each in a Jewel Case. ALL of these disks are 1X.

I have already confirmed the RITEK works WITHOUT ISSUE.

I will run a test with 1 DVD-R of each make with the current original firmware, and then I will run the exact same tests with the firmware updated.

I will post the results here and on the forum.

Also, a co-worker also bought the 500A and has a 100-spindle of DVDPRO 2X media and he reports 32 successful burns AT DOUBLE SPEED with NO COASTERS!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by morac
    Originally Posted by ebi@
    Originally Posted by morac
    Someone's going to have to make a new media list or at least test the ones that used to be bad.
    I maintain a media list for the DRU-500A. You can view it at
    http://www.ebisschop.nl/dru-500a
    Your email address on that page bounced, so I'll mention it here. I burned 2 TDK DVD+RW 2.4X discs I picked up at Circuit City. Had no problems.
    Thanks for mention the problem with the hotmail adress. It looks like it only accepts mail from other hotmail users.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by ebi@
    Originally Posted by morac
    Someone's going to have to make a new media list or at least test the ones that used to be bad.
    I maintain a media list for the DRU-500A. You can view it at
    http://www.ebisschop.nl/dru-500a
    Nice!

I have to run to work, but from my quick view of your list, you can add:

Philips 2.4X DVD+R

KHypermedia 1X DVD-R (I and someone else had success with these
    from OfficeMax; someone else got them from microcenter and got coasters, BUT maybe he was using the old version of Nero, since I had absolutely no trouble with RecordNow max 4.5).
    Quote Quote  
  4. ResDog.

Where did your coworker get the DVDpro 2x media? I'm interested in that media since it has 2x speed for DRU500A.[/quote]
    Quote Quote  
  5. Just received my spindle Princo DVD-R, from www.opussupplies.nl, for 17.79 EUR (including vat, 10 pieces)

Now burning at 2x

Cheap and good, whatever do I want more?? (ok, 4x DVD-R)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Well, here's what I want (copied from the DRU500 Media thread)

For people providing feedback on your successes, please keep something else in mind.

Just because you can burn a DVD and play it back on your drive, that doesn't mean success in the way many of us are concerned.

Not many people here have reported playing their DVD-R/+R/+/-RW in different standalone DVD players. Also remember that just because it starts to play doesn't mean the menus and everything will work well throughout the entire media. Some people have reported problems or glitches on playback with some media, especially near the end of the videos. Be sure to do thorough testing in multiple standalone devices before jumping to conclusions that it's "awesome media" or "working perfectly." That will make your input more valuable to the other members.

Another important thing to keep in mind is that there is a new firmware, and it would be of benefit to mention if you have installed the new firmware for any problems or successes you have experienced. When using unbranded media, it helps to mentioned the source or part number to prevent confusion. Also remember that not all Verbatim media performs equally. Sony recommends using the newest.

Thanks!

Being a video guy myself, I know how picky some standalone drives are about media, so this would be my preferred template, although most of it would apply to DATA storage also.

Media source:
    Media name:
    Part Number:
    Authoring software: (for the video people only)
    Burning software:
    Media's rated/certified max speed:
    Burning speed used:
    Firmware version/update:
    Computer DVD playback software results:
    Computer DVD-ROM drives results:
    Standalone DVD players results for each media/test: (for the video people only)
    Quote Quote  
  7. 1.0d ??? NOT ANYMORE..... there is 1.0e follow this post

http://www.vcdhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=124022
    Quote Quote  
  8. It looks like it is not ready yet.....
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The flasher saw the drive, even though it's in a firewire box.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I too am getting the "Write Header Mode6 Failed" error when it tries to perform the initial update.
    Have tried safe mode, uninstalled virtual cd app. nothing.
    I'm running win2000 pro, Epox 8kha+ mobo, the dru500a is the master connected to the onboard ide, a liteon 40x CDR is the slave.

RyanD, did you ever get the update to work? This is really annoying, especially since i don't know if this indicates a hardware problem with the drive.
    I've burnt a couple Verbatim DVD+R without errors.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-alec
    Quote Quote  
  11. I upgraded and (unfortunately) I've taked a step backwards.

I have TDK DVD-RW and Apple DVD-R that is no longer working as well as before I upgraded.

I used to be able to burn both varieties and have it play in multiple players (using MyDVD that came bundled with the player). Now I can't see the -RW in my Sony player (don't remember the model number) and I get periods of hanging in a JVC TV/DVD/VCR combo where the video stops and you can hear the player seeking - it does eventually continue playing but it's definitely annoying.

I'd like to go back to the factory firmware. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks.

- Kevin
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm also having a lot of trouble upgrading my DRU-500 to 1.0d. I'm getting the "Write Header Mode6 failed" error. I've tried shutting down background tasks with task manager, booting into safe mode, etc. I even pulled the drive from my WinXP machine and tried updating it in my daughter's WinME machine and I still got the same error. Is it just some of the DRU-500s that have this problem or could it possibly be something I'm missing. I've flashed firmware in all kinds of things from motherboards to Pronto remote controls before and typically haven't had any problems.

I'm also wondering if I should just wait for 1.0e to come out in a couple weeks or so, but I'm afraid I'll have the same problem with that upgrade.

I've seen at least one other poster that's having this problem. Any others?
    Quote Quote  
  13. another poster had the same problem until he tried upgrading from another machine. The link is below or do search in the forums for "mode6".
    I'm having the same problem but haven't had a chance to update from a different machine. Both problem machines are using the VIA chipset so that might be the cause.

http://www.vcdhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=375734&highlight=mode6#375734
    Quote Quote  
  14. As I allready mentioned in another post. I have WinXP Home SP1, Shuttle AK31A (Via KT266A), IDE2 (M-Sony,S-LG DVD-ROM). And I didn't have problem to upgrade firmware. Only issue was related to InCD intalled.

Just to let you know....
    Quote Quote  
  15. I've just upgraded the drive. I wound up uninstalling the VIA IDE bus master utility. Ran the updater, it gave an error "Error -1. Unable to read buffer." (or something like that), but the progress bar immediately started runnning til completion, afterwards the computer frozed. Others in this forum have commented on the lock up after update. Anyway, rebooted, the updater shows the drive using the 1.0d firmware, reinstalled the bus master utility and have burnt 2 data dvd (verbatim dvd-r & dvd+r). Of course i've never had a problem burning those while running 1.0c anyways.
    -alec
    Quote Quote  
  16. FIRMWARE UPGRADE 1.0D INSTRUCTIONS

To ensure the Firmware Upgrade is installed properly, please take the following steps:

Be sure and read the readme file prior to running update.
    Connect the drive alone on the secondary IDE cable.
    Verify there is not a disc in the drive when running the update.
    Disable all background programs including any anti-virus programs.
    Windows 2000/XP users must be logged in as administrator.
    Windows 98SE/ME users cannot run the update if connected to a network.

This is from the Sony WEb site the Link

http://sony.storagesupport.com/dvdrw/dru500adwn.htm
    Baskaran Swamiappan
    Englewood,CO
    baskis@gmail.com
    Quote Quote  
  17. I just bought the Sony DRX-500 yesterday and applied the Firmware upgrade 1.0d today without problems. I am runnning Win XP Pro.
    Quote Quote  
  18. hi!

I just did the update to 1.0d, but now i can't read a sony DVD-R that i had recorded yesterday
    i can read video dvd's and, DVD+RW, but why that one don't work???

anyone with the same problem???

hugs,
    mari0
    Quote Quote  
  19. ok...

i guess this http://sony.storagesupport.com/cgi-bin/sonysupport.cgi/5Q3qEl6QUyS3HoBEjBYkqP5IfLIfGtSM/faq/view/523 is the problem, how can i lock my dvd drive to a specific region so i can read my burned dvd's???

hugs,
    mari0
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by mari0
    ok...

i guess this http://sony.storagesupport.com/cgi-bin/sonysupport.cgi/5Q3qEl6QUyS3HoBEjBYkqP5IfLIfGtSM/faq/view/523 is the problem, how can i lock my dvd drive to a specific region so i can read my burned dvd's???

hugs,
    mari0
    I believe that there is limit on how many times you can change region (5?). After that it will be permanent (if you can't find tool to change that )
    Quote Quote  
  21. ok, this is quite strange, i updated the firmware of my recorder to 1.0d, and i can read all dvd's, including a dvd+rw that i had recorded a few days, but no matter what i try i can't read a dvd-r that i had recorded with this same dvd recorder...

has anyone having problems with the sony dvd-r (dmr47a) and the sony dru-500a recorder???

hugs,
    mari0
    Quote Quote