VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am interested in Epiphan AV.io HD. Be besides HDMI and VGA I want to capture composite from VHS, Betacam in HD via HDMI. Can someone help me compare:

GTV-COMPSVID-2-HDMIS https://www.gefen.com/product/composite-hdmi-scaler-GTV-COMPSVID-2-HDMIS
    KanexPro CON-AV-HD4K https://www.kanexpro.com/item/?id=CON-AV-HD4K

I know the big difference is that the Gefen has the optical input for audio. Are there any other features or benefits in picture quality to be gained with the Gefen over the KanexPro? Does the Gefen have useful adjustments that can be made where the KanexPro does not?

thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Upscaling VHS to HD? This probably won't end well.
    Why?
    What is the reasoning?

Picture quality is often harmed, there are almost always zero (negative!) benefits.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Upscaling VHS to HD? This probably won't end well.
    Why?
    What is the reasoning?

Picture quality is often harmed, there are almost always zero (negative!) benefits.

Thank you for your reply. I had a client that was asking for VHS digitized and upscaled to HD. But after I posted this I investigated further and it seems like the consensus may be to capture SD at native resolution but as lossless.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    VHS best captured from S-Video using a S-VHS machine, Betacam best transferred from SDI after being internally captured inside a Betacam SDI equipped player and streamed in 1:1 via a SDI to USB adapter. If you are doing this for a client they expect you to know better.
    Quote Quote