VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Well as I mentioned before I thought the PVR 2 was a storage device and I would have to use my PC to make an DVD or BD disc..
    Since I had heard of he PVR 2, I chose it.. I will have to install the software on my computer and go from there.. I am sure I will need
    some guidance.. If it becomes more than I can handle or its results is Not what I am looking, I will try the EZRecorder..
    Thx.. W.G.

2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wg_rebel View Post
    Hi,
    Well as I mentioned before I thought the PVR 2 was a storage device and I would have to use my PC to make an DVD or BD disc..
    Since I had heard of he PVR 2, I chose it.. I will have to install the software on my computer and go from there.. I am sure I will need
    some guidance.. If it becomes more than I can handle or its results is Not what I am looking, I will try the EZRecorder..
    Thx.. W.G.
    If you do decide that the EXRecorder 130 might be a better choice, re-read post #4 https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/371337-Good-Stand-alone-DVD-Writer?p=2385386&viewfu...=1#post2385386

Just to make sure there is NO misunderstanding, the EZRecorder 130 does not come with a hard drive. You'll have to buy one for it. Ideally, the hard drive should be powered by an AC adapter plugged into the wall, and should not be a green drive that is designed to go to sleep quickly when it is not being used.

3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been using a Hauppauge HDPVR (the first generation). I really like the quality of the images for sports recordings at 6mbps. But I'd love to move away from having to keep my laptop next to the TV (and so would my wife). Usually_quiet suggested a good workaround with the EZRecorder 130 (a search for this device brought me here). But I'm in an old apartment building and already running a ton of junk into the various power outlets behind my TV. A friend of mine in Brazil bought a modified 130 that saves the need for the splitter, which for me would be one less thing to plug in. The shipping price from Brazil would be ridiculous on this unit. I'm guessing that mod happened at the software level, but I could be wrong. Can anyone recommend an option in the US for a similar purchase? Please PM me if the answer is not suitable for the forum. Thanks.

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by danielmak View Post
    I have been using a Hauppauge HDPVR (the first generation). I really like the quality of the images for sports recordings at 6mbps. But I'd love to move away from having to keep my laptop next to the TV (and so would my wife). Usually_quiet suggested a good workaround with the EZRecorder 130 (a search for this device brought me here). But I'm in an old apartment building and already running a ton of junk into the various power outlets behind my TV. A friend of mine in Brazil bought a modified 130 that saves the need for the splitter, which for me would be one less thing to plug in. The shipping price from Brazil would be ridiculous on this unit. I'm guessing that mod happened at the software level, but I could be wrong. Can anyone recommend an option in the US for a similar purchase? Please PM me if the answer is not suitable for the forum. Thanks.
    The EZRecorder 130 is a stand-alone device and uses firmware, not software. There have been no previous reports here of a modified EZRecorder 130, or hacked firmware for the EZRecorder 130 that allows recording HDCP protected HDMI.

5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is the link for the recorder. I don't speak Portuguese but running the text into Google Translate show that they basically list it as modified. And my friend bought it and is using it to record various sports broadcasts from his satellite box through HDMI. Perhaps Brazil does not have HDCP. I don't know. But if that was the case then I don't see why the site would say that the box is modified.

http://www.saprodu.com.br/loja/product_info.php?products_id=99&osCsid=dgn39uj2rr64ljedgiuhhsp6i6

6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I went with the setup described by usually_quiet. I currently have an HDD on the way. I assume that will come formatted NTFS. Should I leave it NTFS or should I format NTFS-3G? I work with a Mac so I usually format my portable and external HDDs as EXFAT so I can transfer large HD .TS or .MKV files to the drives. I'm less familiar with the NTFS format. I will want to be able to rename the files created by the EZRecorder. Thanks in advance for the advice.

7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I went with the setup described by usually_quiet. I currently have an HDD on the way. I assume that will come formatted NTFS. Should I leave it NTFS or should I format NTFS-3G? I work with a Mac so I usually format my portable and external HDDs as EXFAT so I can transfer large HD .TS or .MKV files to the drives. I'm less familiar with the NTFS format. I will want to be able to rename the files created by the EZRecorder. Thanks in advance for the advice.
    You shouldn't need to reformat an ordinary NTFS-formatted external drive. As I understand it, you would simply install NTFS-3G on your Mac. Afterwards, your Mac can read from and write to a regular NTFS formatted external HDD.

8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

You shouldn't need to reformat an ordinary NTFS-formatted external drive. As I understand it, you would simply install NTFS-3G on your Mac. Afterwards, your Mac can read from and write to a regular NTFS formatted external HDD.
    Thanks. I'm already set with the NTFS-3G addition to my Mac and it works well with the internal HDD on my AC Ryan media player so I should be good to.

9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I figured I would stick with this thread because the advice was good. The ViewHD splitter has 2 outputs and 1 input, which is fine when I use the AverMedia recorder to record from satellite. I am going to switch back to my Hauppauge for satellite and use the Avermedia to record from a MINIX NEO X8-H android box for IPTV so I don't have to worry about copy protection flags on the HDMI output. However, I've now run into a problem in that I don't have enough HDMI slots on my TV for the devices I want to connect to the TV. I'd like to buy a splitter with 2 *inputs* and 1 output. I would feed an AC Ryan Play On media player and this MINIX box through the input that would split into a single output to the HDTV. If I lose a little quality, I can live with that, but I'd prefer to avoid a major drop in quality. Also, that ViewHD splitter is amazing because it is super small. It would be great to find a splitter that is a similar size (basically the size of 3 nine volt batteries next to each other). I have power outlets so it's not a problem if the splitter needs to be plugged in.

Does anyone have recommendations for such a splitter? Thanks.

10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I figured I would stick with this thread because the advice was good. The ViewHD splitter has 2 outputs and 1 input, which is fine when I use the AverMedia recorder to record from satellite. I am going to switch back to my Hauppauge for satellite and use the Avermedia to record from a MINIX NEO X8-H android box for IPTV so I don't have to worry about copy protection flags on the HDMI output. However, I've now run into a problem in that I don't have enough HDMI slots on my TV for the devices I want to connect to the TV. I'd like to buy a splitter with 2 *inputs* and 1 output. I would feed an AC Ryan Play On media player and this MINIX box through the input that would split into a single output to the HDTV. If I lose a little quality, I can live with that, but I'd prefer to avoid a major drop in quality. Also, that ViewHD splitter is amazing because it is super small. It would be great to find a splitter that is a similar size (basically the size of 3 nine volt batteries next to each other). I have power outlets so it's not a problem if the splitter needs to be plugged in.

Does anyone have recommendations for such a splitter? Thanks.
    You need an HDMI switch, not an HDMI spiitter to allow 2 source devices to share one port on the TV. I have never needed to buy an HDMI switch so I don't have a personal favorite. There are manually operated switches and switches that operate with a remote control.

11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi danielmak,
    Take a look at these, some have a manual button/switch other switch to the device that has power on it, I think.. Any check out this URL;
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node%3D128066011&field-keywords=3+-+1+hdmi+...1+hdmi+spliter

12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies. I can't remember the last time I went for the cheapest options, but I used the user ratings to re-order the options and the cheapest is also one of the most highly rated. At $7 plus shipping, I can take the chance on it, which is not the best environmental choice but hopefully will work for long enough.

http://www.amazon.com/Hds-tek-Switch-1-out-Intelligent-1080p/dp/B00OHHT5SA/ref=sr_1_6?...2%3A2661618011

13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wg_rebel View Post
    Hi,
    I want to Copy Data off my DirecTV DVR.. I would like to make the Best Quality DVD that I can (with in reason)..
    What are my Options?? I was looking at some Blu-Ray Reader/Writers; some were $6,000, some $8,000, some $10,000 or more..
    A little bit out of my Budget.. I am now using a JVC MR-150B .. My DVR has S-Video out but the 150B does Not have S-Video In..
    I would like to get the quality better.. A good DVD or Blu-Ray Writer would be Great.. Not sure if I need any other devices to help
    in the process..

On a 2nd question; I have an LG hl-dt-st dvdram gh22ns40 in my computer that I have had some problems making DVD and/or
    Coping DVDs; should I upgrade the Drive and/or get some special Software??
    Thx. All replies appreciated..
    W.G.
    I copied my ATT Uverse DVR using component video outputs to a DVD recorder model Magnavox MRV660, yes it has component video inputs, I bought a second one on Ebay for $11.00 without a remote,its given me a great video library from which I can give away copies for .20 cents each,no computer software needed here. Any better ideas?? Mike

14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your Magnavox MRV660 has composite inputs not component inputs.

Not much has changed in the few months since this thread began.

The latest Magnavox DVD recorder is still the Magnavox MDR 557h/F7. There are still no stand-alone Blu-Ray recorders that can record the HD output from your AT&T set top box. The same HD capture devices recommended in this thread are still available. Although they don't record to optical media and they still need a splitter that removes HDCP as a side effect to record the HDMI output of a set top box, they will allow you to record the HDMI output of a set top box up to 1080i.

There are one or two additional capture devices of dubious quality which may need to be ordered direct from China and don't need a splitter to remove HDCP, but I don't recommend them. They de-interlace 1080i channels incorrectly, discarding half the frames. Read about them here: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/372381-This-dvr-claims-to-record-from-any-source-to...=1#post2395161

15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using the setup described by usually quiet in post #4 of this thread but have been running into some problems with the recordings pulsing. I am wondering if I can get some advice re: this issue.

My only deviation from the setup is using a portable HDD instead of an external since I don't have another socket near my TV and I have had 3 external HDDs die on me but only 1 portable. I am running a Roku 4 > HDMI > View HD HDMI Splitter > HDMI > EZRecorder 130 > HDMI to TV and USB to portable HDD. I am recording from NGSN (a soccer application that airs in HD 720p). When I watch the same thing I am recording the image looks great. Usually quality is slightly lower than DirecTV but I am watching soccer matches from South America and this is a stream compared to satellite. My internet is fast (Comcast 75mbps d/l) and the Roku is connected via ethernet. Again, when I watch live, it looks good. No pulsing. But when I watch the Mp4 file there is pulsing on the image (esp. during wide angle shots). The pulsing shows if I watch using VLC or Quicktime (I'm using a Mac). VLC is slightly worse but still the problem exists with either program on my computer. And my portable HDD is NTFS.

I am happy to upload a brief sample if seeing the image will help. I can add that oddly the problem does not occur during the few times I have recorded European games through NGSN but the Argentine games are of equal quality as these European games. And I have tested by comparing using the Web interface for NGSN (there going HDMI out of the Macbook Pro > same set up as above) with the same results -- exact same pulsing. Moreover, when using the Web interface I did not see pulsing on my TV (only on the recording).

Thanks in advance for any advice. If I should post this same question somewhere else on this forum, I am happy to give that a shot.

16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have no idea what might be causing your problem. It wouldn't hurt to upload a short sample, between 30 seconds and a minute. It will certainly increase the chances that somebody might be able to tell you what is going on. YouTube and similar re-encode, so you have to upload an actual piece of the video.

17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a sample. Ignore the actually quality of the video, which isn't the best (Bolivia isn't using the best HD cameras in this stadium). If you look at the lower 3rd of the image (esp. in the middle), you will see the pulsing. Again, I don't see this on my TV when watching even though the pass-through is happening via the EZ recorder. I only see this on my MP4 file. I am using the "Good" setting, which is 10mbps so that should be fine. There's no reason to go higher. A friend (whose recorder I listed above via the Brazil link) has the same device and no problems with the pulsing.

http://www.mediafire.com/watch/bfqqpynn5lv6t3d/PulsingSample__LowerMiddle.mp4

18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a sample. Ignore the actually quality of the video, which isn't the best (Bolivia isn't using the best HD cameras in this stadium). If you look at the lower 3rd of the image (esp. in the middle), you will see the pulsing. Again, I don't see this on my TV when watching even though the pass-through is happening via the EZ recorder. I only see this on my MP4 file. I am using the "Good" setting, which is 10mbps so that should be fine. There's no reason to go higher. A friend (whose recorder I listed above via the Brazil link) has the same device and no problems with the pulsing.

http://www.mediafire.com/watch/bfqqpynn5lv6t3d/PulsingSample__LowerMiddle.mp4
    The only pulsing I see is where the sidelines meet the small black border at the bottom of the screen. I *think* the pulsing effect is a deinterlacing artifact resulting from 1080i video being de-interlaced and resized to 720p. Somebody using a TV with overscan enabled might not see the pulsing because it was hidden by the TV's overscan.

19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply. Here are a few more piece of info that might help followed by a question.
    1. When I use the de-interlace setting in VLC, I still see the pulsing.
    2. When I play the MP4 back from the HDD through the EZ Recorder playback on my HDTV I see the pulsing.
    3. The NGSN app doesn't go to 1080, only 720p. My EZ Recorder is set for 720p so there shouldn't be any issues there.

NGSN works as on demand. When I watch and record at the same time, I don't see the pulsing on my HDTV. Only when I playback. So there's something happening in the recording. Do you have any recommendations for things I can look at in the EZ Recorder settings that might affect the recording to produce this pulsing?

FYI, I also use a Happauge to record from DirecTV to a Macbook Pro and have never had this issue, although that device records via component. I worried that this pulsing was caused by the splitter not being able to fully cut out flags but if that was the case, I would see the pulsing when I watch live.

The last thing. I am using fairly cheap Monoprice HDMI cables. I can't believe that makes any difference but would there be an issue with cheaper HDMI cables in the connection between the Roku and the splitter and the splitter and the EZ Recorder?

Thanks again.

20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply. Here are a few more piece of info that might help followed by a question.
    1. When I use the de-interlace setting in VLC, I still see the pulsing.
    2. When I play the MP4 back from the HDD through the EZ Recorder playback on my HDTV I see the pulsing.
    3. The NGSN app doesn't go to 1080, only 720p. My EZ Recorder is set for 720p so there shouldn't be any issues there.

NGSN works as on demand. When I watch and record at the same time, I don't see the pulsing on my HDTV. Only when I playback. So there's something happening in the recording. Do you have any recommendations for things I can look at in the EZ Recorder settings that might affect the recording to produce this pulsing?

FYI, I also use a Happauge to record from DirecTV to a Macbook Pro and have never had this issue, although that device records via component. I worried that this pulsing was caused by the splitter not being able to fully cut out flags but if that was the case, I would see the pulsing when I watch live.

The last thing. I am using fairly cheap Monoprice HDMI cables. I can't believe that makes any difference but would there be an issue with cheaper HDMI cables in the connection between the Roku and the splitter and the splitter and the EZ Recorder?

Thanks again.
    1. The file is 720p, and was already deinterlaced from the start, so the flashing was already a permanent part of the picture before you recorded it. Since the video is progressive, VLC can't deinterlace it.

2. If you have not set the aspect ratio to "just scan" or "pixel for pixel mode" or something else that disables overscan, your TV is overscanning, which hides a little bit of every frame near the perimiter,

3. See 1.

4. Meaningless. Different sources (Satellite+receiver vs Roku channel+Roku) and different connections (HDMI vs Component) can produce a slightly different picture.

5. No it isn't the cable or the splitter.

6. If you don't believe what I have written is sufficient explanation, maybe someone else will come up with a better one. It is pointless to go round and round with you on this subject.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 20th Feb 2016 at 20:24.

21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I appreciate the help. I'm a bit confused by the last comment, since I didn't think that I was coming off as being unappreciative or disagreeing with what you said; rather, after your last post about deinterlacing I figured I would do another test with VLC and report back what I found. Moreover, I wanted to report more info. about the NGSN settings in case that info. helped (re: 720 v. 1080). In theory the TV's ability to cut out the pulsing during the pass-thru view should do the same kind of clean up as the playback of the recording from the HDD via the EZ Recorder but it doesn't do that. Again, none of this is to say that I am unappreciative of your attempts to help me troubleshoot. Instead, I'm hoping to work through ways to remove the pulsing from the recording.

When I look in the AV Management settings of the EZ Recorder I have Color Range set to OFF (which was a default thing), I have Display Mode set to Real Time Mode instead of Standard Mode. These are the only features that might have an affect on the recording (i.e., I can test to see if switching these helps).

My TV is set to play based on the feed that comes to it, so it doesn't in theory change anything with the aspect or framerate. But you might be describing something that I am missing given my general knowledge or lack thereof with the TV settings. I have a Plasma HDTV and have an Anti Image Retention Pixel Orbiter set to "automatic". The rest of the settings for the image are done with a custom setting based on something a friend gave me or that I found in a forum (it's bee a while since I set up the TV).

Again, I really appreciate your help. Each of my responses has not in any way been meant to disagree or draw out some lengthy conversation. I have not had this problem with the Hauppauge so my sense is that the issue is one with the EZ Recorder and was hoping that more information might help you (or others) get some sense of the set up.
    Last edited by danielmak; 20th Feb 2016 at 20:53.

22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I gave you the best explanation that I could come up with. Since you don't think it is correct, you will have to wait for someone else to provide a better one. I don't have another explanation to give you.

Also, since I found out today that NGSN on the Roku is a paid streaming service, forum rules prohibit me from helping you to record it.

23. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    danielmak-please do not ask help on capturing or recording from a paid streaming service,this is against forum rules,this thread is closed.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.