VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. It is the icon that says "RPM". Below is a test I have done in the past. Do you see the glitches? That is stalling. The dvd drive is dropping in speed. Incidentally, the test says it was a TY TYG02 disk but it was a fake.

Do not use video. Remember this is a test of the writer. Look for a program like BHA Gold or Recordnow on your computer and record a data file so you are not using any of the video or video burning programs used in the past. Do you have any large data files, picture files, program files like Microsoft Office to copy?

I forgot to ask. Do you know how to check how much of your computer resources are being used when you do these burns? I once had problems with a laptop when it was running other programs at the same time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. At this point, considering the time and aggravation already spent, and the relatively low cost of a burner, plus the returnability, I would probably quit screwing with it and put in a new drive.

Nailing down an intermittent problem can often be more hassle than it is worth. You will know in an hour or two if the new drive solves the problem.

Its easy if you can do procedure 'A', and it works, and procedure 'B', which does NOT work. It's when 'A' sometimes works and sometimes fails, and 'B' is the same, that it gets to be a problem.

When I asked about the burn working after the firmware update, I should have said "and the movie plays correctly." The error msg that has happened on a couple of disks from the burning program could mean bad disk, or bad drive. No help.

When you say "scanned the disk for errors", do you mean visually while watching the movie or using some informational or diagnostic program? If a program, any information about the error?

Forgot to ask - Have you tried to play the original set of ripped files from the harddrive, before the burn? That is not quite as good as the data testing being discussed but would tend to eliminate the source files as the problem. This would need to be done with 3 or more sets of ripped files. In these situations one or two of anything does not tell you an answer.

Testing for these kinds of errors is dealing with a LOT of different possibilities. You run enough batches to get a frequency of error, change ONE thing, run the same number of batches, check the frequency. You really need to be patient and systematic.

For instance - It would appear that even though successful burns, meaning yielding a movie that plays correctly, are rare, you have not had ONE succesful burn since changing the firmware? I know it failed both before and after this change, but it worked (occassionally) before this update, has it worked AT ALL since the update?

Also, this is where RW disks can become very handy.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nelson--you're right, this has been a nightmare of a week trying to get feedback why this problem is occurring.

Im just gonna get a new drive and see if that solves the problem. Im sick of downloading, testing, comparing, blah blah blah...

If I get a new a drive and the problem is still there, screw copying dvds on my computer--Ill just get a standalone dvd recorder and copy just the movie disc to disc through my components.
    Quote Quote  
  4. That is another can of worms. Standalones are designed so you cannot copy commerical dvds.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Buying a new drives might be $40-50 spend that was not required. But if you're rich, sure, go for it. Why not.

If it's too much hassle, don't do it. Quit. You can almost always buy more copies if your entirely mess up the original. This is not a required activity.

Hate to be the forum hard-ass, but you're not exercising the patience needed to solve problems.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Buying a new drives might be $40-50 spend that was not required. But if you're rich, sure, go for it. Why not.

If it's too much hassle, don't do it. Quit. You can almost always buy more copies if your entirely mess up the original. This is not a required activity.

Hate to be the forum hard-ass, but you're not exercising the patience needed to solve problems.
    I have tried every valid suggestion I have received up til now...and nobody has offered a good explanation why I am getting this freeze almost ALL THE TIME (and at the same minute&second for every movie Ive copied two or three times).

I thank you all for your assistance, but noone obviously has ever encountered the problem Ive reported before, so youre fishing in the dark as much as I am. But I am grateful for the feedback.

If a writer doesn't solve my problem, ill just return it to BestBuy for a full refund. And if it was the cause of the problem, well then, problem solved.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now that's smart. Buy something that is easy to return. I suggest you get a Pioneer.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Blumphf
    If a writer doesn't solve my problem, ill just return it to BestBuy for a full refund. And if it was the cause of the problem, well then, problem solved.
    I was gonna suggest that you borrow a DVD burner drive and see if you still get the problem, but you beat me to it.

I'm all for having patience in diagnosing computer (and other) problems, a la Lordsmurf, but there's no repair technician worth his or her salt who doesn't first rule out the basic stuff first. If your work on cars, computers, whatever, one thing that helps tremendously is having parts one can swap out to help eliminate basic problems. Continuing to do software tests without swapping out the DVD drive to see if its the problem is pointless at this time; if you swap out the drive and it fixes things, you know the problem. If it doesn't, you know it's not the drive.

Doesn't get much smarter than that. Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Blumphf
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf

I have tried every valid suggestion I have received up til now...and nobody has offered a good explanation why I am getting this freeze almost ALL THE TIME (and at the same minute&second for every movie Ive copied two or three times).

I thank you all for your assistance, but noone obviously has ever encountered the problem Ive reported before, so youre fishing in the dark as much as I am. But I am grateful for the feedback.

Amen! Good luck! The LG H62L, $49.99 & PIONEER 1810 (retail of the 112D drive) $64.99 are avalilable at BEST BUY. I have both of those drives and they both work well.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have a similar problem with my HP 840b. It is in a Media Centre 7360n. It was burning fine for the last four months; however, over the last couple of weeks, I keep getting what looks like an unburnt ring which is easily seen by looking at the recording side. Nero DVD-CD Speed indicates errors starting at 46% on every one of the failed burns.

I used MXL RG03 and Sony08D1. Both were working fine until this problem appeared; both are affected. I may get one good burn in between several coasters.

I reinstalled the software, ensured they are the newest versions, and substituted several ie. IMGBurn and Instant Copy. This did not work. Next I updated the firmware to HJ86 and then to IMA6, both of which failed to solve the problem. Finally, I substituted the HP 840b and an LG 4163b which is in another computer of mine.

As expected, the LG 4163b performed perfectly in the HP Media Centre and the HP 840b, now in a Gateway, still failed at 46% of burn and produced the circle. I set the burn speed to 4X in IMGBurn which seems to work. Only burnt one so far at 4X (this will become a backup burner now).

I have no idea why the errors at 46% since the speed increase from 4X to 8X occurred at around 760 mb into the burn. No noticeable speed drops after that point.

Since the problem followed the burner, I obviously think it is at fault. This is the shortest burner life I have encountered at 4 months of use.

This is my first post. Your forum is great ( I have been visiting frequently!)
    Quote Quote  
  11. In the original post, you mentioned that you have used Dvdshrink. Dvdshrink creates an .iso file on the hard drive and burns the .iso to a dvd. Have you used Dvdshrink to playback the .iso on your hard drive to see if there is a problem before you burn?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Here is a picture of one of the disks wth the errors (retrieved from trash can) and they all look the same. Has anyone seen this before?

100_4840.jpg
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Dark Reign Sony08D1 is not MADE IN JAPAN media.
    Quote Quote  
  14. You're right. Original post edited.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks DarkReign, you've substantiated what Ive begun to suspect about my burner being the culprit here--we both have the exact same one (my HP system is the 7250, tho). Tell me something--were you burning CDs with the 840b and they all came out perfect, too, and only the DVD burns were effed-up?

Im very encouraged to hear that changing your writer solved the problem. Tomorrow is a work day/evening, but Im off Wed. and off to BestBuy to get a new burner. I'm gonna take budz recommendation and look for the LG H62L...

I'll let everyone know how this turns out in a couple more days.

b.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Blumphf
    Thanks DarkReign, you've substantiated what Ive begun to suspect about my burner being the culprit here--we both have the exact same one (my HP system is the 7250, tho). Tell me something--were you burning CDs with the 840b and they all came out perfect, too, and only the DVD burns were effed-up?

Im very encouraged to hear that changing your writer solved the problem. Tomorrow is a work day/evening, but Im off Wed. and off to BestBuy to get a new burner. I'm gonna take budz recommendation and look for the LG H62L...

I'll let everyone know how this turns out in a couple more days.

b.
    I forgot to mention the LGH62L is a SATA dvd burner not a IDE one. If you have a SATA on your mobo you can use it. I'd strongly suggest getting the PIONEER 1810 if you don't have a SATA connection on your mobo.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Noahtuck
    I went to BB yesterday at 3pm... they had about 20 +R and about 100 -R
    Looks like you have a good store by you. I've noticed this sort of pattern at my local BB before. I suspect it depends on the manager. That would be why I went at opening time of the first day.

Glad you had good luck. I'm fortunate that I still have some -R discs I can hold for use in the Pioneer and use the +Rs for use in the computer.

I was looking to stock up as I'm moving things off of a older computer I'm planning on wiping. It is amazing how things grow over time. My old computer's "MY Documents" was over 8Gig in size.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  18. I hadn't tried to burn a CD since the problem so I created an MP3 CD with Nero. The CD came out perfectly fine with the HP 840b.

Hope your new burner solves your problem. I will use the LG 4163b. Ironically, the 840b is a rebadged LG 4166b. Only thing left to do is to cross flash the burner to LG 4166b firmware but I am not sure it will work. It would void the warranty and is probably irreversible.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The 4163B is a renassas chipset drive, the 4166b us panasonic(matsushita). You cannot crossflash. In my opinion renassas chipset LG are superior to Panasonic.

I just retired a 15 month old 4163b which burned thousands of DVDs and CD - a great drive, highly media tolerant. I am running an H10N and a H42L which are more recent Renassas based LG drives and have another LG renassas drive in my Lenovo notebook.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I was referring to crossflashing the HP 840b to the LG4166b firmware.

I agree the LG4163b is superior with the renesas chipset. It uses PCAV for writing DVD-Rs instead of CAV in the HP 840b (rebadged LG4166b). Thus, it spins to full speed alot faster than the HP 840b which spins up from 4X to 8X at about 760mb.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    UPDATE:

Hey all, sorry I took so long getting back, was away for Memorial Day, then back to work, ya know, all that fun stuff...

Anyway, last week I bought a new burner (from Newegg) and it was delivered last Friday. I got the LG H42Lk primarily for these reasons: a) it was less expensive than most of the RAM drives BestBuy were selling, b) many others in these forums had mentioned getting good results with this brand's drives, and c) I was kind of addicted to the Lightscribe feature for my CD labeling (which the Pioneer drives didn't offer).

Anyway, it's been 5 days later, and I've managed to make about 25 copies in that time...and everyone of them came off without a hitch. So as Inspector Clouseau might have said...
    The Case Is Solve-Ed!

It turned out to be the HP drive that came with my system, after all. This is the second problem I've had with the HP bundled system I bought in '05...(the MB's memory failed on me last year--luckily I was still under warranty, but I ended up losing all the data on my HD because HP's Customer "Support" talked me into wiping my HD clean to reinstall windows, and the whole process took over a month to fix...) Grrr, nevermind, that's a whole other can of worms. Let's just say for anyone who thinking about purchasing a new system, my advice is--Don't Buy an HP!

But anyway, the LG is humming along nicely. I could tell it was gonna be the solution to my problem as soon as I started my first burn because it sounded so much quieter and *Efficient* than the buzzing and whirrings the HP drive was emitting. But just to be on the safe side, I checked every burn this time and they were all flawless. I hope my post here about the problem I've had with the HP drive may be helpful to anyone else who finds this site and searches here for info. because they're having problems too with copying DVDs using an HP system.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with help. I'll probably be back in the future to get some more advice on making covers labelings for my DVD cases, and down the road about transferring VHS tapes into files on my HD and then onto DVDs...

Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Blumphf good to hear your problem was solved with buying a new dvd burner.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Feels good, don't it? It's not a matter of rich, it is "How much is your time worth?"

A note on that re-format issue. SOP for most companies, a test they will all accept is extremely simple. Unplug absolutely everything except video, and even that if suspected as problem, though disconnecting video adds an extra complication.

Boot to the BIOS. And let it sit. 24-48 hours, if necessary. A properly functioning PC should NEVER reboot or freeze when in the BIOS. If you suddenly see "Insert Boot Disk", then it has rebooted itself. Basic problem exists, sufficient with all major manufacturers to send warranty tech, at the very least is ABSOLUTE PROOF that there is a problem that does NOT require formatting the HD. Assuming no electrical issues, plug it into an APC and that is an automatic answer. This does not necessarily mean the HD is FUBAR as well, but outside of virus this is relatively rare, and no sense messing with it unitl the basic Mobo-RAM-video problem is solved.

If that DOES work, then run a boot disk with some testing software, run checks thoroughly, one error is usually good enough. If THAT passes, then OS is starting to look reasonable. If at all possible, use a scratch drive after removing the original, install OS to scratch drive, if that works OK then either the original HD is having a mechanical problem, or spyware or corrupt files is an issue. Scan, replace as boot drive, repair install of Windows, remove unneeded software, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Just want to note that I'm having simular problems with my new HP burner. See:

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic330427.html#1710007

I might ask for a replacement dvd drive because under warrantee or might just get a better brand drive. Still running tests on it....
    Quote Quote