VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss
    hope for the best. pioneer has dumped the dvdr business and will no longer be making them. the 111 is probably the last.
    http://news.portalit.net/fullnews_Pioneer-Dumps-DVDs,-Focuses-On-Blu-ray_1624.html
    You read that wrong.
    It applies to DVD recorders (as in VCR replacements), not computer DVD burners.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I do have one odd problem. Now that its recognized I can play dvds but I can't read blanks.

I have nearly 80 blank office depot dvdrs (single layer). They show as blank in my old microadvantage burner but I can't see them in my new pioneer.

My pioneer will play dvds it just isn't reading blanks at the moment. I did download the firmware update but it says I'm running the latest version (the drive has a manufacture date of May 2006).

Could it be it just doesn't like these dvds???? I can't imagine it wouldn't read them at all. I currently don't have any other type of blanks to test. I'll try to get some later to test.

Any suggestions are welcome.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    aedipuss wrote:
    hope for the best. pioneer has dumped the dvdr business and will no longer be making them. the 111 is probably the last.
    Phew, just in time then!!!
    Glad i picked up mine today..

Edit:Just read LS's comments, and although you're correct, i can't help but wonder if the computer writers will follow suit...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Normally blanks in a DVD burner won't "appear" in Windows Explorer or otherwise be recognized as anything by the OS. A DOS command to the drive should elicit an "Incorrect Function [or Parameter]" error. However, what matters is that your burning software recognizes the presence of a blank disc. If your burning software is reasonably modern and it doesn't attempt to burn those OfficeDepot discs, then you've got something to be concerned about. If that's the case, find somebody who wants 80 blank OD discs and try another brand.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pijetro
    Edit:Just read LS's comments, and although you're correct, i can't help but wonder if the computer writers will follow suit...
    I seriously doubt it.

Pioneer is not a single company, they are a single brand name with several subdivisions that largely operate independent of one another. Many huge companies are like that. From what I know, DVD recorders are part of a home entertainment division, while computer burners are something else entirely.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by crayoneater
    If your burning software is reasonably modern and it doesn't attempt to burn those OfficeDepot discs, then you've got something to be concerned about. If that's the case, find somebody who wants 80 blank OD discs and try another brand.
    Thats just it my ROXIO software DOES read it on my microadvantage burner. But the same software won't read it on my new pioneer.

About the only thing I can think of is the drive that was in the slot previously was a DVD-ROM/CD burner. Is there any way windows still sees it as a readonly dvd instead of a burner? Even though it shows its a pioneer??
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, Windows should recognize it as a burner. Windows is pretty good about that. You should never be able to "read" blank discs with a burner. The burner knows it's a blank and *SHOULD* give you some kind of error code if you try to view it in Windows Explorer (or Roxio or anything else). When you had the MA drive installed, Roxio simply told you it was a blank disc and the Pioneer simply isn't clueing Roxio in the way a read-only drive will. But if you can burn and then read you're ok.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks crayoneater.

For some reason its WORKING NOW!!!! Roxio read my blank dvd. And I'm burning as I type.

The odd thing is it says the top burning speed is 12x but its a 16x burner and the disc is 16x. Could it be because my Roxio version is old? I have roxio 6. Was that before 16x was common????
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    Thanks crayoneater.

For some reason its WORKING NOW!!!! Roxio read my blank dvd. And I'm burning as I type.

The odd thing is it says the top burning speed is 12x but its a 16x burner and the disc is 16x. Could it be because my Roxio version is old? I have roxio 6. Was that before 16x was common????

Roxio ?!?!?!
    Have you NOT been paying attention here all this time ??
    You should be BANNED for using ROXIO let alone admiting you use it!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by noahtuck
    Roxio ?!?!?!
    Have you NOT been paying attention here all this time ??
    You should be BANNED for using ROXIO let alone admiting you use it!!
    First of all I got it with my first dvd burner as the free software.

Second of all - I ONLY USE IT FOR BURNING NOT ENCODING :P :P :P :P :P
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I believe that version is pre-16x and pre-double-layer. My Roxio 6 version came with my Aopen burner. I used it for awhile but it didn't allow you to produce a video DVD so I started using Nero.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks crayoneater. I'll look into other options.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    First of all I got it with my first dvd burner as the free software.
    Ya know how many of those i got with burners over the years ??
    Straight into the trash without even opening them let alone putting it on a pc

Second of all - I ONLY USE IT FOR BURNING NOT ENCODING :P :P :P :P :P
    It's still only good for recycling to TP

gettin' pretty sad dude.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well no worries - I just bought TDA 2.0. So know I'll have full dual layer support and burning capabilities.

If I need to burn just data I'll give imgburn a try or maybe someother freeware burner software.

Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My choice would be Benq, Pioneer and NEC in that order. I'd choose Benq first due to bit setting ability built in whereas both Pioneer and NEC require firmware mod to enable bit setting. I'd likely choose Pioneer first if bit setting weren't important. I currently have a NEC 3520A that would burn Ritek G05 with 3.05 firmware at 12x but now refuses to burn G05 at all after firmware update. I'm hoping back flashing to 3.05 firmware will correct this unless the update permanently changed something that back flashing can't correct. I also have a Pioneer 107D that reads some disks that the NEC doesn't read.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bevills1
    My choice would be Benq, Pioneer and NEC in that order. I'd choose Benq first due to bit setting ability built in whereas both Pioneer and NEC require firmware mod to enable bit setting. I'd likely choose Pioneer first if bit setting weren't important. I currently have a NEC 3520A that would burn Ritek G05 with 3.05 firmware at 12x but now refuses to burn G05 at all after firmware update. I'm hoping back flashing to 3.05 firmware will correct this unless the update permanently changed something that back flashing can't correct. I also have a Pioneer 107D that reads some disks that the NEC doesn't read.
    Seconded.
    -Brett
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My choice would be BENQ AND PIONEER 111D. I've read that NEC drives aren't good readers which is why I've never bought one. I only use my dvd-rom's to read a disc and occassionally will use my dvd burners if the disc can't be read by the dvd-rom. But I do have to say my PLEXTOR 708A drive is still going and is the best reader when all my other dvdroms & dvd burners fail to read a disc.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Roxio may need to be uninstalled for other burning programs to work correctly. I know via first hand experience Roxio and Nero don't mix, and I'd be surprised if there aren't clashes with other burning programs too. Your problems may very well persist if the problem is burner/media incompatibility as stated in my previous reply. That would leave you with choices of trying different firmware version with that media or change the media. BTW I've seen Nero 6.6 OEM version between $3 to $5 from various vendors.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if bit setting weren't important. .
    For 99% of folks out there, bitsetting is not important. It's rarely done. Only DVD+R DL really needs it, and Pioneer and several other drive automatically change it for you.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bit setting is required even on single layer disks for my Toshiba SDK610 DVD player which will play no single layer disks created on the LiteOn LVW-5005 standalone recorder regardless of media type used, and the Toshiba will play all -R disks created on PC burner but no +R disks. The only workable solution I find for LiteOn standalone created disks is to first record to disks of my choosing (usually RW media so disks may be reused), and then do iso read and iso write on PC burner using +R media with booktype set to DVD-ROM which then will play on the Toshiba. I've seen a couple of other posts where users had similar problems playing standalone recorder created disks not playing in some DVD players.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've read that NEC drives aren't good readers which is why I've never bought one.
    Mine's pretty good. At least as good as most others. The best one of all though is the Aopen (Generic, was I/O Magic) 8X DVD+R 4x DVD-R single-layer in one of my Windows 98 machines. That drive reads anything!

bitsetting is not important
    I agree that bitsetting is important even on single-layer discs. Even modern equipment doesn't necessarily know how to handle DVD+R. Of course, I use exclusively DVD-R, so, to me this is not an issue.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just a few days ago I saw a new ad for a Toshiba player which indicated it supported -R media only. This may mean standalone recorder disks may be incompatible with that new Toshiba just as they are with mine. You'd think companies would support both formats by now or even have the standalones output +R media to DVD-ROM booktype, but they obviously don't which means bit setting may be needed by many for some time.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Upon full reading of reviews for Benq 1650 and Pioneer 111D burners at CDFreaks I would revise my choice to the Pioneer which has the advantage IMO, especially for DVD -R writing quality. Even for DVD +R writing test results shows the Pioneer produces very good to excellent quality compared to Benq's good to very good quality. The Pioneer also support -RAM which isn't really important to me but may be useful for some. The Pioneer can also be flashed to 111L to enable bit setting via the Dangerous Brothers firmware. I'd just about decided to go Benq myself until I read reviews in total. The only little complaint I might have about the Pioneer is that review points out it burns many 16X media only at 12X, but that's no problem for me. Bottom line is quality of burned media which is why most choose or don't choose a burner in the first place. One thing I noted for both Benq and Pioneer was some player incompatibility for DL -R media, and one would be wise to choose DL +R media regardless of burner choice IMO.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just a few days ago I saw a new ad for a Toshiba player which indicated it supported -R media only. This may mean standalone recorder disks may be incompatible with that new Toshiba just as they are with mine. You'd think companies would support both formats by now or even have the standalones output +R media to DVD-ROM booktype, but they obviously don't which means bit setting may be needed by many for some time.
    Toshiba has always only "officially" supported DVD Forum formats (DVD-R and DVD-RW). But in reality, it plays DVD+R and DVD+RW and DVD+R DL beautifully. It's a pretty universal player. A bunch of the newer ones do SVCD/DVB and PAL too.

The reason the only officially support one or the other is because of licensing and other business reasons.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Upon full reading of reviews for Benq 1650 and Pioneer 111D burners at CDFreaks I would revise my choice to the Pioneer which has the advantage IMO, especially for DVD -R writing quality. Even for DVD +R writing test results shows the Pioneer produces very good to excellent quality compared to Benq's good to very good quality. The Pioneer also support -RAM which isn't really important to me but may be useful for some. The Pioneer can also be flashed to 111L to enable bit setting via the Dangerous Brothers firmware. I'd just about decided to go Benq myself until I read reviews in total. The only little complaint I might have about the Pioneer is that review points out it burns many 16X media only at 12X, but that's no problem for me. Bottom line is quality of burned media which is why most choose or don't choose a burner in the first place. One thing I noted for both Benq and Pioneer was some player incompatibility for DL -R media, and one would be wise to choose DL +R media regardless of burner choice IMO.
    You just summed up my recent decision to buy the 111d. The real competitor to it for me was the NEC 3550a.

I may end up w/ a few burners before I'm done though.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My 2002 Toshiba model SDK610 will play SVCD too, but I'm unsure about the other formats to which lordsmurf refers. As stated in my 7/3 reply concerning this player it will play all -R media but not +R media unless burned with booktype set to DVD-ROM which plays fine. I'm talking only single layer media since I've not yet tried DL burns. If I correctly understand it, DL burners set booktype to DVD-ROM for DL +R media which should also play on my Toshiba since single layer +R play fine when booktype set to DVD-ROM. Check https://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers?DVDname=toshiba+sdk610&Su ... mp;hits=25 to see mixed results of Toshiba SDK610 users with some being able to play +R media, and some can't play +R media. I suspect those that can play +R were burned on burners with booktype set to DVD-ROM for +R media without realizing the reason for success. Perhaps the newer Toshibas are improved, but I wouldn't buy one unless I could verify the single layer +R compatibility issues were fixed.

One other aspect concerning bit setting seems to be that many DL burners can set booktype for single layer +R although some require firmware mod to achieve bit setting ability, but I've yet to find any single layer burners such as my Pioneer 107D and LiteOn LVW-5005 standalone recorder which have firmware mod to enable bit setting. I figure that's got to be because dvices have to support bit setting to be able to mod the firmware which apparently single layer burners don't support bit setting.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LT9000, the only problem I've had with my NEC 3520A is failure to read DVD video single layer disks on some media when I try to copy a disk via DVDDecrypter iso read/iso write whereas my Pioneer 107D has never failed same task. CDFreaks has the NEC 3540A rated below average for this task in their review of that drive, and I'd not get another NEC for that reason unless NEC improves reading on newer drives.
    Quote Quote