VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. I didn't notice that it was a notebook 3500 - I didn't even know there was such a drive... For that matter I've never seen a notebook drive that was listed as faster than 8x. You DO have a 3500 in your laptop, or is it a 6500? My brother's laptop has a 6500, it maxes out at about 7x despite being listed as an 8x burner. I don't know if this is a limitation of the drive or the drive's interface with the laptop. Other than it burning a little slow it's a great drive.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Ahh. You got me there and I should have known better. 'Braces for the flames'. It is indeed a 6500 and not a 3500. Got my numbers screwed up. It is a decent drive, but it doesn't recognize alot of burned discs. Even the ones it burns itself. The same discs can be read in my Pioneer however. Here is a link to that guy who did all the extensive testing http://notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=58603 I had some Taiyo Yuden's burn at 8X
    Quote Quote  
  3. What is a good, reasonably cheap dvd-r media that the 3520a can burn at or close to 16x?
    Quote Quote  
  4. mcnabb311, I know he's used Vebatim MCC 01RG20 on his 6500 at about 7x + and I believe that both TYG02 and T02 8x TY media burns at close to 8x on his 6500 as well. He was complaining about it not burning faster than 4x but I told him to burn with DVD Decrypter, which reports the true burning speeds. I think I recall it topping out around 7.2x at least one of the times I watched it.

As far as it not recognizing alot of burned discs, I don't know what that's about. He's not told me of any problems reading discs, and it's the only DVD drive he has. All I can say is try out any new FWs that might exist, and see if there are any modified FWs as well. You can check CDfreaks.com's NEC forum for specifics.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by mcnabb311
    Ahh. You got me there and I should have known better. 'Braces for the flames'. It is indeed a 6500 and not a 3500. Got my numbers screwed up.
    That explains a lot. When you said "notebook", I also assumed it was in an external enclosure. Hope I wasn't too harsh.
    Still a few bugs in the system...
    Quote Quote  
  6. "Hope I wasn't too harsh"

Nah, don't worry about it.

As far as burn speeds go, I watch for time not the instant reported burn speed so much. I'll try some other FW as soon as I get off all of this OT at work.
    Quote Quote