VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I recorded movie from TV. It is Full HD 1920x1080. The aspect ratio of movie 1,85 according to imdb.com (1920x1038) <- measured in Krita without black bars, that are part of video. I should add that I did measure on source frame, not at the screen frame. The difference between 1920x1038 and 1,85 is meaningless -2,890173410404624e-4 so the difference in percents is 0,015625%. But when I take a picture what I supposed to be perfect circle, its height is 1329 and width 1297 (when 4x resized) That is small but noticeable at circle at least. In fact it is almost 2,5% difference. That makes 25 lines less than 1038.
    The problem can be.
    a) poorly measure (hardly true)
    b) badly handled on TV side
    c) The reference image is not real circle (weird, because it should be perfect circle)
    d) monitor/playback or something with aspect ratio on my side, but then I wouldn't be able measure perfectly 1038px height of video.
    e) anything else.

I have to add, it is just for my curiosity, because I am used to watch SD station that used 4:3 content stretch to 16:9.

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 30th Oct 2017 at 05:20. Reason: More exchanged for less
    Quote Quote  
  2. Upload the sample video with the circle.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you Jagabo for reply, it is well known movie. I dont want break rules. Is there some time limit for duration that it is o.k. ?
    Meanwhile i upload the picture with circle (and with real circle on it).
    [Attachment 43589 - Click to enlarge]

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, it is hopeless to upload video, because in title scene, it is all black, so black bars are invisible. But I did video if it helps.
    Here is very short sample
    Thank you for response.
    I noticed, there is 1 black pixel on each side. It is changing situation bit, but dont explain it. So it difference in aspect ratio is now 0,1%
    Here is screenshot

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 2nd Nov 2017 at 07:20. Reason: Added screenshot with black bars
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    The sample is encoded at 1920×1080 square pixels with a display aspect of 16:9. Therefore, the squashing must have occurred when it was encoded.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't see any reason to believe that white circle should be a perfect circle. Even the matte that they used with it doesn't fit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I encoded it in handbrake, I post mediainfo of original file. But I know it is 16/9. But black bars are in video. If you measured picture i uploaded, then you get something around 1918/1038-9 which is almost 1,85 (it is about tenth of percent something like 100,1%). But when measure circle then I got 2% difference height / width. That is the question. In clip I posted are black bars hidden, as edited earlier.
    Thank you
    Bernix
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Jagabo,
    it should be, because it is gunpoint. And I don't know why they would do it taller.
    Thank you
    Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 2nd Nov 2017 at 09:30. Reason: squeezed is probably wrong word, but don't know right one word. Taller will be right one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I must admit, I was wrong. I just checked circle (small (r)) from company title. And it was wider than taller 61/59 but it is so tiny and so antialiased, so it is possibly wrong measure. It is shame, that they cant do a circle (gunpoint) probably some psychology is in it. But then, what can be good reference. Tire hardly if not shot accurate. I don't really know what can then be reference.
    Thank you all. I suppose then that it is alright.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  10. That clip isn't very clear. Is it upscaled SD? 2.5 percent is about the difference between rec.601 (704) and MPEG (720) scaling.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, the clip wasn't converted. It was still 1920x1080. I don't think also it is resized from SD, at the end there is notice it is digitally remastered version. But the bandwidth of DVB-T isn't best. It is about 5000 kb/s h264. But it doesn't matter. Original according to imdb.com it was shot in 1,85:1 ratio, and it is. The measure is complicated but gives results about 102,something to 103 +/-.
    But now I believe it is simply taller circle in original. I have also earlier movie, that was shot in 1,37:1 so I will measure it now. It has same (almost) titles scene. Also transmitted in 1920x1080. Will report soon.
    Thank you for your interest

Edit, the picture I upscaled, the clip no.

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 2nd Nov 2017 at 13:55. Reason: Added EDIT line
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I measured the 1,37:1 movie and it is 1790:1080 so about 1,65 - 1,66:1 but circles seems to me there be perfect. Probably cropped then. But I dont miss anything in initial titles nor during movie. Weird weird thing. But I have to take it easy

Oh!!! it is perfect!!!
    May measure is o.k.

1.37 : 1 (negative ratio)
    1.66 : 1 (intended ratio, Europe)
    1.85 : 1 (intended ratio, USA)

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 2nd Nov 2017 at 14:29. Reason: added aditional aspect ratio info
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I don't want new thread, but what about some library with reference objects? Is it definitely bad idea?

Bernix
    Quote Quote