VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This thing looks powerful enough to play 4K HEVC files with it's i7 & geforce 1070 GPU combo. It has HDMI2.0 output for a large hook up to 4K screen. There are external UHD blu-ray drives now. But I can't find if it has HDCP2.0 & SGX.

For UHDBlu-ray, as GPU's don't have sgx & can't assist in decoding the HEVC, can the i7 7820HQ alone do it? If not no big deal breaker as hopefully by the time good UHD titles arrive some decrypter/ripper will exist.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A CPU and a motherboard with SGX support are absolute requirements for commercial UHD Blu-ray disc playback. The Intel SGX feature needs to be enabled in the motherboard BIOS settings and allocated with 128 MB or above memory space. I can't tell you if the Aorus X7 V7 Laptop meets these requirements, but there are definitely other hardware requirements that it doesn't meet.

The Geforce 1070 can decode 10-bit HEVC, but unfortunately, the use of a discrete video card is not supported for commercial UHD Blu-ray disc playback. The Kaby Lake processor's iGPU (Intel HD Graphics 630 or Intel Iris Graphics 640) must be used instead, with the HDMI 2.0a out and HDCP 2.2 provided by the motherboard. See https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd-ultra/spec_en_US.html?&r=1

Also, since the Aorus X7 V7 doesn't have an ODD you would need a USB 3.0 UHD Blu-ray drive. They do exist, but may not be easy to find everywhere.

You will need to wait for that UHD Blu-ray decrypter to arrive to use this laptop.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Sep 2017 at 08:24.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. It's not a matter of CPU/GPU power. It's all about DRM.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    It's not a matter of CPU/GPU power. It's all about DRM.
    Very true.

Those wanting a UHD Blu-ray ripper may have a long wait. Most of the UHD Blu-ray "rips" in circulation are captures. Given the small number of supposedly genuine rips that I've heard about, I doubt that AACS 2.0 has truly been cracked yet.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote