VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello everybody,

I want to learn something about these products and WinTV 8 software. If you use Hauppauge HD PVR 2 or Hauppauge Colossus 2, you can help me much.

Do you suggest these products for real time capturing?
    I know these cards are for gamers. But I want to use them for capturing from digital or analog video sources in mp4 format. What I want to learn is if these products capture in mp4 format directly without convertion from TS or MPG formats. When I stop capture, I want an mp4 file to be ready at once without having to wait for re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe ask Christopher2222, who started this thread.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/387718-Best-720p-capture-rate

What device do you have that needs MP4s? As often times it is going to need to be able to deinterlace 1080i content that you record, should you want to play these recordings raw.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    Maybe ask Christopher2222, who started this thread.

What device do you have that needs MP4s?

I will change the thread after this reply.
    We have HD tape camcorder, VCRs and, analog camcorders like Digital8, Hi8, Mini DV. We used Hauppauge PVR-250 before for mpeg-2 capture. Now, We want to record from these analog sources to mp4 format directly. We know analog sources' quality is not more than 720x576 but people prefer mp4 format in order to play them via tv's usb ports.

As often times it is going to need to be able to deinterlace 1080i content that you record, should you want to play these recordings raw.
    Actually, I can't understand your last sentence. If analog sources resolutions are lower than mp4 resolutions, does it cause problem? Our aim is to capture in mp4 format and play mp4 files on TVs or computers without any problems. Should I consider something before I get one of these capture devices?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Hauppauge HD PVR 2 and it can capture in MP4 or .TS or .M2TS format with a HDMI input.
    I haven't used WinTV 8 software. But anything that outputs a
    HDMI signal you should be able to capture directly to MP4.

I don't have the AV in cable, so I've never tried that.
    I bought it off Ebay, and cables weren't included.

I have this model: http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr2-gaming.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by OS_Man View Post
    As often times it is going to need to be able to deinterlace 1080i content that you record, should you want to play these recordings raw.
    Actually, I can't understand your last sentence. If analog sources resolutions are lower than mp4 resolutions, does it cause problem? Our aim is to capture in mp4 format and play mp4 files on TVs or computers without any problems. Should I consider something before I get one of these capture devices?
    What I was trying to say was that if you record HD programming, like 1080i content then your recording will also be interlaced and need to be deinterlaced by the player.

If you are planning on capturing analog SD formats like Video8, VHS, Hi8, and others then you will need to deinterlace, either with the Colossus or with a second re-encoding. Your HD tape might also be interlaced.

MP4 is a container along with .MKV and .TS (can think of them like a ZIP or RAR) and has no resolution restrictions apart from the restrictions the placed on the video formats it can contain, like H.264. There are restrictions above 4k with H.264 but you won't run into those here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    If you are planning on capturing analog SD formats like Video8, VHS, Hi8, and others then you will need to deinterlace, either with the Colossus or with a second re-encoding. Your HD tape might also be interlaced.
    If we use one of these products, do we have to wait for deinterlace process after capture? Should the deinterlace process be done after capture or during the capture? Does it take much time to deinterlace a 4 GB captured file? And is it nonsense capturing analog videos to mp4? I'm sorry, I don't have enough information about capturing from analog to HD. I thought, I could capture videos in mp4 format from analog sources in real time without any problems and extra processes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's the thing, the Colossus might have options for deinterlacing and then outputting progressive content which you would need, but I don't know if the Colossus can do that or not.
    Quote Quote  
  8. All the information you are looking for is available on their web site.

To answer your question very easily though, YES! The hauppauge hd pvr DOES output an MP4 file that is ready for whatever you want when it is done. I use mine to record boxing through my satellite service.

It seems like I do only capture in 720p as a rule. I can't remember why exactly that is but it could have been because of the "interlace" as mentioned above.
    Last edited by yearofthespider2k3; 10th Feb 2018 at 20:19.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Realtime deinterlace is always ghastly stuff.
    Don't do that if quality matters.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Realtime deinterlace is always ghastly stuff.
    Don't do that if quality matters.
    Are you saying capturing at anything other than 480i would be real-time deinterlacing? (480p output would mean it's been deinterlaced)? My video processor outputs at 480p, 720p & 1080i. Is it better to capture at 1080i due to the same frame rate as the source?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by clashradio View Post
    Are you saying capturing at anything other than 480i would be real-time deinterlacing? (480p output would mean it's been deinterlaced)?
    Yes, he is saying that.

Originally Posted by clashradio View Post
    My video processor outputs at 480p, 720p & 1080i. Is it better to capture at 1080i due to the same frame rate as the source?
    1080i would be worse than 480p. In order to produce 1080i output from 480i input, the video must be deinterlaced to 480p, then upscaled to 1080p, then re-interlaced to 1080i, in real time.

A quote from one of my posts in one of your other threads:
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    480i captures are the best way to go for NTSC interlaced video, especially for a video created from a film source. What will it take to make you believe we really do mean that this is the best way to go?
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you usually_quiet. You've helped me a lot in the past on my laserdisc capture questions. I'm still deciding the best capture method. I did buy the best processor out there (Lumagen 2144) due to it's 3D comb filter. But the lowest rez is 480p via hdmi. The 2144 does have pretty good upscale to 1080i, but like everyone recommends I'd rather upscale in post.

I have been looking into a dvd recorder like you recommended to capture at 480i via component.

One major problem is Windows 7 is going away in two years. Some capture devices won't work with 10.
    Quote Quote  
  13. If you have money: https://www.aja.com/products/io-express#techspecs
    There are cheaper (and older) aja cards out there though
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    If you have money: https://www.aja.com/products/io-express#techspecs
    There are cheaper (and older) aja cards out there though
    Thank you themaster. I've recently been looking into AJA products. But whatever I get I'll thinking it will be a pci/e card. They seem to have a bunch of good ones.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Those Hauppauge devices will lock up frequently if you try to capture VHS and other sources with poor time base (especially if you FF or RW). You'll have to power cycle them to get them back online.
    Quote Quote