VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am brand spanking new to burning to DVD and I have some questions. I have a number of videos, some that I took myself on my new camcorder, and some xvid avi videos, that I want to burn to DVD.

I am looking for a software I can use that will let me create a menu so I can put it into the DVD player, select what I want to watch, then watch it.

I have Pinnacle Studio 10. If I use a menu that has upper and lower selections, my DVD player remote is unable to move down in order to select the shows. And when I burned 3 shows on one DVD, on the last one the sound was so horribly unsync'd that it was really unwatchable.

I converted my xvid avi's to MPEG so that I could use them in Pinnacle Studio 10. Just a few minutes ago I bought the Divx codec for Studio 10, but that didn't work for the xvids, and I do'nt see an xvid codec. Fortunately it was cheap.

Anyway, so I'm looking for a very easy to use software that can handle xvid avi's, makes nice menus, and does a good job burning. It looks like maybe I'm looking at Roxio. I wish they had a free demo though so I could make sure it worked for what I wanted before I bought. Nero might have more than I really need. I am getting the free trial version of Ulead movie factory to see if that'll do what I'm looking for.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    For AVI type formats, (MPEG-4) presently only the Divx6 codec can use menus, and they will only work with a Divx6 Ultra certified player. If you don't have the player or you are using other codecs, the only menus you will see will be generated by the Divx player.

Now if you are converting your videos to MPEG-2, DVD compliant format, any DVD player should accept those menus. For most Divx/Xvid conversions to DVD, I would try ConvertXToDVD and see how it works for you. It's one of the best all-in-one converters available. If you want more control, then you will have to do a bit more reading. But we have plenty of guides, depending on the software you want to use.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh okay, so if I just put the avi files into the software and burn, they will still burn as avi's and not be viewable on my DVD player. That makes sense.

I do have ConvertXToDVD and I have used it a couple of times so I can do that, and then use one of the apps I am thinking about to create a menu and burn to DVD?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    ConvertX should give you the menus. If you want more in the shape of menus, then a regular authoring program may work better. You can re-author the ConvertX DVD output if wanted. I'm not sure why Pinnacle is not producing compliant menus and DVDs. Not really familiar with the program, but someone here likely is.

The 'third' video may have other problems. Did you try playing it before burning?
    Quote Quote