VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All!

First post here. I have an opportunity to buy a Marantz MV5100 (w/o remote). My intention is to use this to convert old home VHS tapes to digital for uploading to youtube for the family to view. Based on my research, it seems a VHS player with built in TBC is going to be my best option.

I want to know if this VHS player has this. I have found some info that it is a re-badge of a JVC 9000 series (which I understand is a pretty awesome unit with TBC), but have not been able to corroborate this.

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks all!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't worry so much about the built in TBC on any VCR you are looking at, chances are it will give you a better quality image overall but It won't likely be enough to give you a stable digital conversion through any sort of capture device. Obviously don't use that as a reason to not buy a good VCR this just means you will have to pass the signal through a Panasonic DMR-ES series DVD recorder or full frame TBC like a TBC-1000.

So regardless of what VCR you have you will need an external TBC of some sort, choosing a higher quality VCR will only result in differing features and potentially video quality / stability.
    Quote Quote