VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    20 years of creating .mpg files with VideoReDo and now I start video editing them and DaVinci Resolve refuses to recognise them, I google Sony Vegas and again read posters unable to open them.
    What is going on, why is this commonplace video file rejected ?
    What is an intuitive video editing program that scrubs with sound that will recognise them ? (vegas I tried didnt scrub with sound, DaVinci did) Power Director layering was upside down so I rejected it)

How does one overcome this mpg problem, the option of converting years of work, the time its going to take, its already creased me, years spent on this, the storage implications. I play .mpg and capture stills using Jaksta so need to be able to continue doing so, Video editors dont allow for single button poke and capture on the fly. Converting all to .mp4 I need to still play and capture as such.

Will the suggested conversion files be same quality or more or less ?

Can I get daVinci or Vegas to overcome their rejection with a plugin ?

I trialled Vegas, Power Director and DaVinci Resolve and never tried out .mpg DaVinci being free and very well praised with effects options to progress into was my choice.

I am early days into DaVinci so I could change direction, it had less issues than vegas.

I used to use Adobe Premiere Pro but it was only suited to avi, it used to crash with .mpg if its better now it will be subs I fear, I also will not pay subs for progs as I have so many different progs I use it would financially cripple me as none of my work gets paid for, subs assume the prog is your main prog being used and that one is receiving a salary and getting paid for work. My money runs out and thats no subs.

DBenz
    Quote Quote  
  2. Latest version of Premiere will accept .mpg and even .vob files. Yes, it is $20/mo.

Resolve will import HDV mpeg, but not DVD mpeg.
    Last edited by smrpix; 8th Jun 2021 at 07:41.
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DBenz View Post
    Hi,
    20 years of creating .mpg files with VideoReDo and now I start video editing them and DaVinci Resolve refuses to recognise them, I google Sony Vegas and again read posters unable to open them.
    What is going on, why is this commonplace video file rejected ?
    Apparently there may be ¿minor? variations in the bitstream format of MPEG-1 /-2 video which unfortunately are not supported by certain applications...

Years ago I created some .m2v files with MainConcept Reference and they were rejected by both VirtualDub and the MPG multiplexer of TMPGenc Plus 2.5
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  4. Just an idea: Try to remux your mpg to mkv with MkvToolNix and the try to import the new created mkv into the apps above.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For input, DaVinci Resolve mostly supports container file formats used by cameras. See the supported codec list here.

If I'm reading the support list correctly, for Windows 10 PCs, it looks like MPEG2 is supported if it is in a mov file or proprietary file formats associated with various camera brands. The mpg container and mkv container are not supported. Assuming DaVinci Resolve accepts a mov file containing MPEG2, the file will be re-encoded to MPEG4 when exported.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Never had a problem with MPGs (including those from VideoRedo) in Movie Edit Pro:

https://www.magix.com/gb/video/movie-edit-pro/specifications/#c1199517

One correction: it will not natively import or export MOV files. Extra codecs need to be installed.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Resolve will import and open mpeg2 files if they are .mov, mxf OP1A , or mxf OP-Atom. It will not encode into mpeg2. You can also import .mkv files into Resolve. Mpeg2 is a delivery format and is used for the video portion of DVDs.
    Canon C100 mk2 - Dell XPS8700 i7 - Win 10 - 24gb RAM - GTX 1060/6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.3 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - 3 calibrated screens
    Quote Quote