VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was wondering if I can put multiple SVCD movies on a DVD and play them back on a DVD player. Is this possible? I know I can just burn the MPEG's on the DVD as data and play them back on my TV but my player wont let me rewind or fastforward when done this way.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it's possible. The problem with SVCD resolution is that it is not DVD compliant, so some players will not accept it, in which case you will have to re-encode. Look up SVCD to DVD under format conversion in the guides section.
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
  3. Will I be able to put as many movies as I can up to the 4.7 gigs or is there a time limit like in cd-r's?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes you can, you will be creating what is called a DVD-SVCD. I would not recommend this format whatsoever since SVCD is one of the rarer formats that play on DVD players and the same can go with DVD-SVCD but even rarer! What you do to do this is to demux the sound and video and then re-encode the sound to 48khz (DVD compliant). Then mux them back together but with the new sound and then you need to trick your DVD author into believing that the video is a DVD compliant resolution by running it through DVDpatcher. Either go with 740x480 or 352x480. Then tmpgenc dvd author will accept it and burn but no guarantees that your dvd player will play it. It's better to re-encode the svcd mpeg-2 into a compliant dvd mpeg-2 and create a real dvd-video that plays on any player
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    There never has been a time limit on any vcd or svcd or dvdr on how long the movie/file can be,its all in the size which is dictated by the bitrate.As already been said it is best to re-encode to 352x480 so most dvd players will play it in the future.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But remember that they still has to be authored as DVD - And most DVD authoring apps refuses to accept non DVD compliant mpegs (such as a SVCD mpeg) as source material. Try SVCDTODVDMPG that fools the player (and authoring app) by changing a value in the mpeg header, and resamples the audio to 48 kHz (required!). Has worked nicely for me...

/Mats
    Quote Quote