VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    I am using staxrip to convert my recorded gameplay videos from x264 to x265. I have 3 discrete AMD GPUs in my PC and i was wondering is there a way to choose which GPU staxrip uses to encode my videos with with H.265?
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can't make x265 use any GPU. It's a software only encoder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Also gpu encoders are really crappy at putting out videos if you want to get video card output.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you're using NVENC I believe the GPU number is Device on the Other tab:

[Attachment 66977 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo No i am using AMD VCEEnc. I was hoping that i had missed what you are showing in the screenshot but unfortunately the same tab on my PC is very different. There is nothing there that suggests device selection. See my screenshot bellow.

johns0 if you are talking about the quality of the resulting video when encoded with a GPU H.265 thats what i used to think too. I remember a few years back when i tried it the quality of my converts was horrible no mater which settings i selected. But when i tried again recently i dont know why but the quality now is awesome! I get half or even 1/3 of the original video size with no noticeable downgrade in video quality. I have used it many times with the same results. I just want to be able to select which gpu staxrip uses for the encoding.

Any other ideas? I find it hard to believe that there is no way to tell the program which device it should use.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vceeng.png
Views:	42
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	66979  

Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by kiri View Post
    jagabo No i am using AMD VCEEnc. I was hoping that i had missed what you are showing in the screenshot but unfortunately the same tab on my PC is very different. There is nothing there that suggests device selection. See my screenshot bellow.
    Check the other tabs.

I don't use Staxrip -- but can you modify the command line options at the bottom manually? If so you might be able to specify a device number there. Many GUI's let you do that for parameters not controlled by the GUI.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have checked all the tabs a few times and didn't find anything there. Like you said its probably not in the GUI although i find it strange since you show with your screenshot that for NVENC it does exist.

Either way it doesn't matter if its in the GUI, yes i can edit the command line at the bottom and add my own parameters but i have no idea what the parameter that selects which device will be used is called. I checked the staxrip documentation and couldn't find anything so i posted here.

Do you have any idea where to look to find the parameter that i need?
    Quote Quote  
  8. The option should take the same form as the others. My guess is the command is "--device N" where N is the number of the GPU.

These aren't StaxRip options, they are VCEEnc options.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    If you're using NVENC I believe the GPU number is Device on the Other tab:

[Attachment 66977 - Click to enlarge]
    So i have an idea. Would it be too much trouble for you to go to the settings in your screenshot and select device "1" (instead of 0) and tell me the code that appears for it at the bottom? I could then manually input that in my end and see if it works. Like i said i don't have those setting here so i cant find it my self!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The option should take the same form as the others. My guess is the command is "--device N" where N is the number of the GPU.

These aren't StaxRip options, they are VCEEnc options.
    You posted as i was writing my last post. Thank you, are right those are VCEEnc options i dont know why i didnt think to check the documentations for it, i expect to find the parameter there! Will also try "--device N".

I cant do it right now but will check it out tonight and ill report back
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by kiri View Post
    So i have an idea. Would it be too much trouble for you to go to the settings in your screenshot and select device "1" (instead of 0) and tell me the code that appears for it at the bottom? I could then manually input that in my end and see if it works. Like i said i don't have those setting here so i cant find it my self!
    I don't have Staxrip or a nVidia graphics card so I can't do that. I just found that screen grab somewhere on the internet. In any case, those options are specific to the encoder so the same exact text may not work.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Since there was a portable version of Staxrip I went ahead and downloaded it. On the NVEnc dialog when you select a Device number greater than zero it adds "--device N" to the command line options (where N is the number you selected).
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you so much jagabo for all the info and for taking the time to find the portable version of staxrip just to help me! You were right the correct parameter is "--device N". I was too focused on staxrip to realize that it was a VCEEncC setting that had nothing to do with staxrip itself.

After you helped me realize that i found the bellow quote:
    "VCEEncC will automatically select a GPU depending on the options used, when there are multiple GPUs available which support VCE/VCN. --device option can be used to specify on which GPU to run manually."

For anyone else with the same problem just add --device N (where N is the number of the GPU) to your command line. For staxrip this can be done by clicking on "encoder options" going to "other" tab and just typing it in the "custom:" textbox that can be seen in my screenshot above. These are VCEEnc options and staxrip just provides a convenient button to get to them.

Thank you again jagabo you completely solved my problem
    Quote Quote  
  14. A question maybe you can answer: Does the device numbering start with 0 or 1? That is, does 0 mean the first device, 1 mean the second, etc? Or does 0 mean automatic/default selection, 1 mean the first device 2, mean the second, etc?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It starts with 0. --device 0 is the first gpu, --device 1 is the second. If you have more gpus you will have to experiment to determine which number addresses each gpu.

If you dont enter the "--device" parameter at all then it automatically selects the most suitable gpu based on the rest of the settings that you set in the encoder.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Thanks, that should help others in the future.
    Quote Quote