VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been trying to convert an already joined avi to DVD and have not been able to do it 100% yet. I've had audio sync problems, screen format problems, and now some kid of encoding problem. I managed to get the audio and screen format resolved (audio sync by using mpeg2enc) and the screen format by choosing DVD 16:9 AND decode with quicktime/letterbox (the original is in a 2.35:1 ratio).

However, somewhere towards the end of the file, the encoded version just turns white - no video, just audio - and it looks as though even if the video was there, it didn't get all of it. I have checked the individual files and the full joined avi in VLC and it's all there with no problems. Does anyone have any suggestions at this point as to what might be going on? Oh, and I checked the long output from the encoding and it looks like it did everything it was supposed to without an error.

Maybe I'll just have to make VCD's instead, but I really would rather not.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the AVI's can be played with QT Player, try dropping them into iMovie. Yes, this will take some time but, once there, you can simply send the project over to iDVD, click "burn", and get coffee...lots of coffee.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I think I know why the white screen seems to appear in the final - sort of. In the combined avi file, it's lopping off a LOT of video, so of course the final DVD file(s) will have the same problem. So, now I have to figure out why the joining process is doing this in order to correct it.

Also, your suggestion to try Quicktime was actually a good thing. Apparently I had a problem with the AC3 codec on my machine and was causing QT to quit (I was veiwing it in VLC) almost immediately. I downloaded a new one and that seems to be fine.

I may try your suggestion unless the above shed's some other light on what the cause is.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nobody has any other suggestions for joining the 2 AVI files I have? It looks like about 26 minutes into the second file it's just stopping. Have no idea why.

I tried using Toast to put the two files onto DVD, but my goodness the quality was absolutely HORRIBLE compared to what I get from ffmpegX. So, I may just have to try the other suggestion if I must have this on DVD....which I must since I'm still trying after many hours!

Anthony
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I finally got them joined together. Ended up using QT Pro to do that, which I didn't even know could! Go figure. Now to output the DVD......
    Quote Quote