VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought a 100pk of this media at Office Depot for $40. These were made in Japan and are the (MXLRG03)'s. But they have a red/pink color top. I keep getting burn errors when trying to burn at 8X. When I drop it down to 4X it burns fine with 0% scan errors.

I have the Samsung TS-H552B burner. Using DvD Shrink and Nero Express 6.6.0.6. Any ideas why I cant burn at 8X? The IDE's are set to Ultra DMA Mode. I upgraded my FW to TS06. I also uninstalled the drive and the secondary IDE and rebooted with no luck?

Thank you for any help you may have to throw my way!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You're not the only one having trouble with these discs. I have burnt several coasters with them in the last few days.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Wow, I have the exact same problem...i also have the samsung ts h552b..When burned at 8x i have 2 out of 3 coasters...when burned at 6x, i have no problems....weird....
    Quote Quote  
  4. Nice to know about these discs and that they might be a little "iffy". I was just going to pick some up today at Office Depot, today is the last day of the sale I believe.

I think I will stick with TY at Rima for a few cents more. (.43c)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by onewaypockets
    Nice to know about these discs and that they might be a little "iffy". I was just going to pick some up today at Office Depot, today is the last day of the sale I believe.

I think I will stick with TY at Rima for a few cents more. (.43c)
    Are they the 100 spindles on sale?
    I bought a 100 spindle and have about 85 discs left
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes, as you can see here. Scroll way down to the very bottom.

http://www.salescircular.com/ca/computer/dvdrwp.shtml
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I paid $39.99 (CAN) last week for them.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by richdvd
    Great price, not so good if they burn with errors or don't burn at rated speed.

I will stick with TY at Rima.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by richdvd

I heard the 100 spindle Maxells were actually Riteks, so I avoided the sale. Glad I stuck with the 25 packs that were on sale last week. So far the MXLRG03s have been fine for me. But if some of you guys are experiencing problems I'd use a lens cleaner on the burner. Then try again.(works for me) It's threads like these that make me overly cautious about new versions(gold topped in this case) of proven media.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I just got back from the Staples Maxell sale and, man alive, it's getting tough finding Made in Japan spindles. Of the 40+ that were on the shelves, I was able to find just 2 MIJ.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ROBERT BLACK

I heard the 100 spindle Maxells were actually Riteks, so I avoided the sale. Glad I stuck with the 25 packs that were on sale last week. So far the MXLRG03s have been fine for me. But if some of you guys are experiencing problems I'd use a lens cleaner on the burner. Then try again.(works for me) It's threads like these that make me overly cautious about new versions(gold topped in this case) of proven media.
    Are the Maxell 25pks at Future Shop MXLG02?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rkersh409
    These were made in Japan and are the (MXLRG03)'s. But they have a red/pink color top.
    That's weird. The 100pack MIJ 8X Maxell DVD-R i'm getting have a golden color on top. No problems here, however i noticed when i burn at 8X with nero or decrypter, the buffer goes down twice during the burning process to 10% and stays at 10% for about 7 seconds during which my pioneer 109 is inactive.
    At lower speeds, this does not happen.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    quote]

Are the Maxell 25pks at Future Shop MXLG02?

No. The gold topped ones are MXLG03. BUT you can still find 25 pc yellow topped Maxell/Taiyo Yudens. Going fast though.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    They had gold, red, yellow and even a green colored one all made in Japan at Office Depot. DvD Identifier showes that they are Hitachi Maxell Ltd MXL RG03. I got 10% error in surface scan when I burnt at 6X. 0% at 4X. So I have to wait a few more minutes for a good burn. Oh well such is life. LoL.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="ROBERT BLACK"]
    But if some of you guys are experiencing problems I'd use a lens cleaner on the burner.
    Bad Idea! Those cleaning discs will scratch the lense on DVD recorder drives. Most manufacturers even warn not to clean the lense in their drive manuals. If you really think the lense needs cleaning, try a quick puff of compressed air (the type used for electronics).
    Some people say dog is mans best friend. I say that man is dog's best slave... At least that is what my dogs think.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="Skith"]
    Originally Posted by ROBERT BLACK
    But if some of you guys are experiencing problems I'd use a lens cleaner on the burner.
    Bad Idea! Those cleaning discs will scratch the lense on DVD recorder drives. Most manufacturers even warn not to clean the lense in their drive manuals. If you really think the lense needs cleaning, try a quick puff of compressed air (the type used for electronics).
    You might wanna change that quote...because I never said that.
    I would NEVER use a lens cleaner!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm currently using only MIJ Maxell 8X, bought from Futureshop, and I've had no problems with two spindles thus far.

I've even managed to overspeed them to 12X, using stock FW (no strategy swapping), with more than acceptable results: 95 QS, 8 max PIF, etc. (See below.)

Maybe some of you just got a bad batch.

- Jie

(1)BenQ 1620 w/ B7u9 w/ MCSE speed patch
    (2)Philips 8631 @ BenQ1620 w/ B7U9 w/ MCSE speed patch

GET MCSE HERE

BenQ Ownz j00
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ Ma_Jie

Are they gold tops or yellow tops?

BTW...I just bought a BenQ 1620 drive (for $50 new) and this is what I am having trouble with. The drive doesn't want to recognize the odd disc in the spindle (using the latest firmware B7V9). I have never liked BenQ but bought the drive cause it was cheap and I wanted to do some testing with it.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't use V9 yet. It was just released a few days ago.

I burned that on U9, but I've never had a coaster using P9 or T9 either.

My suggestion: flash back to any of the three earlier ones. And then see if that works.

My Maxells are gold top.

- Jie
    (1)BenQ 1620 w/ B7u9 w/ MCSE speed patch
    (2)Philips 8631 @ BenQ1620 w/ B7U9 w/ MCSE speed patch

GET MCSE HERE

BenQ Ownz j00
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To richdvd: Too many problems with the latest BENQ firmware. As Ma_Jie suggested flash the drive with older firmware. You can flash the drive with firmware B7L9 then to B7P9 and so forth. Here's a link for the older firmware.
    http://dvdpro.club.st/firmware/BENQ_FW.htm

I purchased a 100 pack spindle of MAXELL's from Office Depot which were MADE IN JAPAN. I've had a few coasters with the 8x DVD-R discs. I wonder if Maxell is having quality control issues. I've never had coasters with their 4x speed media.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys.
    I have started a new thread here..

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=265709

Appreciated.
    Quote Quote