VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry I wasnt sure where to post this. Recently I have encountered a problem when trying to play dvds. Sometimes the dvd will freeze up. The dvd rom will make a noise like the dvd is skipping. If the dvd does not freeze it will have green lines across the screen. I have tried uninstalling then reinstalling my dvd drive. I use powerdvd 5.7 and have uninstalled and reinstalled that too. But I am still getting the same issue. Is this a common problem? More importantly what can I do?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try using Media Player Classic, as it has it's own codecs built-in for DVD playback. This will help isolate if it is the playback software at fault.

Do a read test of the disc using DVD Info Pro or Nero CD/DVD Speed to see if there are issues with the disc.

Also, try playing it in a standalone player.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was going to try Media Player Classic but now I am having a new problem. When I try to play the dvds that were freezing the drive attempts to read the dvd (at least it sounds like it) but nothing is showing up. When I look under My Computer it looks as if I have not put a dvd in at all. But the dvd that had the vertical green lines across the screen is playing with no problem. They do not work in the standalone player I have but I am sure that is because the player is extremely old.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried updating the driver but am getting a message stating the computer cannot find a better version that what I already have. Since I have not updated any drivers since getting this computer that doesnt seem rite. So how do I update the driver?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You need to identify what your card is (Nvidia/ATI etc) then download and install the latest drivers from their site.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Which drivers are you trying to update? The ones for the DVD drive are part of the OS and likely not your problem.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sorry. How do I identify what my card is?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think I found what kind of card it is. It is an ATI radeon express(?). I honestly do not think it is the driver either but thought I should try it. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have found the driver I use and found the latest drivers I am just not sure I am ready to take the next step and uninstall the driver I currently have. I just tried watching a dvd after running a defrag (I am at the throw everything at the wall and see what sticks phase) and I getting the same problem. The DVD will play fine for a few minuets then will just freeze. It sounds like it is skipping in the drive. When I move the mouse nothing happens (the computer seems to freeze up also) and when I press the eject button the disc wont come out for a few minuets. I use the dvd rom almost everyday but I have never had a problem until last week. I have not installed anything on the computer so I just dont know what the problem is. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have a DVD Burner as well ? If so, what happens if you play from that ? It could be that the DVD-Rom is dying.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have reset the BIOS and that seems to have worked. But I'll be back if it doesnt. Thanks for all the advice!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unless you have been fiddling in the bios recently, there should be no reason to do this.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote