VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Quantity vs Quality....

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Quality, but 2 disk Max for me.
    Quote Quote  
  2. i like quality, i use CVD put never put more than 1 hr onto a 80 min disk, so usually 2 discs, accasionally 3! I also have audio at 48Khz so, if i ever get a dvd burner they will be nice & easy to convert!
    1)Why Not Overclock a little?! speed 4 free!!!!
    2) If your question has anything to do with copying PS2/PC/XBox games, find a more appropriate website
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i could vote for all. sometimes i fit a movie on one disc, sometimes i'd rather have a couple of discs (especially after just finding out my dvd player can play 720x480 8000 kb/s), and sometimes i get horrible results.
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I go for one disk, but if the running time is somewhere over about say 2 and ahalf to 2hours and 45min I will put on 2 disk. Anything over about 2 hours and 15 min gets bumped up to a bunch of passes to ensure it doesn't look like crud.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Prefer 1 disk, cheapest disk I can find too!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Normaly I go for quality as I am not in the habit of backups but instead record masters for posterity. Sometimes its handy to have both a DVD and VCD of the same programme. Most improtant thing is that it MUST be compatible with existing standards - this is the main reason why I wouldn't go for the KVCD standard, even though it does give more bang for the buck.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by energy80s
    Normally I go for quality as I am not in the habit of backups but instead record masters for posterity. Sometimes its handy to have both a DVD and VCD of the same programme. Most important thing is that it MUST be compatible with existing standards - this is the main reason why I wouldn't go for the KVCD standard, even though it does give more bang for the buck.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by energy80s
    Most improtant thing is that it MUST be compatible with existing standards - this is the main reason why I wouldn't go for the KVCD standard, even though it does give more bang for the buck.
    Maybe you should try again the latest developments
    There are workarounds now to allow playback on almost any player
    As far as quality is concerned, I think we've pretty much blown everything in existance away with the latest "Dynamic Adaptive Filtering ( http://www.kvcd.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3999 ), because now you get this: http://www.kvcd.net/704x480-showoff.mpg on one CD, and I think that speaks for itself
    So my choice for this poll is "I Fit My Movies On 1 Disk", but with the quality of the above sample

-kwag
    KVCD.Net - Advanced Video Conversion
    http://www.kvcd.net
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by kwag
    Originally Posted by energy80s
    Most improtant thing is that it MUST be compatible with existing standards - this is the main reason why I wouldn't go for the KVCD standard, even though it does give more bang for the buck.
    Yes, workarounds for SPECIFIC players but not one workaround for the majority which was energy80's point...

As far as quality is concerned, I think we've pretty much blown everything in existance away with the latest "Dynamic Adaptive Filtering ( http://www.kvcd.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3999 ), because now you get this: http://www.kvcd.net/704x480-showoff.mpg on one CD, and I think that speaks for itself
    Prefiltering is a good idea but is not a concept or method specific to your "KVCD" templates. According to the posts in that thread, there are still many problems with that filter. As I'm sure you know temporal smoothing can be a two-edged sword and not everyone is going to re-encode endlessly just to find the best settings.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by vitualis
    Yes, workarounds for SPECIFIC players but not one workaround for the majority which was energy80's point...
    Well, sorry but I don't agree, as it's the other way around The fact is that the majority of the players work, and we find the numbers keep growing every day. Most new players play almost any kind of XVCDs, including KVCDs.

Prefiltering is a good idea but is not a concept or method specific to your "KVCD" templates. According to the posts in that thread, there are still many problems with that filter. As I'm sure you know temporal smoothing can be a two-edged sword and not everyone is going to re-encode endlessly just to find the best settings.
    You obviously didn't read that thread, not to mention you didn't even see the sample! We're not talking about temporal smoothing. We're talking about dynamic adaptive filtering, which of course can be applied to any encoder (hardware/software) and not only KVCD encodes. This is not related to temporal smoothing. It's related to psycho-visual effects by bluring luma channels which the eye can't see, and this is the way we achieve higher compression. The result is much higher quality, because we can increase the CQ way above the values that were previously used. The concept I'm currently talking about in the thread, is to apply filters on selected areas (quadrants) of the picture, by slicing the picture into a matrix of blocks, and filtering each area depending on motion/darkness/luma, etc. This has NOT been done in the mpeg encoding before, as all pre-filtering has always been static, but not dynamic. Unless you're using 1 million dollar Minerva machines, and I still doubt it does anything like this

-kwag
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Dude, man. That sample looked very sweet. So you're able to fit an entire movie on a CD-R, with those dimentions, and looking like that? Any Mac templates or programs on the way??? *holds breath*
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by tgpo
    So you're able to fit an entire movie on a CD-R, with those dimentions, and looking like that?
    Almost every time
    Any Mac templates or programs on the way??? *holds breath*
    Ok, you can start to breathe now
    I haven't played too much with ffmpeg (ffmpegX), but it would be a matter of patching (recompiling ffmpeg?) the KVCD qualtization matrix into ffmpeg, and the longer GOP that we use. However, don't expect that quality with ffmpeg, mainly because there's no AviSynth for Mac (yet!), so all the filtering techniques we use can't be applied. Hopefully all of that will change in the near future, with more support programs for Mac OS X (which I love, btw ).

-kwag
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by kwag
    Originally Posted by vitualis
    Well, sorry but I don't agree, as it's the other way around The fact is that the majority of the players work, and we find the numbers keep growing every day. Most new players play almost any kind of XVCDs, including KVCDs.
    As before. You can find workarounds for almost every player but not one workaround for all. There is and remains no guarantee that any one particular type of XVCD will work on any particular player. This was energy80's point and one you continue to obviously miss.

There are reasons why format standards exist...

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by vitualis
    There are reasons why format standards exist...
    Sure , and that's exactly the reason we've been sticked with Micro$oft's crap for so long, and live in a computing hell of legacy applications and instability.
    Innovations are the name of the game, and standards are for committees

-kwag
    Quote Quote  
  15. The point is to see the usefulness of both.

Standards are what allow every DVD you buy play on your DVD player. Innovation is all well and good but having something that is guaranteed to WORK is sometimes more important. This was energy80s point of view and a very valid one.

Your post of "Maybe you should try again the latest developments
    " is inappropriate in this context and completely irrelevant.

I take it from your last facaetious post that rational debate is no longer possible in this thread...

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    Quote Quote  
  16. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Soul sucking suburbia! But a different part since I last logged on.
    Search Comp PM
    well hey even "regular"/limited XVCDs (2x or even 1x max vbr or nonstandard bitrate) dont work on all DVD players, and some don't even accept VCDs, SVCDs, CVDs... why don'tcha go bitch about that

(still waiting to find some way to get anything other than 352 x low MPG1 and 480 x high MPG2 to work on mine, oh well)

Personal: "I make my movies fit 1 disc"... but they're quality 1-discs, made with love Don't just set aside 224kbits for audio whipped together without any extra filtering in TMPGEnc and divide the rest of the leftover MBs into the film length for the automatic 2-pass to chew over.
    Mind you that does mean my latest DVD rip has been sitting on my HD for a good couple of weeks whilst trying to iron out the final problems/do tweaks, despite the early good-enough prototypes already on CD and looking quite dusty.... (mainly just new codec tests & things really, but there is a maddening distortion that comes when trying to remove the obscene level of noise out of the chinese soundtrack.. suppose there's just not enough signal left over for it to work right)

Though I haven't yet tested that video clip, just hearing about this and reading some of the comments / that other thread made me think both "cool!" and "no f**in way". This is a sort of thing that has been waiting a long time, even if I couldn't think of a name for it before. Those noisy backgrounds needed a nice even time-smooth, but whenever that was applied, the motion started to look ugly, so the "flickery" backgrounds and their wasted bandwidth just had to be lumped in the name of clean motion. Rock and roll.
    Now, please, we just need some clever and benevolent programmer to work this into a VDub (+frameservable) plug-in to avoid all that heavy heavy looking AviSynth stuff!
    -= She sez there's ants in the carpet, dirty little monsters! =-
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote  
  17. no more than 4. my svcd of the lord of the rings is maximum. i just bought a 10 pack so i had enough for both 'Rings movies and empire strikes back
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mysticgohan17
    no more than 4. my svcd of the lord of the rings is maximum. i just bought a 10 pack so i had enough for both 'Rings movies and empire strikes back
    both 'Rings movies?
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Conquest10
    Originally Posted by mysticgohan17
    no more than 4. my svcd of the lord of the rings is maximum. i just bought a 10 pack so i had enough for both 'Rings movies and empire strikes back
    both 'Rings movies?
    ... and empire strikes back!!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With the advent of DVD2ONE for OSX now, its got to be nothing but DVD for me! Sure, 3 disk SVCD look nice, but the DVDr looks better and you get all the menu's and chapters!
    Quote Quote