VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Are you working out regularly?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    So do you have a routine? Do you run? Do you walk? Do you lift weights?

Are you a weekend warrior that does nothing during the week but does too much on the weekend then crash???

I'm trying to build up a little bit. For the last year or so I walk 20 to 30 minutes at lunch during work every weekday. But I thought I'd try a little more. Now I've got an old tv and a spare dvd player hooked up downstairs and I'm going to start using some of the excersise equipment thats laying around. I did 10 minutes yesterday and I'm shooting for the same today. I figure over the next two or three weeks I'll work up to at least 20 minutes and maybe push to 30 if I'm really dedicated.....
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does brain working out count?
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety. (Benjamin Franklin).
    Quote Quote  
  3. I play football 3-4 times a week and go to the gym 2-3 times a week.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I run 3 days a week and weight train 6 days a week. Mostly to keep in shape and to be able to eat what I want!
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I lift 12 ounce weights on the weekends. Make sure to get a spotter after a few hours as they have a tendency to slip out of your hands. Don't want to waste any weight....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, but with the problems I have with my computer lately, I would like to start a computer tossing exercise from a very high cliff or building.

or

Take some batting practice with my computer as the ball.
    Some days it seems as if all I'm doing is rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic
    Quote Quote  
  7. Here is my program. I lift weights at the gym 2-4 days a week depending on how busy home life is. Lately because of the kids' early bedtimes, I have only been able to workout twice a week.

Monday: back/biceps
    Tuesday: legs
    Thursday: chest/triceps
    Friday: shoulders

I work in a (3-5 mile) run about three times a week at Kennesaw Mountain. I look more forward to the runs than I do the weights. But soon it will get dark too early to run and I will be spending more time at the gym.

I was never the type that could stick to a program until now. I believe this works because I am working out close to my office. So I can go work out immediately after work to avoid rush hour traffic. I am more motivated than ever to go to the gym.

And the running happened by accident. I found myself hating the cardio machines at the gym. You just run and run (or ride and ride) and get nowhere. Sure it's air-conditioned, but you want to get off the machine the whole time. So I started going to the mountain to hike. I found that I got a more intense cardio workout and it was more enjoyable too. And if you hike 15 minutes out, you have to hike 15 minutes back. You can't just quit. And then the running came as I got stronger at hiking. I wanted more of a challenge.

And I am in better shape now than I have been in since high school.

One time a few years ago I was hiking and I saw these two 70ish cotton-tops hiking up a very steep part of the trail (so steep that a rope was provided). And they motored on passed me and continued up the trail out of site (I was going down that part). I was so impressed. I want to be like that when I am that old.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, I don't. Some of my friends that do seem to be obsessed with it. Always talking about what routines they do on which days and which is the best. Then call off plans because they have to go out and work out. They remind me of that Family Guy character: "I wasn't nervous. When I get nervous I work out and I wasn't working out."
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Whenever I'm asked this question I always reply with "Do I look like I work out?"
    If they say no, then I say "There's your answer."
    If they say yes, then I say "Then why would I bother."

Of course that doesn't really work here, since you can't see me.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, boy, does this topic hit MY hot button.

I've had problems with my legs since cancer surgery on one of them when I was younger. Couple that with the fact that I inherited my maternal grandmother's disposition toward low blood sugar and low blood pressure. She and I are the only two people in my family (that I know of) with low blood sugar and low blood pressure.

Recently, my leg problems came back and I went and saw my doctor. He asked me if I exercised regularly. I told him my job was enough exercise. Then he added (as other doctors have), "No, I mean do you exercise regularly at home?"

Jeez Louise! I spend 8 hours every day, on my feet, walking on a concrete floor - and tossing 50-pound products down a conveyer belt pretty much the whole time. By the time I get home, I'm ready to collapse.

I finally got that through to the doctor ... that physical labor is really exercise in disguise. BTW, the doctor told me to stay home from work for a week (grin) and keep "off my feet." This was last week. Fortunately, I work for an employer that lets workers "bank" sick-leave. So, I'll get a full paycheck.

I didn't say it but was tempted to ask the doctor, "By staying off my feet, do you mean I can't exercise either?"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm in perfect health without workouts since I started dipping in my BACTA TANK once a month

Ummm ...

I assume that this is some vague reference to STAR WARS but I've seen these movies like many times over since I was 5 and saw STAR WARS EPISODE IV in the theatres (back around 1977 or so) ... yet I have no f'ing clue what a BACTA TANK is ...

I am guessing it is the "water tank" thing they stick Luke in for healing purposes in THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK but I dunno ... I swear I never heard that term ... I'm pretty sure it's never said in the movies.

Anyways I never work out and I eat too much and I am as big as a house. When I was a kid I played hard (for the most part) but still ate too much and was almost as big as a house. I think it's in my genes. Or maybe I do just eat too much. But if I was a fat kid while being very active then there is no way I can loose weight as an adult that barely has any energy after a day at the office sitting in front of a computer LOL

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I walk regularly and do excercises for my back. If I didn't do them, I'd be unable to walk without extreme pain. That happened after I ruptured the 2nd disc in my lower lumbar. And yet, with all this talk of excercise and health you have to wonder sometimes. I have lost 2 Olympic level athlete friends in the past few years to brain tumours and have relatives that never excercised a day in their lives live well into their 90s, so it seems to be a toss-up with a lot of factors coming into play, mostly stuff you can't control....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    2 to 3 times but not consistent.
    http://www.absolutevisionvideo.com

BLUE SKY, BLACK DEATH!!
    Quote Quote  
  14. The root of all evil träskmannen's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The only sport i do is ball games - pinball, roulette and billiards...
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oldfart13
    I have lost 2 Olympic level athlete friends in the past few years to brain tumours and have relatives that never excercised a day in their lives live well into their 90s, so it seems to be a toss-up with a lot of factors coming into play, mostly stuff you can't control....
    Exactly. Lewis Black talks a lot about this. As much as we study health and are obsessed with it, we know nothing about it.
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fulcilives
    I am guessing it is the "water tank" thing they stick Luke in for healing purposes in THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK but I dunno ... I swear I never heard that term ... I'm pretty sure it's never said in the movies.
    Yep. Thats not water its BACTA.

You've never played a Star Wars video game or read a Star Wars book?????

And yes its never mentioned by name in the movie. But I'm sure its written in the script as BACTA.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    Yep. Thats not water its BACTA.

You've never played a Star Wars video game or read a Star Wars book?????

And yes its never mentioned by name in the movie. But I'm sure its written in the script as BACTA.
    Don't take this the wrong way yoda because you are A-OK in my book ... but ... I really hate it when I know something very well but someone knows it even better because they are the bigger dork i.e., no I've never read a STAR WARS book nor played a STAR WARS video game LOL

My point being if it ain't in the movie (or movies) then it really doesn't exist ... unless you are a big enough dork to have played the video games or read the books etc. :P

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My point being if it ain't in the movie (or movies) then it really doesn't exist .
    Actually according to Lucas I believe he acknowledges off screen material as being part of the official Star Wars Lore.

And by the way:

I know more than you do :P

(at least about Star Wars )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    My point being if it ain't in the movie (or movies) then it really doesn't exist .
    Actually according to Lucas I believe he acknowledges off screen material as being part of the official Star Wars Lore.

And by the way:

I know more than you do :P

(at least about Star Wars )
    DORK

Quote Quote  
  20. I would like to have the willpower to keep a routine but seem to slack a little and too much sitting at the PC IS bad for my health eg eyes,stress,headaches ect...

I do walking as I am too unfit to jog/run further than 400 meters.I smoke a lot.

I sometimes do pressups,situps,leg thrusts,squats and curls with dumbells to stretch my muscles and relieve anxiety/tension.
    ~Luke~
    Quote Quote  
  21. I use a Healthrider every day during the winter, not in summer. It's too hot in summer to think about exercise.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had some California spinach and I've been doing a lot of walking lately.....
    Quote Quote  
  23. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Weekend warrior. But only stuff that needs doing. Lawn work, repairs, etc.

Otherwise I "work" my ass "out" of bed in the morning, and work it back in at night
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BUMP!

Hey guess what I've actually been sticking to a diet and a workout and lost quite a bit of weight. I'm not doing anything extroadinary and no special diets - just not eating the heavy stuff. It's amazing that I have this much will power. I'm almost fitting into a size smaller pair of pants.... That's pretty good for a little over two months of working out three-four times a week

I tell you it's not easy though......
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am in shape. Round!

The perfect choice for the poster child for heart attack. Three packs a day, high stress job, over weight and family histor..........
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?
    Quote Quote