VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have an "early 2009" MBP 15" with a Matsushita UJ-867 drive. for dual layer dvd burning, i've so far been using verbatim 2.4x dvd+r dl but it seems like the 2.4x disks have been discontinued and most suppliers no longer stock them.

is it possible for me to use a faster rated disk with this drive ?

thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    These burn 2.4x just fine: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0014DCQG8?ie=UTF8&tag=thdifa-21&linkCode=as2&camp=...SIN=B0014DCQG8
    Verbatim 8x @ 2.4x
    I suggest 4x on all DVD+R DL discs.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks very much lordsmurf.

if i'm using toast to burn an 8x DL disc in my UJ-867, do i need to specific a burn speed of 2x or can i leave the write speed setting on "best speed" ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. (Just a tip)
    with DVD-video, the slowest burn is always more compatible with DVD readers.

bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by webstar
    thanks very much lordsmurf.

if i'm using toast to burn an 8x DL disc in my UJ-867, do i need to specific a burn speed of 2x or can i leave the write speed setting on "best speed" ?
    Yes, you need to specify the slower speed. However, depending on the specs of your optical drive, "best" may actually be "2.4x" if you examine the popup menu.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    2.4x Verbatim DL discs are available. In the UK, I have no idea. But in the USA we can get the DataLifePlus series which are 2.4x and made in Singapore only. In the USA, Verbatim DVD+R DL discs slower than 8x-10x may be made in India with the exception of the previously mentioned DataLifePlus discs. Verbatim's 8x-10x discs here in the USA seem to only be made in Singapore. Note that the DataLifePlus DL discs are inkjet printable and expensive. The standard silver 2.4x DL discs are probably only made in India these days. Many here distrust the made in India discs, so you'll save money on them, but I can't guarantee that they are as good as the made in Singapore silver discs which are rated at higher speeds and cost more.

Whatever discs you get, I recommend 2.4x burning as I've done a few tests and the slower burns seem more accurate according to Nero's disc scanning utility. I'm not a person who scans discs much, but I did it a few times to compare burns at different speeds.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use the 2.4x +R DL discs (only Verbatim silvers) and never have problems that I can attribute to the discs. When I did see problems, we tracked it down to the drive and Apple replaced it under AppleCare. No problems with the discs, however.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Herve
    (Just a tip)
    with DVD-video, the slowest burn is always more compatible with DVD readers.
    bye
    Sorry, but that's not true at all.
    See "Burn Speeds" here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/media/dvd-media-concepts.htm
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nice reference to digitalfaq.com. Thanks.
    Quote Quote