VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I've been having trouble converting some DVDs to DivX AVIs. I converted one recently, but no matter how hard I try I cannot get the audio in sync.

I realise that audio sync issues are a bit of a sore spot with DivX vids, but this one's particularly weird.

If I play the video in Media Player Classic or DivX's own player then the sync issue is hardly noticeable. But if I play the same file in Windows Media Player 10, then the sound is very noticeably out of sync (by around half a second). Why would these players exhibit different behaviour? Do they use different codecs? The DivX watermark shows up in all players, so I assume the same codec is being used.

I realise that WIndows Media Player has its shortcomings, but I need it to work properly because I use Media Center Edition for vids.

This is a new DVD and I used DVD Decrypter to extract the VOBs.

Does anyone know why this may be happening?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    try play with vlc media player, it has it own codecs. do you get same problem?
    how do you convert to divx after using dvd decrypter? what tool?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    how do you convert to divx after using dvd decrypter? what tool?
    I used Dr Divx 2.0.

After a bit of experimentation, I have found the problem is due to converting the audio track to MP3 instead of preserving the AC3 track. If I preserve the original AC3 track, the sound remains in sync. However, if I set Dr Divx to convert the audio to MP3, the sound goes way out of sync.

Oddly enough, if I open the MP3 track in a sound editor (like Goldwave) the length of the MP3 track is identical to the video, yet it gets progressively more out of sync by the end of the episode - up to 3 seconds out! But it's the video that falls behind the audio, and yet there are no noticeable dropouts in either the audio or the video.

Huh?!?

Quote Quote