VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    That's the question.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Some older crt had video outputs but i have never seen any hdtv with video outputs most likely for the reason of copying video.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why would you ever need an output from the TV? A TV is a destination device, not a source.

But no, not that I've ever seen. Even audio outputs (which actually have a real use), often don't function as you want or expect (again for copy protection reasons).
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My LG Smart HDTV has a video output presumably so you can record what the inbuilt DVB HD tuner is receiving but it also outputs whatever is being displayed on the screen no matter what input the source is on. So watching something via one of the HDMI inputs will be output to a recorder although if watching something from the net using the Smart function, isn't.

However, I'm in the UK and am aware that the anti-copying rules in the US are far more draconian than over here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Richard_G View Post
    My LG Smart HDTV has a video output presumably so you can record what the inbuilt DVB HD tuner is receiving but it also outputs whatever is being displayed on the screen no matter what input the source is on. So watching something via one of the HDMI inputs will be output to a recorder although if watching something from the net using the Smart function, isn't.

However, I'm in the UK and am aware that the anti-copying rules in the US are far more draconian than over here.
    Some N. American members here have read some posts here about TVs sold in the EU that can output an encrypted H.264 or MPEG-2 transport stream to an attached USB storage device for later viewing. However that is probably not what wulf109 is asking about. He most likely means an HDTV with an outgoing analog or HDMI video connection.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is a guy in an outer Sydney suburb who modes certain TV's to provide a recording HDMi out... but most Samsung TV's sold have a USB output for recording to hdd but of course it is encrypted which is silly considering the 3 best selling PVR's don't encrypt not to mention the myriad of PC TV/Digital radio cards available
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    However that is probably not what wulf109 is asking about. He most likely means an HDTV with an outgoing analog or HDMI video connection.
    My LG gives analogue video output which can be fed straight into a Hard Drive recorder or (if it's something I want to keep) into a DVD recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Richard_G View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    However that is probably not what wulf109 is asking about. He most likely means an HDTV with an outgoing analog or HDMI video connection.
    My LG gives analogue video output which can be fed straight into a Hard Drive recorder or (if it's something I want to keep) into a DVD recorder.
    A few TVs with a "monitor out" composite video connection were sold here years ago, but nothing recent has that feature. In in N. America, there is virtually no demand for that or a USB port with an OTA recording feature. The number of people here who primarily watch OTA TV is small compared to those who use a paid TV service, and most want to use a PVR to time-shift rather than to record something as they are watching it.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd Dec 2014 at 11:58. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!