VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi!

I have this avi (ntsc 640*480) and i want to make a dvd with the resolution (720*480) wich i've learned is the correct dvd resolution. The thing is i don't want any black bars from letterboxing. Since the correct dvd resolution seems to be impossible to achieve without stretching the image out of proportions , i'm kind of stuck here.

So, to simplify this.
    I want to make a 16:9 dvd from a 4:3 avi without black bars.

Can anyone help me with this please?

Thanks in advance....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually you probably want 720x576. Isn't Sweden in PAL country? You'll probably also need to change the frame rate to 25fps.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by yoda313
    Actually you probably want 720x576. Isn't Sweden in PAL country? You'll probably also need to change the frame rate to 25fps.
    My equipment can handle both PAL and NTSC, it doesn't really matter.

Thanks for your reply though!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A DVD doesn't display like an avi, it uses non-square pixels so a NTSC DVD can be either 16x9 or 4x3 depending on how the aspect flag is set. Converting your avi will not result in any black bars.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by live4ever
    A DVD doesn't display like an avi, it uses non-square pixels so a NTSC DVD can be either 16x9 or 4x3 depending on how the aspect flag is set. Converting your avi will not result in any black bars.
    So if i use the dvd 16:9 preset under the "video tab" i won't get any black bars and the image will fill up my widescreen tv??
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by live4ever
    So if i use the dvd 16:9 preset under the "video" tab, it will fill up my widescreen tv without any black bars?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes but the video will be stretched - or you could crop the top and bottom by 60 pixels each but you'd lose the top and bottom of the image.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by live4ever
    Yes but the video will be stretched - or you could crop the top and bottom by 60 pixels each but you'd lose the top and bottom of the image.
    Ok, so all i have to do is this:

1. load avi (source) into ffmpegx
    2. select dvd ffmpg as target
    3. select dvd 16:9 under video tab
    4. crop 60 pixels from top and 60 pixels from bottom
    5. encode

Is this correct??
    Quote Quote  
  9. Or you could create a 4:3 DVD and then let your DVD player handle the dislay size. I think most decent players will do letter/pillarboxing, stretching, and cropping.
    Quote Quote