VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I am a wedding photographer. I plan to archive my photos on Blu-ray disks. Which one is the best Blu-ray disk in the market? I need one which last for 10-15 years...
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    If cost is not a concern, use the Japanese made BD-R disks. Sony and Panasonic are two of the brands to look for . You can find them through Amazon, among other places.

I use Verbatim made in Taiwan personally. And at this point, no one can really give assurances on which disks will absolutely last that long.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Who knows? No one, for sure.

What Kerry56 says is a reasonable best guess and likely enough, though.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hasselblad View Post
    How about TDK?
    TDK makes garbage DVDs....so I'd say no.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Some TDK disks were made in Japan. I have some 25gb BD-RE disks that are marked Made in Japan on the packaging. But most of the TDK disks you see now are made in Taiwan by Ritek. This is why I specifically didn't mention TDK earlier, since they are not as predictable in origin. Look at the entries for media at Nikoneko Ya, and you'll see confirmation for this.
    http://nikonekoya.com/a-v-electronics/recording/blu-ray/25gb-bd-r.html Nikoneko Ya is one of the only places I know of that will list country of origin for BD-R media.

I was surprised to see that many of the Sony disks are now coming from Taiwan (according to the Nikoneko Ya site). That has changed since the last time I checked. It looks like the only 25gb BD-R disks under the Sony brand that are still being manufactured in Japan are the 6x variety. I didn't go through and check the 50gb or BD-RE disks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The Verbatims are excellent, I've burned about 100 of them with no problems whatsoever...and they're reasonably priced:

http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=96769
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bbanderic View Post
    The Verbatims are excellent, I've burned about 100 of them with no problems whatsoever...and they're reasonably priced:

http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=96769
    Sounds like a good recommendation, and I like Rima as a choice of vendor.
    Too bad TY does not do BD . . . .
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Too bad TY does not do BD . . . .
    They actually do, but...
    They only sell them in Japan and as far as I can tell they only make the LTH type of discs.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I ended up getting the Verbatim. They are great!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mitsubishi + Panasonic are better.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  11. Lesson learned the hard way (a/k/a "School of Hard Knocks"):

NEVER have just one copy of anything that is important to you. If you're archiving to CD/DVD/BD, consider making more than one copy AND using different brands among those recommended here. You might also consider archiving them other than to just BD; e.g., DVD copies, too.

Of course, you will need to remain vigilant that your copies are still readable (and that you have the equipment to do so, given the speed with which technology advances) and consider making newer copies, lest the older ones turn out to be less reliable over time than we think they are, or will be.

Since your original post was over two years ago, have you been using the Verbatims all that time with good results, or was there a period of trial-and-error during which you found some brands to avoid?
    Quote Quote  
  12. You are assuming that there are going to be BR players in fifteen years? Do you know the odds of that?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Acu-Disc are really good and come with a satisfaction guarantee. They are also manufactured using High to Low reflectivity which makes them very compatible across different players.

Not sure how long they will last but I would think no different to most other brands.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy View Post
    You are assuming that there are going to be BR players in fifteen years? Do you know the odds of that?
    That's exactly what I was thinking. I don't think there's going to be any physical media 10 years from now.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    You are assuming that there are going to be BR players in fifteen years? Do you know the odds of that?
    That's exactly what I was thinking. I don't think there's going to be any physical media 10 years from now.
    You are responding to a post from handyguy that is a year old.

Nothing lasts forever, but in the meantime, some customers would want their wedding videos given to them on optical media, and some videographers might want to use optical media as their backup for hard-drive storage.

[Edit] Verbatim BD-R burns great, but probably won't last as long as the Panasonic BD-R recommended by Kerry56 and [_chef_]. Panasonic BD-R media made it through a rigorous French test for BD-R longevity that Verbatim BD-R failed.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th Jan 2014 at 13:59.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You'll be proven wrong. Wait and see.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    That would make my wife very happy.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    You are responding to a post from handyguy that is a year old.
    And it looked like handyguy was responding to the OP which is a 3 year old thread at the time he posted, LOL!!!

Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    You'll be proven wrong. Wait and see.
    Yep, there will be physical media 10 years from now, it probably won't be optical disc based, but it will be physical piece of something.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ...and the post that woke up this thread again was likely made by a spammer working for a website selling the off-brand media being praised. I can hardly wait for someone like [_chef_] to show up and tell us what utter crap Acu-Disc really is.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ...and the post that woke up this thread again was likely made by a spammer working for a website selling the off-brand media being praised. I can hardly wait for someone like [_chef_] to show up and tell us what utter crap Acu-Disc really is.
    Thanks usually_quiet!

I just like to quote something, please judge for yourself:

ACU-DISC manufacture affordable blank DVDRs without sacrificing quality. This white inkjet printable disc is outstanding value for money.

Key Features:

Speed: 1 - 16x
    Model No: 5060158312504
    Surface: White inkjet printable, for all inkjet printers.
    Capacity: 4.7 GB
    Dye: Purple, azo based
    Hub Printable: Yes, full surface
    Packaging: shrink wrap
    Carton Quantity:100
    Box Quantity: 600
    Ugh, it says purple. That's a plus, my avatar will follow everywhere for that.
    Last edited by [_chef_]; 9th Feb 2014 at 05:23. Reason: oops
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by [_chef_] View Post
    Thanks usually_quiet!

I just like to quote something, please judge for yourself:

ACU-DISC manufacture affordable blank DVDRs without sacrificing quality. This white inkjet printable disc is outstanding value for money.

Key Features:

Speed: 1 - 16x
    Model No: 5060158312504
    Surface: White inkjet printable, for all inkjet printers.
    Capacity: 4.7 GB
    Dye: Purple, azo based
    Hub Printable: Yes, full surface
    Packaging: shrink wrap
    Carton Quantity:100
    Box Quantity: 600
    Ugh, it says purple. That's a plus, my avatar will follow everywhere for that.
    Interesting forum this, I can see why its not very popular. Like a lot of forums these days a few keyboard warriors talking the p**s out of newbies. I am just try to open conversation here and share knowledge which I have a lot off
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by OpticalDiscPert View Post
    Interesting forum this, I can see why its not very popular. Like a lot of forums these days a few keyboard warriors talking the p**s out of newbies. I am just try to open conversation here and share knowledge which I have a lot off
    Since you don't like what this forum had to say, try your luck club.myce.com, which is a forum for those interested in optical media and optical drives. They have an international membership and several members there actively collect and test as many different brands of optical discs as they can find.

When I looked up Acu-Disc at club.myce.com (correction: doom9), I found a post which indicated their DVD media was made by Ritek. If that is the case with the BD-R media you are recommending, it isn't good media for long-term storage. Some have reported their Ritek BD-R media has become unreadable after a couple of years.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 10th Feb 2014 at 14:03. Reason: correction
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since you don't like what this forum had to say, try your luck club.myce.com, which is a forum for those interested in optical media and optical drives. They have an international membership and several members there actively collect and test as many different brands of optical discs as they can find.

When I looked up Acu-Disc at club.myce.com (correction: doom9), I found a post which indicated their DVD media was made by Ritek. If that is the case with the BD-R media you are recommending, it isn't good media for long-term storage. Some have reported their Ritek BD-R media has become unreadable after a couple of years.
    Acu-Disk are not manufactured by Riteck they are a independent manufacturer and have their own facrory so club.myce.com are incorrect.

If you were to try them then you would see what a great disc they are.

I have been involved in the optical media industry since 1993 and have used and tested all media by all manufacturers. I also have been involved in the development of some major brands in their development of optical media. I am an expert in optical media and by your disappointing comments you obviously are not!

I am always open for genuine comments and will be posting on this forum in the future to offer my expertise to those that appreciate genuine help.

You lot are just TOLLS!
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM

Acu-Disk are not manufactured by Riteck they are a independent manufacturer and have their own facrory so club.myce.com are incorrect.

I have been involved in the optical media industry since 1993 and have used and tested all media by all manufacturers. I also have been involved in the development of some major brands in their development of optical media. I am an expert in optical media and by your disappointing comments you obviously are not!

I am always open for genuine comments and will be posting on this forum in the future to offer my expertise to those that appreciate genuine help.

You lot are just TOLLS!
    Tolls? I suppose that puts us slightly higher on the insult list than a shill.

But seriously, Acu-disc is rather obscure at this point. There is no mention of the brand at Myce.com. I'll have to remember to ask pepst about them, as he is the most knowledgeable on blank media in that forum.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM

You lot are just TOLLS!
    Clubmyce/CDFreaks, has been a pretty well-known as a source of unbiased information from actual users of optical media for a long time. I'd trust them over an "industry expert" with a vested interest in a particular product any day. If pepst knows of it and says it is anything more than absolute rubbish, I would be surprised.

Frankly, it is looking more and more like you really are shilling for either one of the few places selling this brand or the apparently obscure maker of said discs. Since this brand is only sold by a few online retailers in the UK as far as I can tell, I won't be trying it. I can buy off-brand crap-quality media much closer to home if I want it for some reason.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM

You lot are just TOLLS!
    Clubmyce/CDFreaks, has been a pretty well-known as a source of unbiased information from actual users of optical media for a long time. I'd trust them over an "industry expert" with a vested interest in a particular product any day. If pepst knows of it and says it is anything more than absolute rubbish, I would be surprised.

Frankly, it is looking more and more like you really are shilling for either one of the few places selling this brand or the apparently obscure maker of said discs. Since this brand is only sold by a few online retailers in the UK as far as I can tell, I won't be trying it. I can buy off-brand crap-quality media much closer to home if I want it for some reason.
    "I can buy off-brand crap-quality" Comments like this just show you up as stupid TBH. With out trying or knowledge of a product you slag it off. The internet is a wonderful thing but frankly people like you lot it can do without. As to the comment you would trust a website over an expert again shows you lack any real credibility.

As I stated I am involved in the development of optical media and do now what I am talking about.

I am not going to bother to answer any more of your stupid replies as you are clearly just want to slag anything off you don't know about or understand. But I will be helping others on this site if they need my expert advise on optical media.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by OpticalDiscPert View Post
    "I can buy off-brand crap-quality" Comments like this just show you up as stupid TBH. With out trying or knowledge of a product you slag it off. The internet is a wonderful thing but frankly people like you lot it can do without. As to the comment you would trust a website over an expert again shows you lack any real credibility.

As I stated I am involved in the development of optical media and do now what I am talking about.

I am not going to bother to answer any more of your stupid replies as you are clearly just want to slag anything off you don't know about or understand. But I will be helping others on this site if they need my expert advise on optical media.
    Problem is we have no idea who you claim to be.
    This thread is about the very best.
    We have serious doubts whatever this brand you are pushing...that it is even a good disc.
    There are a lot of crap discs out there that can burn ok then in months, year or a couple of years will start to read
    errors, this applies especially to Blu-ray discs.

I thought usually_quiet was straight with his reply.
    At this point, the burden is on you to prove your disc is the superior disc.
    Quote Quote