VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I recently noticed that a number of Verbatim #47512 1TB USB 2.0 3.5" desktop external hard drives that I use, occasionally disconnect under Windows 7 64-bit when performing reading or writing operations. When this happen the hard drives remain visible to Windows, but their contents are not visible. I originally suspected the drives as failing, but these work fine when connected directly to the motherboard. I now suspect that the problem is related to CrystalDiskInfo. I am using the latest (8.5.2) 64-bit version and I found that if CrystalDiskInfo is not loaded, the problem does not seem to happen. Has anyone come across to a similar problem?
    Last edited by kyrcy; 7th Jun 2020 at 07:16.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    More likely that the cheap USB interface and/or the cheap power supply is failing.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    More likely that the cheap USB interface and/or the cheap power supply is failing.
    On more than five different external hard drives?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Possible since USB 2.0 drives must be fairly old.

Also possible that the USB port/ports are going bad. When testing different USB ports, don't use ports next to each other as they be bridged internally causing the same issue.

However since you say it doesn't happen when Crystaldiskinfo isn't running, it may well be the program that's the issue. The solution may be not to run the program, which should have to be kept active unless you want to check the disk, which should only be run to take a snapshot of the drive's status. .
    Quote Quote