VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15
FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast
Thread
  1. Yea I agree, since I had to change the font Im having to retype every sentence anyway cause otherwise it wouldn`t match, and that would bother me more. So far they look really good, so I dont mind that. I will look and see if photoshop has a way to do that. I didnt think of that, thanks! If not I will try to ocr them.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Koshi7 View Post
    Im having to retype every sentence anyway cause otherwise it wouldn`t match...
    Then much better would be to OCR them. Ideally (although it doesn't always work out that way) you type each letter (capital, small, italics if any) once and that's all. They're recognized after that. Takes around 15 minutes maybe, for a whole movie.

A couple of programs can even do it automatically (but not always well), DVDSubEdit and Subtitle Edit.
    Quote Quote  
  3. This may be complicating things, I dont know but if I ocr them, make srt file, put in subtitlecreator, fix errors, font, and color, and save. Is it possible to put it back into Dvdsubedit to fix timing and put back onto the Dvd?

Im asking this cause I just spent the last week figuring out Dvdsubedit, so I know how to use it now. But with subtitlecreator I only know how to fix font and color, dont know how to do anything like the timing of subs or anything else.
    I know Im going in circles here but Im just trying to figure out the easiest way to get what I want without having to figure out another program.
    If I use subtitlecreator, I can fix the errors, color, font, and get my subs outlined right. So then can I put it back onto Dvdsubedit to fix any timing issues and then put it back onto the Dvd movie?

Again thanks for your patience, like I said Im new to all this so Ive kinda had to wing it. Ive had to figure out these programs, learn what everything means. Try and try again until I figure something out but like you said it is an adventure. And I have learned so much in the past 2 weeks from all of this. So I dont regret doing this and you have helped me tremendously. I do want to finish this well, which is why Im asking so many questions. So please hang in there with me.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Timings? If you're doing the OCR then almost all subtitle programs can edit the timings. I use Substation Alpha. Others use Subtitle Workshop. There are many good programs for that purpose. Some can play the video along with the subs, or a WAV file, or both, to help with the timings. VisualSubSynch is a good program that allows you to use both the audio and video to aid in synching the subs better.

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/VisualSubSync

SubtitleCreator can also edit the timings for your SRT file. Go to Edit->Edit Text, and then choose what you want to do. Yes, DVDSubEdit can also adjust the timings, but it's awkward and I wouldn't recommend doing it in that program. The procedure is explained in Section 3 of the manual. I'd do it first with the text-based sub, and not a graphics-based sub in the DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hello, thanks for your help, the added subt show in WinDVD but they are delayed by a couple of seconds. Can it be a problem with WInDVD? is there a simple way to fix it? I don't want to go over it from scratch again.

Thanks once more
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Cristina Borello View Post
    ...the added subt show in WinDVD but they are delayed by a couple of seconds.
    Sorry, but I didn't get notified of your previous post.

Yes, it's a simple matter to change the timings by the same amount. It depends on the subs. If in a DVD then the timings can be changed by the same amount using DVDSubEdit. 'Open Full Domain', and then follow section 3.2 of the guide here:

http://download.videohelp.com/DVDSubEdit/UserManual/helpfile.htm

That same guide is in your computer and can be accessed using the 'Help' button in the program. If you want to change the timings of the original SRT subs, I use the 'Synchronize' button in SubtitleCreator, but most subtitling programs can do it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ha, ha! I typed Help!!!! because I added something irrelevant to mye question and when I wanted to delete it the system only allowed me to change it for a new message. I should have been more diplomatic though. Thanks, I'll try your suggestion.
    Quote Quote  
  8. manono, sorry to bother you again but I made the change manually with DVDSubEdit and it works perfectly well for about the first 20 mins an the it gets messed up again? I got no clue what the problem is.
    Quote Quote  
  9. What are you saying? That the subs got into synch, but only for the first 20 minutes? And after that they were as just as before?

Did you open the full domain? Did you check that all the subs were there, that they included the entire film? Maybe part of it is in a different title (PGC). If so, you'll have to open a new domain to get those subs fixed.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Manono, thanks for all your help. I found out what the problem was. My dvd folder and the addtional subtitles I took from the internet are from different cuts: the dvd rip has an extra scene missing in the srt. That's why they will never get into synch. The software and the help you provided have proven wonderful. As I hadn't seen the film for a couple of years I didn't notice the problem at fisrts. But for this problem everything would been perfect. I recommend everyone to follow this guide because it really works.

Cheers everyone!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Cristina Borello View Post
    the dvd rip has an extra scene missing in the srt. That's why they will never get into synch.
    Sure they will. It's difficult to do with the final DVD itself, but an SRT (or, for me, an SRT converted to SSA) can have the sub timings corrected piecemeal - different parts can be resynched separately. It takes time but in principle it's not difficult.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am new to this Forum and have zero knowledge of the high tech solutions you experienced Members are all so skilled at. I would be most grateful for some advice.
    I have copies of a very rare French film (LE PETIT CHOSE) from 1938 on VHS and also DVD. It seems that there does NOT exist a copy anywhere of this film with English Subtitles. Perhaps there is a copy somewhere but I have not succeeded to locate such a version.

A company I contacted in the USA has quoted a price of more than $ 2500 (Two Thousand Five Hundred dollars US) to translate this 85 minute film and create a DVD with professional quality subtitles in English. This price is far outside my budget.

Can anyone suggest a solution for me to create a DVD version of this French film with perfect accurate English Subtitles for under $ 500 (Five Hundred dollars US). Are there now today in existence new cutting edge technologies that can solve this challenge quickly and at a reasonable cost that is not Labor intensive and time consuming.
    Any help with this project will be deeply appreciated. Am I allowed to supply a contact address here ??? I am in New York City.
    I can be reached at david (underscore) pakter (at) msn (dot) com
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    DAVIDPAKTER - Not your fault as you're new here, but this thread has gotten completely out of hand. We'd really prefer that guide threads not get monstrously long, but people have been posting here for years so it is what it is. But you'd have probably been better off to have just started a new thread.

If you can find a copy of the DVD with French subtitles, it is possible to rip those. We have guides. Convert the ripped subtitles to SRT format (we have guides on that too). Give the SRT subtitles file to someone who can do translation and you can probably save some money on that $500 fee you propose.

There is no way to do this automatically. Computer translation is pretty good for some languages, but not "perfect accurate" by any means. I can speak Russian reasonably well and a few years ago I converted some Russian subs to English. It was pretty painstaking. I had to do a million cut and pastes to copy my translated English subs on top of the original Russian ones and then save that and mux that back into the DVD using the guide here. If you don't have access to a DVD with French subs, you'll have to just pay whatever it costs to anybody willing to do this work. You may have to hire a native speaker to just write the dialogue down in French and maybe translate it for you, but then you have to find someone willing to do the work to get the subs timed correctly. I've heard of people who do this for money, but I don't have any sources. I've just heard that supposedly people are willing to do it.

I did a quick search and Amazon France does not seem to have a DVD of this film, which means it may be quite difficult or maybe impossible to find a DVD with French subtitles, which leads to the complications above. If you have the subs you can pay for translation once you get them in SRT format and you can just cut and paste the translated text on top of the original text yourself. Be warned though that you may need to give a copy of the film to the translator even if you rip the subs. A lot of words have multiple meanings and the exact meaning may be impossible to determine without the reference of the film to put it in context.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To jman98: Thank you so much for your lightning fast reply to my Post. I expected to wait weeks to receive a reply. Instead your reply arrived within a few minutes and made my day. Sometimes in life we get lucky. You understand my problem quite well and you are totally correct that this job requires someone who is a native French speaker or the equivalent who is able to catch all the subtle nuances in the original dialogue of this 1938 French film based on the 1868 novel written by the great French writer, ALPHONSE DAUDET.

LE PETIT CHOSE, 1938, was Directed by the famous French Director, Maurice Cloche and featured some of the great Stars of French Cinema including the young Robert Lynen and the Divine French Diva: ARLETTY.

The film was based on the great early autobiographical novel of the same title by ALPHONSE DAUDET (1840 - 1897). The book first appeared in 1868 when Daudet was still in his late twenties.

See following comments by W.P. Trent quoted immediately below:

"Little What's-His-Name (Le Petit Chose) - Alphonse Daudet's (1840-1897) first published, (though not his first written), novel - appeared in 1868. The first part was composed in that Southern France it describes so charmingly; its first chapters form one of the most touching of autobiographies.

"In the second part Daudet has to tell of the struggles of an idealistic young poet in the selfish, devouring whirlpool of Paris. The whole book seems to bear the impress of the circumstances under which it was written. It is full of the milk of human kindness.

"--- When Daudet wrote Le Petit Chose in his early manhood, he succeeded in producing one of the most delightfully idyllic of his works, one that will probably continue to be read as long as any of the more powerful novels of his prime. It is one of the most perfect representations in literature of childhood's hopes and fears and of youth's aspirations and defeats. It is perfect because it is real.

"--- Enjoy to the full one of the purest and most exquisite stories of youthful experience to be found in French or in any other literature." (W. P. Trent)

What makes the film even more poignant, to the part of human heartbreak, is that the hero of the film, played by Robert Lynen, who was only about 18 at the time the film was made, was arrested by the Gestapo, only four years later when the Nazis occupied Paris. His "crime" was that he had joined the French Resistance and he was shortly after his arrest, imprisoned in Marseilles and later executed in Karlsruhe, Baden, Germany, in 1943.

Robert Lynen, a rising star among young French actors, was only 22 at the time of his untimely and tragic death at the hands of the German war machine.

Thus, not only is Alphonse Daudet's autobiographical story, LE PETIT CHOSE, full of great pathos in and of itself, but the fate of the film version's young star, in real life, ended in equal tragedy.

For many years I have been haunted and troubled by the fact that this very rare 1938 film has never been made available to English speaking movie going audiences with subtitles. The book itself of course was long ago translated into English- but never has the film version been available with English subtitles which is a great pity and a situation that cries out to be corrected.

I have spent the past three years researching how best to correct this situation and who would be most qualified to handle this artistic challenge.

Clearly, not all translators are equally equipped to deal with such a situation where a film is based on a great work of literature and where the film version directed by a great artist in his own right, Maurice Cloche, (with screenplay adapted by Robert Destez) requires someone who can create English subtitles that will precisely capture completely each and every minute nuance and subtlety of the spoken French dialogue in the film.

Indeed, only a translator who possesses an infinite sensitivity to the intricacies of the French language and in fact a certain poetic literary nature can do justice to the challenge of creating English subtitles for Maurice Cloche's film version of Alphonse Daudet's LE PETIT CHOSE.

I once heard that there existed a version of the film that was shown in Spain or Italy but whether such a version was dubbed into those languages or actually contained Spanish or Italian subtitles remains a big question. I have never succeeded to locate these films in Spain or Italy.

Would there be any advantage to post my original POST in a new Thread in this Forum and what Thread would be best. I am new to all these things.

I must thank you again jman98 for all your efforts to assist me and offer your valuable advice. If you speak to any of your contacts in the future perhaps you can mention this project and enquire who could assist me. You appear to be highly educated and skilled in many languages and highly advanced computer skills. Perhaps you may know someone who speaks perfect French and could supply the text for creating the subtitles in the future.

Please stay in touch with me and advise where else I can Post this thread to reach people who may be interested.

I am a Portrait painter and expert in the Drawing and Oil Painting Techniques of the Old Masters. Please see OldMasterPortraits (dot) com

Thank you once again for your valuable reply and suggestions which are most deeply appreciated.
    Kindest personal regards, David Pakter, New York
    Quote Quote  
  15. This thread is okay. Together with a French friend of mine, we can do it. Please PM me for details and information.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately the only people I've ever heard of who do this kind of thing cheaply are some people who do it for Mandarin or Cantonese films, which isn't of much use to you. But looks like manono can help.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Hi to all!

I'd like to ask a little help here. I hope this topic is still alive. I've been searching a solution to my problem here and there but didnt find any. Here is my problem: I have a very complex dvd which contains 3 version of the same film. (Blade runner archival versions - which is a part of the 5 disc special edition) This dvd has a nice menu as well. On this dvd every version has several audio and subtitle track. But none in my language. (Hungarian). What I would like to do is replace one of the audio and subtitle track to my language on all 3 version and keep the menu structure as it was. Let's see how far I got until now. I took apart the whol thing with PGC Demux. So far I edited together one of the version of the film(with Muxman); nicely with my language and my subtitle and it works seperately. But i have serious problem putting back this version to the original dvd. I using Vobblanker (not the first time so I have a few success before with this program.) My first problem was a celltime problem using muxman but I rewrite the number in the last line of the celltimes.txt and a program completed its job.(It was a "Reference to non-existant scene ...etc " problem). After this I really got stuck. In Vobblanker I cannot replace a title (first I didnt have an active replace button about some ILV angle problem but I fixed this in PGC edit). Actually it works but not in a normal way. What a program does mixed all the part of a three version and a movie which is 2 hours long will be almost 4 hours. ...
    On the original dvd the three version works like putting together the right parts depends on which verison of the movie you wanna watch. . So the dvd hasnt 3 different big file in vobblanker at the replace section, but it has 3 different title in pgcedit if I look into it.
    I cannot explain better I hope you guys have found a similar dvd with a similar problem and you can help out of this. I'd really appreciate it. I can attach logfile if necessary. Or if you can give me direction to right tutorial for the solution of this problem that would be nice. Thanks a lot for any help.
    Here is a little part of the vobblanker log file where the problem starts
    --------------TITLE VOB PREPARING PHASE-
    VTS 01: Keeping PGC 01
    VTS 01: Replacing PGC 02 by K:\_ARCHIVAL_VERSIONS_INT_THEATRICAL_CUT_tortenet\ PROBA_06\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.IFO
    Cells to be replaced =5.
    Cells in replacing VOB=53
    WARNING: Number of Cells higher in replacing title. Extending last cell
    VTS 01: Keeping PGC 03

As it seems here it is trying to replace PGC 02 but I cannot understand why it says "cells to be replaced = 5" 'cause the original title has 53 cells as well...
    I have attached the logfile.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  18. You have a so called "multi story" title, using interleaved cells. That means, as you have understood, that the 3 titles are mixed together in a single file. The parts that are common to the 3 versions are stored only once, and the parts that are specific to some versions are "interleaved". That means that unfortunately, there is no way to add an external audio or subtitle stream without a complex re-authoring of the whole DVD, because you cannot tell how the subtitles must be split and how some parts of the subtitles must be repeated in the interleaved sections.

There is only one practical way to watch the movie with your subtitles. You should demux the version corresponding to your subtitles with PgcDemux, and use VobBlanker to add your subtitles to that version only, and re-author that title with muxman. You have already made that correctly. You should now burn that version. But the possibilities stop here. You cannot replace that movie within the original VOBs without messing up the complex interleaved structure of the original DVD.

It is theoretically possible to do it with a high end authoring tool, but you will have to add the same subtitle streams to the 3 versions of the movie anyway, and then rebuild the original structure manually. It's a long and very difficult job, that requires expensive programs and a long learning curve. (I don't think muxman can do it, and certainly not the free version.)

Sorry for the bad news.
    r0lZ - PgcEdit homepage Hosted by VideoHelp (Thanks Baldrick)
    - BD3D2MK3D A tool to convert 3D BD to 3D SBS/T&B/FS MKV
    Quote Quote  
  19. Well r0lZ, thanks for your quick and detailed explanation. I understood what my problem is. So unfortunately I wont able to do what I meant to do. But the main point is at least I am not struggling further on it. Now on I can move onto Blu-ray authoring, I hope this technique as not the same as dvd -as you call multi-story- structure, cause my next subject is a 3 different version contained Terminator2 BD in which I want to replace audio and subtitle as well. Actually I did one similar BD already, Payback (Extend and Theatrical cut) and it seems fine. Perhaps if you do know any good tutorial in this subject please share with me. But I know this is a whole new and different story and it is not belong to this topic.
    Have a good day and thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Sorry bother you again but one thing came across my mind with the "multi-story" blade runner dvd. My question is; Am I able to do a 3 different verison on three different dvd's where the other two version is inactive and of course with keeping the menu alive. So how can I do a three different version of the movie on three different discs, where the other two versions are inactive. Can I do that? How? I hope i can. It seems a suitable solution to my problem. Please put me in the right gear how can I do it.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Blu-ray has also a concept similar to the "multi-story" titles of the DVDs, but it is handled completely differently. Instead of interleaving the cells together in the same VOB files, like in the DVDs, the parts are kept in totally separated M2TS files. They are put together with playlists (the MPLS files). So, for example, you may have 3 different playlists that call the same M2TS files (for the common parts) and several different MPLS files (for the parts that are different in the 3 versions). Honestly, I don't know if it is possible to add a new stream only in one version of the movie, but it's perhaps possible if that stream is added after the existing ones, and of course, if that stream is not selectable when one of the versions without the new stream is played. Anyway, sorry, but I can't help much on blu-ray authoring. I'm not interested in copying or modifying my BDs. I prefer to convert them to MKV.

The problem of the menu of your DVD is complex. It is made to support a DVD with 3 titles, and modifying it to support the re-authored DVD with only a single title is possible but not really easy. You will have to analyse the original authoring, and modify it so that the right PGC will be called. That means also that the page of the menu that allows you to select the version you want to watch must be either removed, or at least entirely modified. Unfortunately, I can't explain precisely how to do it, because each DVD is different, and without the original DVD, I can't analyse it. But the principle is simple. You should copy the original DVD, then remove two of the 3 existing titles (with the 2 last options of PgcEdit's Domain menu), and replace the last title with the re-authored one (with File -> Replace VTST Title). When you will have the new title in place, you must disable the menu buttons that lead to the 2 versions of the movie that are not present any more, and fix the command of the remaining button so that it will call the remaining title. (This can probably be done simply by copying the command of the button leading to the first version in the button leading to the remaining button.)

I can't explain how to do it with more precise instructions, sorry. But if you have a problem, post your questions here with all useful information, and I'll try to explain...
    Quote Quote  
  22. Well I think I accomplished my mission. What I did almost the same thing what you wrote but with a little different on deleting titles in VTS with PGC edit. What I did that I clicked with right mouse on both the unwanted titles and choose "Kill pgc playback". And then I used vobblanker to replace the title (what i chose to stay) with the version I put together earlier with a hungarian stuff on it. After that deleted the two unwanted versions buttons with PGC edit, some photoshop work on the appropriate menus to change the spanish audio and subtitle to hungarian and...i guess that's all. It is working, remaining menus are working, the whole thing seems just fine, so far.
    But I wondering what domain menu option in PGC Edit was you mentioned I should have used to instead of "kill pgc playback" ? Perhaps the "Remap PGCs of Domain" or the "Delete last PGC in Domain"? Maybe these are the better solutions and not mine. But what do you think of my "Kill PGC playback" solution?
    Now I am still working with the other two version, I hope they can be substitutional in vobblanker as well as the version that I already replaced.
    I'll keep you informed about any success or failure.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Kill PGC Playback should work just fine. The difference is that Kill just blanks out the PGC, but leaves it in place, while the method I have suggested removes completely the two useless PGCs. But Kill has the advantage that it handles the difficult part for you. It modifies automatically the navigation commands of the killed PGC so that it cannot be played any more. With my method, it is necessary to modify manually the menu so that the 2 buttons leading to the removed titles become inactive (or otherwise a navigation error can occur). So, you have found the easiest way to do it. It's perfect!

But you can also modify the versions selection menu (or, better, remove it completely), since it doesn't make sense to select a button that will jump to a killed PGC and therefore return immediately without playing anything. So, you can also Kill Playback of the menu PGC with the selection of the 3 versions. You will be prompted to select a button, and you should select the button leading to the version you have kept. That way, when you will play the DVD, the menu will be bypassed and the right movie will be called directly.
    Of course, that can be done only if the menu PGC has only the buttons corresponding to the 3 versions (and a back button). If it's the main menu, with also other buttons for, for example, select other bonuses or change the languages, you cannot kill it. In that case, you should only hide the 2 useless buttons with the menu editor.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Thanks
    Last edited by Cristina Borello; 24th Nov 2014 at 10:08.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried multiple ways of manually fixing of this that I found around the web and none of them would work.

After some trial and error, here's the command syntax that finally worked for me under Windows 7 64-bit.

1. In the Windows Start menu, type CMD in the search box.
    2. Right-click the cmd.exe and choose Run as Administrator.
    3. If prompted, enter the Admin password.
    4. Now use this command:

%systemroot%\SysWoW64\regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\SubtitleCreator\SCSubtitleFilter.ax"

That got the filter registered. Unfortunately, it didn't fix the problem. Subtitle Creator still doesn't think the filter is installed/registered.
    Quote Quote  
  26. the text is not corresponding with the color i created in the subtitlecreator
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm entirely new to this sort of thing and have never attempted it previously, so I just had a few questions that I hope can be clarified prior to my undertaking this task.

1) Will the edits made using this method remain on the DVD itself, or must you burn a new copy after making the edits on your PC?

2) Can the subtitles that are already on the disc be edited? I have copies of some Japanese films that had English subtitles added by another person, but there are some spelling errors that I'd be interested in fixing if possible.

Thanks for your consideration and any assistance you can offer me as a newcomer.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Just follow the Method 2 as detailed in the first post in this thread.

Originally Posted by CrookBu41 View Post
    1) Will the edits made using this method remain on the DVD itself, or must you burn a new copy after making the edits on your PC?
    You can't edit a DVD on disk. You either create the subs and add them to the DVD (the subject of this guide) with that DVD already decrypted to the hard drive or you extract subtitles from the DVD and edit them before then adding them back to the DVD (with the DVD also already on the hard drive). When all done and tested out, you then burn your DVD to disk again.

2) Can the subtitles that are already on the disc be edited?
    Yes. You extract them to text-based subs, edit them, and stick them back into the DVD. Extracting subs is a different subject entirely but, in principle, not all that difficult. And for editing the subs, you'll need to learn your way around a subtitling program, although just for correcting spelling errors you can do it in Notepad or something similar.
    Quote Quote  
  29. I'm trying to add eng subs to an italian dvd but i'm stuck at the part where i have to enable the subs in pgcedit. The DVD is 16:9 and it already has 2 subtitle tracks.

Under sub-picture VOB's decoding streams

it shows up as

0 | 0 0 0 0
    1 | 0 1 1 0

What numbers should i use for the third subtitle?
    Quote Quote