VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Several years ago I used a Panasonic DVD recorder to create DVDs from an 8mm camcorder. I would now like to copy these DVDs to my hard drive to preserve the files and to be able to stream them to a PS3.

For each DVD that I try, the entire "Video_TS" folder and it's associated files appear to copy over to my HDD just fine, however only about 10 seconds will play. I have tried everything I can think of to import / convert these files but with no success. (Meaning I've tried Handbrake, Movie Maker, Movie Studio Platinum, FixVTS, DVD Decrypter, and other video conversion tools that I can't even remember any more...) I've tried viewing them with VLC both by simply double clicking on the "VTS_01_1.VOB" file, and by selecting that file with "Media - Open Disc", but get the same results - the videos play for about 10 seconds and that's it.

Can anyone help me understand what I need to do?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    How big is the vob file?
    What does mediainfo say about the vob? Running time.
    Have you tried "remux" the vob to mpg with vob2mpg or to ts with tsmuxer?

And try also copy on another computer/dvd drive.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Hi - thanks, I really appreciate the help.

The files are all 13.4MB. I just downloaded and installed VOB2MPG, but keep getting the "0xD0000135" error when trying to run it... I then tried tsMuxer, and created a .ts file and a .m2ts file, both of which played for the usual 10 seconds or so. I'll paste the mediainfo results for the VOB video file below (I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting this info...) Note the duration - I think it says 1 second?

The file copied to an external drive:
    General
    Complete name : N:\Videos\temp will this ever work\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB
    Format : MPEG-PS
    File size : 13.4 MiB
    Duration : 1s 441ms
    Overall bit rate : 78.1 Mbps

Video
    ID : 224 (0xE0)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : Main@Main
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, Matrix : Custom
    Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=15
    Format settings, picture structure : Frame
    Bit rate : 76.3 Mbps
    Maximum bit rate : 9 100 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Standard : NTSC
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 7.367
    Time code of first frame : 00:00:00;00
    Time code source : Group of pictures header
    GOP, Open/Closed : Open
    GOP, Open/Closed of first frame : Closed
    Stream size : 13.1 MiB (97%)

The file as seen on the actual DVD:
    General
    Complete name : D:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB
    Format : MPEG-PS
    File size : 13.4 MiB
    Overall bit rate : 78.1 Mbps

Video
    ID : 224 (0xE0)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : Main@Main
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, Matrix : Custom
    Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=15
    Format settings, picture structure : Frame
    Bit rate : 76.3 Mbps
    Maximum bit rate : 9 100 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Standard : NTSC
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 7.367
    Time code of first frame : 00:00:00;00
    Time code source : Group of pictures header
    GOP, Open/Closed : Open
    GOP, Open/Closed of first frame : Closed
    Stream size : 13.1 MiB (97%)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've seen this before. There's segmentation in your VOBs, info that the container keeps, typically from DVR authoring, and it affects playback on certain systems. It may play fine in some DvD players, but will be problematic elsewhere.

The problem is likely at the container level, not the MPEG-2 video. I would just remove the authoring of the DVR entirely, and just convert it to *.mpg. But you have to do it properly, not with just a file renaming.

If the free tools, such as those Baldrick recommended, don't work for you, you can try Nero Vision - converts to *.mpg easily. Or, hopefully someone chimes in with another free tool.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    dave
    you mention copying
    have you tried playing the DVD, will it play in your pc
    IF so, you can do a screen capture recording, while not Ideal.. it will at least give you a playable version, IF the dvd will play
    you can try vlc, MPC, or PowerDVD to play the DVD
    there are several screen recording programs available, some free
    VLC evven has the option
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It isn't necessary to record the screen if VLC can play the DVD, All someone needs to do click on the record button at the point where they want to begin recording to save as the original audio and video to an mpg file. (The button background is blue while recording.) Clicking the record button again stops recording. If the record button (its icon is a red dot) isn't visible then it can be added by clicking view->advanced controls. The videos are saved in Windows videos library.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for all the suggestions. So far no luck:

I downloaded and installed the trial version of Nero 2016. I tried its "Convert Video files" software, importing the file I had copied to my HDD, and was only able to make the same 10 second clips as before. I also tried to import from the DVD itself, but while it said it was importing the file, it just seemed kind of stuck... it stayed at 0% for about ten minutes. Should I try that again, and give it more time to import? Was I even using the correct piece of the Nero suite of tools?

I am able to play the DVD as a DVD on my PC. Using VLC it works if I open it from the DVD itself using the menu path "Media, Open Disc".

Lastly, I tried to capture the video as it was playing using VLC. Unfortunately I only ended up with audio - there was no video - just a black screen…

Again - appreciate the help... Anything other recommendations or corrections to what I've described trying so far?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I would first double-check to make sure that the disc(s) weren't recorded in DVD-RAM RT mode (not likely but could easily account for the fragmentation issues).
    Assuming true DVD-Video VOBs, I would rip using DVD-Decryptor. Not because it needs decrypting, but because the app has a good un-authoring/demuxing feature, with the nice byproduct that in the process it seems to piece together fragmented sections well.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    videoreplay will record it
    however there is some free software you can try first

i use videoreplay..no connection with the author, just a happy customer
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    I would first double-check to make sure that the disc(s) weren't recorded in DVD-RAM RT mode (not likely but could easily account for the fragmentation issues).
    How would one be able to determine if the DVDs were recorded in DVD-RAM RT mode? I've seen DVD video mode DVDs, DVD+VR mode DVDs, and DVD-VR mode DVDs but never heard of DVD-RAM RT before now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    RT is just another name for -VR mode.

You would tell from the file/folder structure. But don't be fooled prematurely by the presence of VIDEO_TS folder, as that can just contain shortened VOB/IFO files which really consist of playlist info pointing to the actual media which resides in a different folder (the RTAS).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Davems4519 View Post
    Several years ago I used a Panasonic DVD recorder to create DVDs from an 8mm camcorder. I would now like to copy these DVDs to my hard drive to preserve the files and to be able to stream them to a PS3.

For each DVD that I try, the entire "Video_TS" folder and it's associated files appear to copy over to my HDD just fine, however only about 10 seconds will play. I have tried everything I can think of to import / convert these files but with no success. (Meaning I've tried Handbrake, Movie Maker, Movie Studio Platinum, FixVTS, DVD Decrypter, and other video conversion tools that I can't even remember any more...) I've tried viewing them with VLC both by simply double clicking on the "VTS_01_1.VOB" file, and by selecting that file with "Media - Open Disc", but get the same results - the videos play for about 10 seconds and that's it.

Can anyone help me understand what I need to do?
    have you tried dvdfab??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded and installed the trial version of Nero 2016. I tried its "Convert Video files" software, importing the file I had copied to my HDD, and was only able to make the same 10 second clips as before. I also tried to import from the DVD itself, but while it said it was importing the file, it just seemed kind of stuck... it stayed at 0% for about ten minutes. Should I try that again, and give it more time to import? Was I even using the correct piece of the Nero suite of tools?
    Did you try Nero Vision? If so, just import the DvD (and export, and/or check its folders for *.mpg conversions after). Try several formats of DvD as well if the new version lists them. Also, if your video from the DvD shows on the interface you're on your way - especially if it displays them with their full times (instead of 10 seconds).

I'm still using a very old version of Nero (which still very much suits my needs), so not sure what the new suite would contain. Hopefully it's similar for this task.

I'm wondering how large your files are for uploading, but I'm certain one of us can figure it out with a sample.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Success! I used Nero Video to import from the DVD itself, and then export to MPEG-2. It cost me a few bucks to upgrade from the trial version but it's well worth it to finally get this working...

Thanks again to all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Success! I used Nero Video to import from the DVD itself, and then export to MPEG-2. It cost me a few bucks to upgrade from the trial version but it's well worth it to finally get this working...

Thanks again to all.
    Happy to hear this.

Several here will criticize Nero as "bloatware" or even it being a virus, and maybe some of it is true, but such is easily uninstalled or removed via Start/Run. And, although not expensive, several will still prefer the free tools, which is understandable.

And I don't use it much these days. But I still keep it around, because I know, that when you need Nero for that odd job, no one beats it, and it's worth every penny.
    Quote Quote