VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I'm new here on the forums, and I'm pretty nooby with video editing as well. I'll try to keep my question brief. I have a Region 2 PAL DVD of the animated film Turtles Forever, and I want to know how I can restore it to its original frame rate. I've tried researching this topic a lot, but I don't know if I quite understand yet. I've ripped it with MakeMKV, but I also see other methods of acquiring the dvd rip, and I really just don't know which one I should do. I've read all sorts of threads on here about deinterlace and detelecine filters, but I wasn't sure if my case was different because its a cartoon. The more I looked into it, the worse it sorta got. Once I noticed the interlacing and frame blending, it has become impossible to unsee and it just hinders the entire experience for me. I've been dealing with this for about 3 months now, and I have yet to solve it. How can I go about fixing this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Please post an M2V sample cut using DGIndex, not an MKV. 10-seconds of steady movement will be plenty. Mark off a suitable section and File->Save Project and Demux Video.

You'll probably need AviSynth to fix any serious problems.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I've dealt with this movie. You need to deinterlace followed by srestore to remove all of the blended frames. If I recall correctly it does not have PAL speed up, so decimate back to 23.976fps directly.

Something like this:

MPEG2SOURCE(clip.d2v)
    i=last
    QTGMC() #MAYBE USE A DIFFERENT BOBBER OR TRY TO PRESERVE THE FIELDS WITH SOURCEMATCH PARAMETER
    srestore(frate=23.976,dclip=i.bob(-0.2,0.6).reduceflicker(strength=1))
    Last edited by SaurusX; 12th Dec 2018 at 10:23.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Please post an M2V sample cut using DGIndex, not an MKV. 10-seconds of steady movement will be plenty. Mark off a suitable section and File->Save Project and Demux Video.

You'll probably need AviSynth to fix any serious problems.
    So I'm assuming it's not as simple as converting an MKV to M2V, and that I'll have to use the DVD VOB. Also, what qualifies as steady movement? I don't wanna pick a clip incorrectly. I've looked at AviSynth, but I was intimidated by all the scripting because of how new I was to video editing and such. I've mainly been using Handbrake and Infognition's Video Enhancer 2 for a little while. The filters on those programs haven't given me too great of results, I would assume AviSynth can probably do a better job.
    Originally Posted by SaurusX View Post
    I've dealt with this movie. You need to deinterlace followed by srestore to remove all of the blended frames. If I recall correctly it does not have PAL speed up, so decimate back to 23.976fps directly.

Something like this:

MPEG2SOURCE(clip.d2v)
    i=last
    QTGMC() #MAYBE USE A DIFFERENT BOBBER OR TRY TO PRESERVE THE FIELDS WITH SOURCEMATCH PARAMETER
    srestore(frate=23.976,dclip=i.bob(-0.2,0.6).reduceflicker(strength=1))
    I'm glad someone else has. It's given me quite the trouble. I wasn't sure if it was sped up from 24 to 25 for PAL, or slowed down to 25 from the NTSC version. Here's my experience recently. I used MakeMKV to rip it, then I went through Handbrake to see if I could do something about the interlacing. I get lost really easily and I typically don't know what I'm doing. But, I ended up turning on the Detelecine filter and setting the frame rate to a peak of 23.976, and that seemed to work for a good chunk of the movie. Towards the end of the film, however, most of the frames were back to interlaced. I messed around with it a lot after that, but haven't found a satisfactory result. Also, when you say deinterlaced followed by srestore, can that be done at the same time? Or is it better to apply them seperately?

I'm starting to realize AviSynth is probably my best bet. I've never used it before, however. Are there any really basic guides to getting started with it? Or better yet, any guides for AviSynth deinterlace and srestore filters? To be really honest, this is probably the only time I will ever do something like this. Once I'm done with this project, I'll probably be done with AviSynth for good.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Fez View Post
    I'm starting to realize AviSynth is probably my best bet. I've never used it before, however. Are there any really basic guides to getting started with it? Or better yet, any guides for AviSynth deinterlace and srestore filters? To be really honest, this is probably the only time I will ever do something like this. Once I'm done with this project, I'll probably be done with AviSynth for good.
    My apologies for jumping right into the AVISynth script, but I assumed that's what you were already using. In this case, you will have to use AVISynth to fix these issues. Handbrake isn't capable.

Check your PM's.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Fez View Post
    So I'm assuming it's not as simple as converting an MKV to M2V
    You could extract the M2V from the MKV, yes, but you might as well learn how to do it right.

Also, what qualifies as steady movement?
    ? A panning shot. A scrolling shot. Someone walking down the street. You don't want someone sitting at a table and talking and really fast action is often problematic.

I've mainly been using Handbrake...
    Handbrake is useless for blended fields.

I ended up turning on the Detelecine filter and setting the frame rate to a peak of 23.976, and that seemed to work for a good chunk of the movie.
    If you know what to look for (blended frames), you'll know it didn't work at all. It was never telecined (if it's field-blended) so it can't be IVTC'd (detelecined).

when you say deinterlaced followed by srestore, can that be done at the same time?
    Yes, at the same time. SaurusX gave you the whole script. QTGMC bobs it (a double-rate deinterlacer) while SRestore removes the blends and returns it to its original 23.976fps.

I'm starting to realize AviSynth is probably my best bet.
    Not the best, the only.

Are there any really basic guides to getting started with it?
    Go to the website and there are pages for beginners. The required filters have their own pages. Also, read the docs included with the DGMPGDec package for the best written guides for the use of DGIndex, DGDecode, and MPEG2Source.
    Quote Quote