VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been wanting to find a TBC for using together with the Diamond VC500 to digitize VHS. There is a Panasonic DMR-EH67 being sold locally for a good price. Is the Panasonic DMR-EH67 suitable as a TBC? I have seen many rapports about the DMR-ES10/15 as TBCs, but not so much about the more recent Panasonics.

I am thankful for any advice on the matter!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't owned a EH-67(I have several EH-59s which don't have TBC) but off hand I'd say NO to using the EH-67 as a TBC. Very few Panasonics have that feature, I know about the EH-10 but I own several EH-15s and I haven't really noticed it has the TBC feature. IMO your best bet would be a real TBC, if you can get one for a decent price. The EH-67 probably makes excellent recordings(although it's possible it also may tend to macroblock with scenes of fast movement as Panasonics of that vintage tended to do) but if it were me I'd really look for a real TBC.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks jjeff! Based on your experience I will not persue the DMR-EH67 idea any further.

I have also found a Panasonic Digital AV Mixer WJ-MX20 (aka WJ-AVE55) for sale for a good price. I have read somewhere that this Panasonic video mixer series features input TBC. Do you have any experience with the WJ-MX20?
    Last edited by bjolester; 18th Apr 2016 at 08:25.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The specs sheets for these units don't help much.

I use the DMR-E55 which can work very effectively as a 'frame synchroniser' (Panasonic's own description) and yet the spec sheet here:
    http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/panasonic-dmr-e55/specs/ doesn't seem to mention anything about a time base corrector?....

On the other hand, the spec sheet for the DMR EH67 here: http://www.cnet.com/products/panasonic-dmr-eh67/specs/ does list ' time base correction' ......

AFAIK, no one has actually been able to say exactly what these old Panasonic DVD recorder do? I've seen the feature described as a 'time base corrector' or 'frame synchroniser'... someone even tried to claim it was a 'full frame' TBC (I think we can be pretty sure that one isn't true)

What ever it actually is, I've found the feature can work pretty well on cleaning up 'jitter' on certain VHS tapes...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks pippas! Panasonic DMR and tbc is difficult to quite get the grip on...

Do you have any experience with the Panasonic video mixer I mention above? I am about to plunge into a purchase just now.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by bjolester View Post

Do you have any experience with the Panasonic video mixer I mention above?
    No, I'm afraid not.... sorry..
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pippas View Post
    Originally Posted by bjolester View Post

Same here, no experience with it. Is the Datavideo TBC not available in Norge? It's one of the more popular models here at VH.
    Link compliments of LS:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/2251-tbc-time-base.html
    Last edited by jjeff; 18th Apr 2016 at 15:17. Reason: added link
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
    Originally Posted by pippas View Post
    Originally Posted by bjolester View Post

Same here, no experience with it. Is the Datavideo TBC not available in Norge? It's one of the more popular models here at VH.
    The Datavideo-TBC 1000 is not produced anymore, and is very hard to find second hand here in Norway. The TBC 5000 can be found new in shops here, but is very expensive. The Datavideo-TBC1000 can be found on eBay, but I am hesitant with buying electronics on eBay. I will be looking out for the TBC 1000 if it appears on the used marked here in Norway.
    Quote Quote