VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 19
FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Flash is everywhere...like cockroaches. That doesn't make it good. It's still unstable.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ogilvy View Post
    With all the hype on media players and HD 1080ip/hp content this thing doesn't play what still remains as one of the most common forms of video content on the internet, .flv format. Well done WD!
    FLV is the shittiest format there is. Who wants to watch a POS FLV file on a big screen TV? It's hard enough to watch in a window on a PC screen. Believe it or not, there are a whole lot more video sites than youtube.

I don't know any players that support FLV. If your FLV files are H264 in an FLV container then put them in an MKV or MP4 container. The problem isn't WD but the websites that allow H264 in an FLV container or the user than downloads the FLV instead of the MP4 file..
    Last edited by DarrellS; 12th Mar 2010 at 15:26.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Apparently it doesn't play DivX files either...or at least DivX isn't listed by WD as a supported file format
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Apparently it doesn't play DivX files either...or at least DivX isn't listed by WD as a supported file format
    You're kidding, right? Its probably the #1 reason, among many, that people get this device. Here's a direct link to the WD Live site:

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=735

And, a snippet of the supported formats:

File Formats SupportedVideo - AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG1/2/4), MPG/MPEG, VOB, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1), TS/TP/M2T (MPEG1/2/4, AVC, VC-1), MP4/MOV (MPEG4, h.264), M2TS, WMV9 Photo - JPEG, GIF, TIF/TIFF, BMP, PNGAudio - MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, AIF/AIFF, OGG, Dolby Digital, DTS
    Playlist - PLS, M3U, WPLSubtitle - SRT, ASS, SSA, SUB, SMI Note:
    - MPEG2 MP@HL up to 1920x1080p24, 1920x1080i30 or 1280x720p60 resolution.
    - MPEG4.2 ASP@L5 up to 1280x720p30 resolution and no support for global motion compensation.
    - WMV9/VC-1 MP@HL up to 1280x720p60 or 1920x1080p24 resolution. VC-1 AP@L3 up to 1920x1080i30, 1920x1080p24 or 1280x720p60 resolution.
    - H.264 BP@L3 up to 720x480p30 or 720x576p25 resolution.
    - H.264 MP@L4.1 and HP@4.1 up to 1920x1080p24, 1920x1080i30, or 1280x720p60 resolution.
    - An audio receiver is required for multi-channel surround sound digital output.
    - Compressed RGB JPEG formats only and progressive JPEG up to 2048x2048.
    - Single layer TIFF files only.
    - Uncompressed BMP only.
    For details, please refer to the user manual.

File Formats Not SupportedDoes not support protected premium content such as movies or music from the iTunes® Store, Cinema Now, Movielink®, Amazon Unbox™, and Vongo®

Note: I'm guessing that DIVX isn't directly named so they don't have to pay royalties (?) but anything with Xvid and/or MPEG4 will include Divx playback. (Given that there are SOME features, like GPC, not supported. But this is very well know among most Divx capably players.)
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My media player came in yesterday and it plays DivX and almost every other format. I posted original entry because a „Divx“ search on this thread reveals many problems with same.
    But I have one more question please...for selecting mp3's to play, I prefer to use monitor rather than TV. I need to go from composite output of media player to VGA input of monitor. I only need to display the audio menu so video quality isn't a major factor. My question...I found this device... „Geniatech V2V Pro“ http://www.geniatech.com/pa/v2vpro.asp . Has anybody any experience of said device..its quite cheap, around EU33 or so. Would really appreciate any help here. .
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by neomaine View Post
    You're kidding, right? Its probably the #1 reason, among many, that people get this device. Here's a direct link to the WD Live site:
    Yes, neomaine is quite correct. I can personally confirm that the unit plays Divx very well. In fact, I use it mostly for playing Divx files.

Note that mentioning "AVI" and "Xvid" as supported formats is your clue that Divx works, Ogilvy. I think neomaine is right that Divx is not mentioned only to avoid royalty payments.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Lets add, it will play them at high bitrates too

Let us look at the past posts for that info too
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Of course there are .divx files (DivX Ultra?) and the regular DivX created .avi files. I haven't tried it on my WDTV, but I assume it plays both, though probably without the menus/chapters of Divx Ultra.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I'm in with another question....how can I get media player to display thumbnail image for an .mp3 file while its actually playing please? On a folder level it displays, but when I get to play the file...no thumbnail image. (Folder.jpg in appropriate location, browser view)
    Last edited by Ogilvy; 27th Mar 2010 at 21:20. Reason: spelling error
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    O.K., last issue solved, it's embedded mp3. I have two more questions...
    The generic thumbnails on my player have a diagonal line running through them and it shows through on thumbnails. Is this normal?
    Quality of embedded album images on mp3 files is very poor..text is barely legible. Comments anybody?
    Quote Quote  
  11. hi everyone, I'm in the search of this kind of media player, maybe you can help me with this doubt.
    I read that it plays divx files without problem but, do you know if it can recognise divx subs? for example the ones that are embedded with XSUBMUxer ?

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  12. though probably without the menus/chapters of Divx Ultra.
    That would be a definite on that one. As any player that specs divx ultra would need to pay a licence fee to divx.org
    It would probably play a divx file renamed to an avi but would ignore all the divx specific stuff like menus and chapters and [probably xsubmuxer]. In reality divx should be paying an independent dev to implement divx ultra on the box otherwise they risk becoming (more) irrelevant, fork the linux (as I say).
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thanks for the quick response!

if anyone else have tried it, please let me know the results.

Thanks
    Quote Quote