VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi , im trying to extract the subtitles from a mp4 video file . By extract i mean Rip them so i can have a copy of them on my desktop to later use them on a clean version of the video file . The subtitles however are hard coded so I was hoping you could help me out with something . I did some searching and I found out that SubRip can rip the subs from .avi files so i'm trying to convert all of my mp4 video files to .avi first so then I can rip the subs later with SubRip 1.56.1 . Will that do ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. check with mediainfo:

if it has 2 streams (video & audio), it means the subs were burned in... which means there are no subtitles that can be extracted. totally different story if these were mkv files.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can try AviSubDetector. I believe there are other software that does the same for hard coded subs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Alternatively you could look on one of the many srt subtitle sites to check if it's already available. Depending on your jurisdiction this may or may not be legal.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by maxman32 View Post
    Hi , im trying to extract the subtitles from a mp4 video file . By extract i mean Rip them so i can have a copy of them on my desktop to later use them on a clean version of the video file . The subtitles however are hard coded so I was hoping you could help me out with something . I did some searching and I found out that SubRip can rip the subs from .avi files so i'm trying to convert all of my mp4 video files to .avi first so then I can rip the subs later with SubRip 1.56.1 . Will that do ?
    No need to convert. You can import an avs script directly into Subrip.

As blud7 said, you can give a try to AviSubDetector, Videosubfinder or esrxp.

By the way, in this case the process is called OCR, not extracting
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    You have the 'Holy Grail solution' right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHsUfqqAkWY
    The output isn't perfect, but you just have to correct stuff instead of starting from 0. I automatically generated a lot of time codes with this. It takes minutes instead of hours.
    Been searching for this solution for years and years.
    Pay close attention to the video and all its details. You're welcome.
    Quote Quote