VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm converting old NTSC VHS tapes using AmaRecTV and than encoding them using HandBrake. But I don't know which field it is before I start deinterlacing. How would I find out? Does anyone know for this capture device what it is?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Analog capture will pretty much always be top field first, so presumably that's the case here too. The exception being stuff that capture directly to the DV format like the AVDC devices or Digital8 camcorders.

With e.g Virtualdub you can load up the video, and add a deinterlacing filter manually. If you select a deinterlacing filter that doubles framerate, it's quite noticeable if the field order is wrong as the video will stutter.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by oln View Post
    Analog capture will pretty much always be top field first, so presumably that's the case here too. The exception being stuff that capture directly to the DV format like the AVDC devices or Digital8 camcorders.

With e.g Virtualdub you can load up the video, and add a deinterlacing filter manually. If you select a deinterlacing filter that doubles framerate, it's quite noticeable if the field order is wrong as the video will stutter.
    You were right, just checked it in VirtualDub and it's definitely top field. Do you think I should use HandBrake or VirtualDub for deinterlacing the lossless AVI video? Are they pretty much the same, or is one better than the other?
    Quote Quote  
  4. if you have enough drive space, you can also capture lossless with virtualdub using huffyuv codec. you can deinterlace later. so you always have a high quality capture
    Quote Quote