VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I am updating my PC to be able to edit 4K video. I started looking around for the software that I will want to use. That choise is narrowed down to Resolve and AVID.
    I have been using AVID in the past for HD projects. According to the info I can find on the internet, AVID requires a GPU from at least 500 EUR (such as Nvidia P4000/5000 and is not happy with Ryzen.
    Resolve requires a GTX 1060 (half of the price) but has a steep learning curve.
    I do not want to stress the PC with diffucult work. It will be basic editing with .mov files from GH5, 10 bit, high frame rates, no long projects. And in the future with RAW files from Black Magic Pocket Camera.
    Anybody here has experience with the newest Resolve 14 and AVID/First. On what system specs are you working?
    What specs do I need to comfortably do basic editing in AVID and/or Resolve?
    Thanks,
    Rob
    Quote Quote  
  2. Resolve (now 15) is free and Avid is free to try.

Experiment with both and see which you prefer.

Avid will work fine with a GTX 1060.

On all but the highest end systems you are probably going to be much happier working with proxies and linking back to your original files for final output.

Editing in Resolve is very similar to editing in Premiere, which is curiously off your list of options.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply. I am happy with the GPU. What processor do I need? Can I work with a Ryzen 5 or do I need a R7, or intel?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Can't speak to Ryzen CPUs from personal experience. Folks claim they are using them happily. With Avid, more cores are more important that processor speed.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Then a Ryzen should do fine, but is a 5 enough or should I get a 7?
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you were doing basic editing Resolve is very easy. Go for the 7 more cores, more future proofed. Amd is going to announce the next generation of Ryzen today so I would wait for that before buying the current lineup.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Get the R7, I run the 2700 with a Gtx 1080 and find the performance great in Resolve.

Also Amd is announcing new Ryzen cpus today so maybe hold off for a few days.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you know a source for information about these new processors?
    Quote Quote