VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have many miniDV tapes which I used a Canon VIXIA HV30 camcorder. I have long since sold this camcorder (why?) and now I want to get all that footage off these tapes and on disk (PlexTV and DVD to family).

Should I look for a used HV30 camcorder or will any HDV camcorder do?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    in theory any HDV cam/deck would do. but not all heads are aligned the same and not all cams had the same features. like if you recorded in 30p a lot of cams wouldn't recognize it. so first pick would be your old hv30, 2nd another hv30, 3rd an hv20 or hv40, last any other HDV cam/deck.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks, that is what I thought....
    Quote Quote  
  4. I've captured my HDV on a few cameras/decks other than the Sony FX1 on which they were recorded. I did not have a problem. Back in the day (20 years ago) there were lots of rumors that if you changed from one tape brand to another while capturing a bunch of tapes, that the residual coating from the previous tape formulation would cause a problem. I never experienced that, but it's another thing to keep in the back of your mind.

I agree that the same camera model would probably be the best choice, but having transferred DV tapes on lots of different cameras and decks, all different than the recording device, and never had a problem, you probably will be OK no matter what you do with your HDV transfers.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    The only thing the OP should worry about is if his files are progressive, Only one model or two consumer camcorders were able to record in progressive and I think the HV30 is one of them, So getting the same model is safer. Though HV30 recorded 1080p from external sources only not from the camera lens according to Wikipedia.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    The only thing the OP should worry about is if his files are progressive, Only one model or two consumer camcorders were able to record in progressive and I think the HV30 is one of them, So getting the same model is safer. Though HV30 recorded 1080p from external sources only not from the camera lens according to Wikipedia.
    Yep, everything was shot in pf30 I believe. I'll be searching for a used HV30....
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    As I remember, "progressive" mode with DV and HDV NTSC cameras was 24p. However, since all TVs were still hardwired to 29.97 fps interlaced (NTSC) or 25 fps interlaced (PAL) the DV had to conform to that, so the camera added telecine. As a result, when capturing these tapes, the video is standard 29.97 or 25 fps interlaced, and you don't need to do anything special. If course if you are going to edit or do anything with it, you should IVTC before you do anything.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    That only applies to DV, HDV recorded in 24p, 25p and 29.97p (30p) and I have a deck that records all of them. HV20/30 did that in VCR mode only, If all the OP videos are shot thru the lens he should be fine with any HDV camcorder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    NO. "any HDV" cam will NOT be ok. there are some JVC HDV cams that only record/play 720p60.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote