VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Over the years I have become our family videographer having done about a half dozen family weddings.

I've done the last couple with a basic Sony HDR-CX200 as the primary camcorder, supplemented with either my old Flip video cameras or a GoPro.

I want to upgrade my primary camcorder to something that will support an external microphone and have pretty much decided on a entry level professional model. At this point my plans are to stay with HD over 4K, as I don't really see the need for 4K and will likely get more camera for the money this way.

I've pretty much narrowed the choice down to a Canon XA11 or Sony HXR-MC88. In the camera world my experience/bias would lean towards Canon over Sony. But then Sony does have a huge presence in the video world. The Sony has the minor benefit in that it uses the same family of batteries that my current camcorder uses.

My gut leans towards the Canon, but ultimately I have a strong feeling that I can't really go wrong with either choice.

Any comments, direct experience, etc. would be very welcome!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't own either one of them but looking at the specifications for both, I would flip a coin, they both look very capable.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I went with my gut and ordered the Canon today
    Quote Quote