VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have some non-copy protected videos that I want to save to hd. I have used a couple of programs successfully to do this but the vts files although they play fine don't play consecutively unless I highlight all of them in the folder before selecting play. What I would like is to be able to just click on the first file and have the movie play continuously. Any one have a suggestion on how to do this easily ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Player? Tried to play VIDEO_TS.IFO? Or make a playlist of the .VOB files. Or re-mux to a single file with MakeMKV. Or VOB2MPG.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    files that start with "vts" are part of a dvd. they end in .vob and are referred to as vob files. your best choice would be to convert the dvds to single files by either extracting and joining the mpgs that are part of the vobs or convert the dvd to mp4 to be able to use on more devices.

depending on what's left of the dvd structure might influence how easy it is to convert. you might try vidcoder and see if it can make mp4 or mkvs of your files.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. files that start with "vts" are part of a dvd. they end in .vob and are referred to as vob files. your best choice would be to convert the dvds to single files by either extracting and joining the mpgs that are part of the vobs or convert the dvd to mp4 to be able to use on more devices.
    Thanks for the replys. Is there likely much degradation in quality in converting to mp4 ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    not it you use a high enough bitrate or low enough constant quality setting.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. I had a bit rate at 900 and constant quality at 20. My first run was successful but the quality was too low. Blurry. What would you recommend for optimal settings?
    Quote Quote  
  7. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If the DVD has no copy protection, you can just copy ALL the files to a folder using Windows Explorer.

To play the DVD from the hard drive, avoid playing individual files. DVD files are intended to be played as a whole and not individually. For this you can use a program like VLC. In VLC use command Media->Open Folder... or jist drag the folder into VLC window.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  8. To play the DVD from the hard drive, avoid playing individual files. DVD files are intended to be played as a whole and not individually. For this you can use a program like VLC. In VLC use command Media->Open Folder... or jist drag the folder into VLC window.
    I want to run the videos on a samsung smart tv. It won't recognize a vlc player on an attached device.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by someguy View Post
    I want to run the videos on a samsung smart tv.
    Ugh: not this again.

People HATE hearing it, but the "players" built into TVs are almost worthless. No matter how long a laundry list of file types the instruction book claims the TV will play direct from a USB drive, inevitably the files you REALLY want to watch will prove incompatible. People drive themselves batty trying to re-code video files to make them acceptable to their cranky televisions, but its a waste of time. Get a dedicated external USB media player box, even the very cheap small ones will run rings around the built-in TV players. Or if you have a BluRay player, you can use that instead: connect your USB video drives to it, and it will likely play many more files than the TV itself will.

That aside, no TV will play the disjointed file structure copied from a dvd via Windows. Short term, try doing what videobruger suggested: rip the DVD thru MakeMKV to get a perfect, single-video-file copy of it. This MKV file will be huge, likely the same 4.3GB size of the dvd, because its an exact copy placed in a more-compatible file container. This large MKV can be used as-is, or made smaller without too much quality loss, using a utility like Handbrake (or many others).
    Last edited by orsetto; 30th Mar 2017 at 15:20.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by someguy View Post
    To play the DVD from the hard drive, avoid playing individual files. DVD files are intended to be played as a whole and not individually. For this you can use a program like VLC. In VLC use command Media->Open Folder... or jist drag the folder into VLC window.
    I want to run the videos on a samsung smart tv. It won't recognize a vlc player on an attached device.
    I think Keyser is suggesting that you install VLC on a computer, and use the computer to play DVD files and folders stored on a USB drive. The computer would be connected to the TV via HDMI and it would use the TV as a monitor. The USB drive would be connected to the computer, not the TV.

Samsung smart TVs cannot run software stored on a USB drive. Apps can only be run by a Smart TV if they are installed on the TV itself via Samsung's App store. ...but I doubt that there is a VLC app for Samsung TVs at present. There is only a VLC app for Samsung smart phones, as far as I can find out.

I agree that doing what videobruger suggested has the best chance of producing a file that the TV can play using its built-in media player.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  11. Get a dedicated external USB media player box, even the very cheap small ones will run rings around the built-in TV players. Or if you have a BluRay player, you can use that instead: connect your USB video drives to it, and it will likely play many more files than the TV itself will.
    I copied the full dvd file to a thumb drive and plugged it into my blueray player and it worked great. I did have to navigate to the first video file to start playing but no biggie. The files all played consecutively and I can live with the 2 or three extra clicks.

I want to buy a large volume external hd to populate with my media. I assume it will work at least as well as a thumb drive.

[QUOTE]I think Keyser is suggesting that you install VLC on a computer, and use the computer to play DVD files and folders stored on a USB drive. The computer would be connected to the TV via HDMI and it would use the TV as a monitor. The USB drive would be connected to the computer, not the TV. [/Q

This is what I thought i would have to do. But it appears to be unnecessary.
    Last edited by someguy; 30th Mar 2017 at 19:06.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Some of the dvd's I am copying to hd will play on a stand alone player but will not play on my older desktop dvd. One that would not play or open on my desktop dvd would open and play (slowly) on my newer laptop computer. I was thinking that maybe my older dvd desktop dvd is needing replacing. Any thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
  13. I am wanting to buy an external dvd player. The reviews I have read suggest that portable dvd storage devices are a bit slow for playing movies because of the power supply (usb).
    Quote Quote