VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I just purchased the Lacie Lacinema Classic HD.
    I put about 200GB of movies, music on it. On the desktop all the data is recognized but when i hook it up on my computerscreen (full HD) i get the message" storage disk missing or unavailable". Anyone got an idea what the problem could be? I can't play any media at all ...

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by SloeGin; 7th Jun 2012 at 13:30.
    Quote Quote  
  2. depending on the tv, it could be a number of things. you need to look at the tv manual to see what is allowed to be hooked up through the usb port. hard drives can be restricted to fat formatting, size limits, only self powered drives, or not allowed at all.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by minidv2dvd View Post
    depending on the tv, it could be a number of things. you need to look at the tv manual to see what is allowed to be hooked up through the usb port. hard drives can be restricted to fat formatting, size limits, only self powered drives, or not allowed at all.
    Sorry i meant computer screen, don't have a tv
    It's a samsung Full HDMI computer screen so i don't think that the screen would be the problem, no?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    od
    Last edited by dragonkeeper; 7th Jun 2012 at 13:56.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SloeGin View Post
    Hi,

I just purchased the Lacie Lacinema Classic HD.
    I put about 200GB of movies, music on it. On the desktop all the data is recognized but when i hook it up on my computerscreen (full HD) i get the message" storage disk missing or unavailable". Anyone got an idea what the problem could be? I can't play any media at all ...

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Most people put the cart before the horse when buying these types of things. They buy them them then later are trying to figure out why its not working or why it doesn't play the movies they put on the device. Some basic troubleshooting needs to be done.

1. You've verified you can write to the drive, but you also need to verify;
    a. That the drive can be read.
    b. The media player is actually working.
    Verify these things should eliminate the possibility of a faulty unit.

2. You failed to mention the model monitor you have, I have seen some monitors that actively try to read from any device plug into the USB port (meaning it look for certain criteria to be met a particular file system ie. fat32 or certain file types if criteria is not met an error message is displayed).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by dragonkeeper View Post
    Most people put the cart before the horse when buying these types of things. They buy them them then later are trying to figure out why its not working or why it doesn't play the movies they put on the device. Some basic troubleshooting needs to be done.

1. You've verified you can write to the drive, but you also need to verify;
    a. That the drive can be read.
    b. The media player is actually working.
    Verify these things should eliminate the possibility of a faulty unit.

2. You failed to mention the model monitor you have, I have seen some monitors that actively try to read from any device plug into the USB port (meaning it look for certain criteria to be met a particular file system ie. fat32 or certain file types if criteria is not met an error message is displayed).
    Yes the drive can be read and the media player is working.
    The monitor model is Samsnung Syncmaster P2770.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Need more info. You're holding back critical information.

1) Explain exactly how you are using this Samsung. Is it being used as a standalone TV or do you have it connected to a computer?
    2) If you have it connected to a computer, are you connecting it to a USB port on the monitor instead of on the computer? If so, why?
    3) The Lacie website has a photo that suggests that this device can be connected via USB without using the attached power cord. Are you doing this? This would very likely be your problem. If you are connecting this to a USB port on a monitor and you are not using the attached power cord, the USB port on the monitor will very likely not have sufficient power to drive your device. Plugging the Lacie into a power source will fix this.

Even if #3 is not your problem my advice is do NOT ever connect any hard drive to any device other than a PC unless the enclosure has its own power source. Just remember that for future reference.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is a media player with an inbuilt HDD, so I should imagine that the Lacie is connected to the monitor by an HDMI cable, and that the menu is showing, otherwise how could the OP see the "storage disk missing or unavailable" message? Why that message is showing though, when the files on the HDD can be seen when the Lacie connected to a computer I have no idea.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    dont have the same device, but the checkout should be equal.
    There are known problems with the internal drive for this device (you may check WARRANTY), If thats the case you are not able to setup the internal drive from the devices setup without failure.
    If you have the ability to temporary store your files on a different drive then reset device to factory default, erase lacie internal harddisk via usb from the pc using a disk eraser/wiper tool. Make shure you select the usb connected drive to wipe/erase.
    Disconnect usb and restart (off/on) device and redo the initial setup with formatting the internal drive with the LaCie attached to your hdmi display. Follow the instructions on the manual for the setup.
    If you dont get a drive initialisation/formatting failure you should be ready for testing. Disable UPnP/DLNA Service (Twonky) thus avoiding indexing of tranferred files.
    I would start transfering some files by network using the internal SMB/CIFS windows share server.
    Check if the files are accessible. Add more files. Check again.
    Dont use usb for testing, the PC is able to modify the filesystem and make it unusable for the LaCie operating system. If you attach the LaCie with USB Cable to your PC, and the PC says the drive is not formatted, do NOT format the drive by PC. It means, the pc is not able to show the content of the drive, the files are only invisible to your PC.
    If you can transfer a file via USB I would recommend checking if the files still play from the internal media player.
    Last edited by 4your:only; 10th Jun 2012 at 05:33.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I emailed support and turns out the drive is formatted in NTFS.
    In that case i have to return and exhange it for a new unit ... still not sure whether a new unit would be different .... :/
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I emailed support and turns out the drive is formatted in NTFS.
    In that case i have to return and exhange it for a new unit ... still not sure whether a new unit would be different .... :/
    NTFS may or may not be your problem, but you ignored my post telling you specifically what we needed to know to help you, so I'm done here. It's up to the others as to whether they want to stick around since you're not really in an "information providing" kind of mood.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The monitor model is Samsnung Syncmaster P2770.
    I believe this may be your problem. Some Samsung models have a USB port that is only utilized for firmware updates.
    Quote Quote