VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hy guys, so I m encoding files from dvd, I have a widescreen video which is on a ntsc dvd set in 720x480 and I need to encode it to its display aspect ratio which is 853x480, handbrake does not let me do this, is there some sort of a work around for this or do I need to use another software?
    I need to change it to display aspect ratio because my tv will otherwise play it as 4:3 video, even though it is widescreen( I play videos though usb stick).
    Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by iggyk23 View Post
    I need to encode it to its display aspect ratio which is 853x480, handbrake does not let me do this
    Yes it does. Just leave the anamorphic setting enabled. It should automatically detect the display aspect ratio of the source and pass it through to the output video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    The custom anamorphic settings, display width, par width & height can be modified but in the end the file is still 720x480, I can not make it bigger width(widescreen) than it actually is. It just modifies the display ratio but not the actual one
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    To add to jagabo's comment, you're confusing display aspect ratio (DAR) with frame size. A video with a frame size of 853x480 is not valid for YV12 encoding (you can't encode YUV color using odd-numbered frame frame widths like 853). The proper square-pixel frame proportions should be 856x480, which is a proper mod-8 frame size. The original 720x480 could be encoded with a 16:9 display aspect ratio flag (DAR) to display as wide screen without resizing the original.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  5. I believe it's not possible using HandBrake GUI alone. It only ever allows downscaling the coded resolution. So you can set "Anamorphic" to "None" and have it downscale the height to 396 instead of upscaling the width to 854 but that's it. If you absolutely need to upscale you must use CLI or AviSynth or something like that... VidCoder is an alternative GUI for HandBrake. It allows upscaling AFAIK.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    And if that video is interlaced or telecined, you'll damage it permanently by resizing unless you deinterlace or removing telecine first.
    There is no reason why your TV won't play 720x480 at the proper aspect ratio from a USB stick, unless your TV just isn't very smart.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by iggyk23 View Post
    The custom anamorphic settings, display width, par width & height can be modified but in the end the file is still 720x480
    Of course. AR flags tell the player how to display the video, regardless of the frame size. If your player/TV ignore those flags you have to resize.

Originally Posted by iggyk23 View Post
    I can not make it bigger width(widescreen) than it actually is.
    Handbrake doesn't allow you to enlarge the frame, only make it smaller. Use something else if you want to enlarge the frame.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    There is no reason why your TV won't play 720x480 at the proper aspect ratio from a USB stick, unless your TV just isn't very smart.
    Yeah, some aren't. From what I can tell HandBrake correctly sets both container and bitstream flags so it is doing everything it can. Only thing left to try would be mkv instead of mp4 (or vice versa).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Yeah, thats the only problem I have with handbrake, not being able to make a higher ratio than original file, I can easily do it in any other program, I ve been doing it before in freemake video converter, thing is sometimes video also need to be cropped a bit, you might notice on some dvds couple of lines of dead pixels on bottom or a white line on the side, so then I have to crop in one software and resize in other, and I dont want to do two encodings, I fear its much quality loss.
    Tv is lg from 6-7 years ago
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Crop and resize is done in one operation, then encoded once. You don't encode twice. You'll lose quality anyway resizing using inferior algorithms and re-encoding. You're dealing with lossy final delivery formats, which weren't designed for modification to begin with. What you describe seems to be a letterboxed DVD that plays at 4:3 DAR, so your actual starting image content isn't 720x480 full-frame anyway, the picture itself is smaller than that. Don't expect great quality unless you use some very careful methods. Handbrake isn't the way to go for this kind of work.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 16th Jul 2017 at 11:34.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Well I ve found vidcoder it can do both, so problem solved, thanks a lot for your time guys
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    vidcoder uses Handbrake's encoding.

Oh, well, there goes another train wreck. The future is here.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I was under the impression Handbrake introduced "upscaling" quite a while ago. It might default to 720xsomething or thereabouts, but doesn't it let you increase the width (anamorphic none)? It mightn't upscale if you use anamorphic encoding, but "anamorphic none" should do it. Or I could be completely wrong. I'm using an older version of Handbrake (on XP).
    Quote Quote  
  14. We wouldn't be having this discussion if it were so simple.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I may have been thinking of Vidcoder, although the Handbrake documentation gives the impression you can add your own resizing manually.

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.0.0/advanced/resizing-video.html
    Upscaling:
    The HandBrake GUI’s do not allow upscaling......

In the very rare cases that this is needed, it can be done with the command line interface with the –width and –height options.

Personally, I don't think resizing the width of a DVD "up" to square pixel dimensions should be considered upscaling. The way I look at it, you don't venture into upscaling territory until you've increased both the width and height, and until then you're just fiddling with the shape of the pixels, but that's just me.....
    Quote Quote  
  16. Everything you said has already been explained.
    HandBrake GUI does not allow upscaling.
    HandBrake CLI does allow upscaling.
    VidCoder (GUI) does allow upscaling.

("Upscaling" in the sense that the coded video width and/or height (number of rows/lines) is increased compared to the source. I'm not interested in a discussion about language.)
    Quote Quote  
  17. If you can add command line options for resizing to the GUI in the "extras" section, or whatever it's called, I don't see where anyone explained how to do it. Can you "upscale" with the GUI that way as the help file I linked to seems to imply?

I'm aware of what's considered to be upscaling for Handbrake, which is why I mentioned i don't believe resizing an anamorphic source to it's square pixel display dimensions should qualify, given the alternative is to reduce the resolution and potentially lose detail. Even a total pixel count would be a better place to draw a line in the sand.... in any language.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I don't see how the help implies these options can be added in the GUI if it only says it can be done via CLI. Either way I'm not aware of any GUI option for additional, generic CLI commands (outside of advanced video encoder options).
    Quote Quote